PDA

View Full Version : 03 info

svpdiesel
12-11-2002, 15:20
Just got a new 03 D/A LT CC/SB 4x4, built 11/05/02. Have some general info that I have seen questions about on this forum:
Has grill cover.
Has OD disable on the tow/haul button.
Has a catalytic converter in the exhaust system.
Has the BLACK switch on the trans., not the TAN.
Fuel/trip computer is accurate so far.
Power towing mirrors work well. And they do fold, but manually. (Good thing, don't ask)
Did NOT come with Electric brake harness, but earlier model works if you swap two wires in the plug.
Headlites/foglites much improved.
New seats are REALLY comfortable.
Fuel econ- 15.6 avg, 19.4 hwy@70-80mph, <4 racin'.
Accelerates same as 2002.
OnStar CAN unlock it.
Yeah, the front end is ugly, but I don't have to look at it. Plus, I made em give me a bigger discount to make up for it.

Any other questions, just ask.

Blackwheel
12-12-2002, 00:17
Hey guy, I got a question for ya. Did you have any trouble getting a fuse for the box under the hood to get the electric trailer brakes to work. Do you even need on?

svpdiesel
12-12-2002, 08:50
No, I didn't need one. I kept the brake controller from my 2000 2500, along with the pigtail that came with the 2000 (plugs right into the box under the dash, by the parking brake pedal) and when I plugged it in, nothing worked. Took it to the trailer dealer, and he swapped position on 2 wires in the plug, then it worked fine. For some fool reason, GM changed the wiring on the 2003. You can order a 2003 trailer brake pigtail from the stealer, I just figured I'd spent too much already and kept my old one.
Hope that helps.
Steve

imported_
12-12-2002, 10:35
The 40 amp fuse in the stud 1 position under the hood (upper left) closes the circuit for tow vehicle recharging and operation of the trailer battery and acessories.

stutzismydog
12-12-2002, 11:36
I also have a new 03 D/A constructed on 08/02 and it also,"Has the BLACK switch on the trans., not the TAN". I was wondering if the issues caused by the "OLD" black switch has been cleared up/revised, on this most recent production run, and they JUST did not change the color....or do I need to get the TAN colored switch ??

This is a great truck......But I will add a billet grill to the front end to....HELP with the fugley look.

svpdiesel
12-12-2002, 11:55
Stutz- I think we need the replacement. Dammit.
HB- how does the 45 gal tank work? Did you put it in yourself?
S

polaris800
12-12-2002, 13:50
I also have a new 2003 and had a little problem when installing the break box. I was not able to locate any thing in the manuals. Was able to find and make it all work. I recent installed a remote starter and yes all the wires were changed making this a more challenging job then cessary. The truck is in the shop as I write to attempt to find out why it wonte heat up very well, smokes a lot and make a lot of engine noise inside. I thought that this truck would be an improvement over the 01/02 but Im finding out different. My o1 was quite didnt really smoke that much and always heated up even without the covers in zero degree days. O well might just be my LAST $44,000 dollars Gm will see. :mad:

svpdiesel
12-12-2002, 14:15
Polaris, how new is 03? Has the service dept. had it for long? Don't give up yet- there is definitely something wrong that should be fixable.

S

polaris800
12-12-2002, 15:45
It two months old and has 3000 miles on it. I just contacted the dealer and he told that they replaced both thermastats and did some other work. So we will see how it goes. Hopefully they fixed a few things that dont make this a bad experience for me because i will have to take legal matters into my hands. Just what I love to do... :eek:

imported_
12-13-2002, 00:28
The TF folks installed it at their plant in Chino. It was a real good experience. It's pretty heavy duty 12 and 14 gauge steel. I've had it for about 3,500 miles with no problems.

Went four wheeling last week up in the mountains, about as rocky and rough as I imagine I'll ever be using the truck with no problems bottoming the tank out.

For those familiar with the S. Cal area, the gate is open at the end of Siverado Canyon to take the dirt road beyond up to Santiago Peak (highest peak in the Saddleback Mountains in Orange County). From there we took the dirt roads down the back way all the way to Ortetga Hwy @ N. Main Drive.

Lot's of rocks and washouts, it put the truck through it's paces real good.

svpdiesel
12-13-2002, 14:40
Stutz- thanks for the info- after I upgrade my switch, maybe I'll take a ride down to Chino.

Polaris, sorry to hear you having so much trouble. I guess I'm just lucky, so far, that I don't have any problems with my truck. Knock on wood. Because I like it a LOT more than my 2000
S

svpdiesel
12-13-2002, 14:43
HA! Sorry, HB, I got you mixed up with Stutz. But thanks- I am very interested in the 45 gal tanl. 26 just isn't enough.
S