PDA

View Full Version : missing 1/2 gallon of oil

Dmaxducker
07-05-2003, 17:26
We had an uneventful trip to the midwest and back, but half way through our trip, I decided to change the oil and filter. I drained the oil, and added 10 quarts Rotella. When I poured the old oil from the pan back into the empty oil containers I could only fill the two gallon containers. I should have had an extra 1/2 gallon of used oil left. I don't remember much empty space in the gallon containers so I got worried that maybe the truck was using oil. The thing is I checked the oil frequently during the trip and it was fine. The truck was on a slight downward incline when I changed the oil so I thought maybe it didnt drain completely which means that now I have 1/2 gallon overfill of oil. So I moved to a flatter spot, partially drained the oil. Then topped off the oil checking the dipstick to make sure it was right. I'll keep checking to see if I'm using oil but would a slight incline affect the oil drainage that much? Or is St. Louis the "Mystery Spot" of the midwest.

mackin
07-05-2003, 17:40
It would be normal if a new motor early on used a bit of oil .... Mine blew thru a quart when I switched to synthetic, been purrfect sense ...... Don't forget the near a quart saturated oil filter would hold to add to drain oil accumulated when changing....
You never will get a complete drain, worse off if your tipped forward ....
I wouldn't sweat it, check as normal ... Lose of oil would have shown during your trip undoubtedly,if there was an issue to be concerned with ....

Mac
:D :D :D