PDA

View Full Version : Duramax getting a bath of diesel and oil underneath and on trailer any thoughts?

Green
12-11-2002, 17:21
The truck is an 01 w/ 55,000 miles, the problem started about two weeks ago when I was hauling trees from a nursery home, it didn't act up pulling the trailer empty(20' bumper pull) but coming home usually a 2hr drive it would shut down and automatically downshift to 2nd and only run 25mph (limp mode?) call dealer said to try turning key off and start, it worked fine for about 3miles, yes SES light was on, then again same, limped it home about 2.5hrs later, next no light no problem no leak? Drove to state playoff highschool game 4hr drive no problem put about 1000 miles on it and no problem. Then today going out of town on a bobcat job and 20 miles down the road and it does the same thing call dealer said limp it back, no leaking at time, had turn turn it on and off a few times, one time it was going it blew white/blue smoke out but cleared right up, get to shop unload bobcat and there is diesel and a slight mix of oil all underneath,the trailer is covered it is dripping off on the drive not good, got to the dealership checked it out and it appears it is all coming from the blow by tube and there is diesel in the oil. Also during our little snow storm last week I was work removing snow and the truck acted up different the shift indicator switch on the trans went out and it would not shift out of 1st, another part was just today I was talking to two other guys here that have a Duramax and 8.1 and both of theirs went out just this week also. sorry if I rambled on to much.

TLA
12-11-2002, 17:57
Check your oil - could be diesel getting into sump. If so, would be over full, and smell of diesel. I believe that if you put the stick down on a paper towel, the diesel will make a ring around the oil spot.

[ 12-11-2002: Message edited by: TLA ]</p>

Green
12-11-2002, 18:43
The tech had said their is diesel in the oil and the oil level was alittle low, of cousre it is all over the underside of the truck and dripping on the floor, what is not there is all over trailer and bobcat. It was just up for an oil change I had gone over a bit at 4500miles and now this happened.

mackin
12-11-2002, 19:28
First thing that came to mind,SELL!!!!
Just kidding....

Sorry to hear your having such grief,gotta find some humor to perhaps help ya out ....
Sounds to me like you have some leaking injectors.....Dealer should be able to diagnose this for you, once you decide to bring it in,warranty should cover.....Sooner the better as diesel fuel in oil is not good......

You may just also be experiencing a failing NSBU switch if it hasn't been change.....You may have to pay for this....

Since things come in threes go out and give your self a flat and get it over with..... ;)

Good luck to you, hope it gets fixed right the first time.....

MAC :D

Green
12-11-2002, 19:39
Mackin, I have been quite but read most all the post every day and like yours the best. It is sleeping in the Chevy house tonight, service manager said that he has noticed a lot of orders for new injector o-rings and said he did order a set at that time and has them on-hand, tech showed me all of the test he has to run,dye in oil check for leak he said it will take some time.By the way I have been around the dealership for about 8years and they don't give me a line of bull because they know better.I keep you guys posted.