PDA

View Full Version : George M, Maverick, Allimax & Tech, Hoot?

Gbenzx01
07-05-2003, 20:31
I'm Confused,
When the head gasket goes the gases from a firing cyl causes over pressure & sends the coolant overboard = proof by losing coolant & carbon particles in coolant & overpressure in hoses.
How can this show up in an oil sample?

When the injector sleeve oring or sealant gives are we to look for the same ingredients as above or will it show only via oil sample?
Is there a lab that can test coolant for early on detection that could save some hide down the road?
No not upset abt it, there have been some good posts here abt the Texacoola stuff.
When we bought our Dmax(used 16k) it was losing/using coolant we thought but turned out they hadn't bled the thing correctly.
Every time I see another Dmax try to find out how it's doing & lo fri am at flyin j I asked the man abt his 3500 with big 5er, said he liked it fine after they fixed the head gasket & that he discovered the problem from the coolant smell thru the ac ducts. It is a 2001 with Ill plates. I did not think to ask abt mileage.
Exhaust smell? Also if the crack appeared before the etching wouldn't that tell us bad gasket or torque problem? Does the etching(corrosive) show up on other parts of the gasket?

Thanx, Gben

[ 07-05-2003, 08:57 PM: Message edited by: Gbenzx01 ]

Maverick
07-05-2003, 21:01
How can this show up in an oil sample?
I personally don't know how its possiable. I had oil tests done on my 3500 before the gasket went. Tests showed nothing, only high copper I believe. Now if the gasket is made out of copper, we may be on to something.
When the injector sleeve oring or sealant gives are we to look for the same ingredients as above or will it show only via oil sample?
From reading others with sleeve problems, it would show up in the oil (coolant). A leaking injector tube (like JERMCK truck) will cause the head gasket symtoms.
Also if the crack appeared before the etching wouldn't that tell us bad gasket or torque problem?
After you pull the head, how would you know what happened first if etching and cracked gasket are present?

Sure seems like alot of 01's have a gasket issue. If its a bad gasket or torque problem, I don't think anybody knows. My 01' GMC is fine so far and runs great (KOW) at 61,000 miles.

[ 07-05-2003, 09:07 PM: Message edited by: Maverick ]

Gbenzx01
07-05-2003, 22:40
Thanx Maverick,

I was reading Alli-max thread Where dmaxalliTech said near end of his post, but usually starts as just a crack. Then too I may have misunderstood, just making a point maybe.
But anyway if a chemical etches metal & weakens it causing it to fail it usually leaves its marks on either side of the opening that is created. They usually try to match these marks.
If none of the marks match it could be assumed that the metal itself or something therein was the culprit.
The clues here however may have been burned away unless it can be put under a glass or xray.
No not a metal xpert but have been very close to some aviation investigations.
Also if the chemical is doing the damage it should appear in other places in contact with it.
fwiw, once the exhaust gases meet the chemical it cooks it into something very different.

Thanx, Gben

DmaxMaverick
07-08-2003, 12:26
If you have combustion gases in the coolant, you will likely show coolant traces in the oil.

With the engine running, the oil pressure, air charge and combustion pressure will overcome the coolant pressure. With engine off, after a few seconds, the only pressure retained is the coolant. Leaks are usually a two-way issue. When the engine is off, the path that the combustion gases used to enter the coolant will be used for the coolant to enter the combustion chamber and/or oil. Anything that is introduced into the combustion chamber will ultimately show a trace in the oil. If this were not true, there would be no need for a crankcase vent, and oil change intervals would be somewhere in the neighborhood of 50K.

The mixture of coolant is essentially water and ethylene glycol. At combustion temps, the water is super heated and exits the exhaust/crankcase vent as steam. The ethylene glycol is reduced to oily sludge and particulate matter (some of which is sub-micron), which will deposit in the exhaust, combustion chamber, and crankcase.

Alli-max
07-08-2003, 21:03
If you have combustion gases in the coolant, you will likely show coolant traces in the oil.
Not necessarily though. I had an oil check done (U.S. Oil Check) back in maybe Feb or March, right in the middle of my 1 gallon a day of coolant. All impurity levels were well within range, and no signs of dexcool.

Gbenzx01
07-13-2003, 19:43
Thnx guys,
I hear ya Mav abt copper gasket & this has appeared before as with your test results.
The 900+ though that jbplock got back must be the worlds record, surely a typo. Ours showed a little high too at 25k mi but nothing to worry abt they said.
We usually sample every time but then when you go 10 - 12k mi to change a lot can happen. So we best sample on this truck at half time when filter is changed at 6K.
Is there anyone that does the coolant testing?
Meanwhile we'll include the symptoms in our checks such as colors, floaters & hose pressures & while the dog is checking the tires maybe he can learn to sniff the tail pipe as well!

Thanx, Gben