PDA

View Full Version : 2001 K3500

markrinker
08-29-2005, 16:36
Found a clean 2001 K3500 reg cab flatbed plow truck with only 35K miles. Owner stated that:

"I did have some work done on the fuel system because we somehow got some bad fuel and it was clogging the filters when cold. I had the dealer do the work; they replaced the fuel rail pressure sensor, injection pump and fuel filter. Assume the injectors are original. It runs like new now."

Any other items I should be aware of on a 2001 model year truck?

More Power
08-30-2005, 07:06
Sounds like this is a private sale. If you know a dealer you can work with, ask for a warranty service history using the GM Vehicle Inquiry System. This'll provide a printout on all warranty service work performed to date on this VIN.

Depending on when this truck first went into service, the 5 year engine warranty could be nearly at an end. The injector warranty has a couple of years yet. I'd want to know when it went into service.

Jim

markrinker
08-30-2005, 18:53
Got the report today. 2/28/01 is the service date, so I would have engine coverage through 2/28/06, right?

Items on the report and mileage of each:

3823 Transmission filter replaced (?)
11,985 Shift control lever and cable replaced; PCM/VCM module replaced; Change pin location (?)
28,054 Park/Nuetral switch replaced
30,381 Primary accessory belt tensior replaced

Nothing too spectacular, and nothing that corresponds to the repairs he mentioned earlier in this thread. The dealer must have denied warranty coverage for the bad fuel repairs.

This guy has used his GM Roadside assistance (towing) 4 times, but none of the mileages of those events correspond to any mileages of warranty work performed??? One entry reads: "Roadside - Gone on Arrival".

I wonder if he has a habit of running out of and/or getting poor quality fuel? According to the info in my owners book, they GIVE you $5.00 worth of fuel if you run out and call GMs Roadside folks... (Too bad that is only 1.75 gallons these days...)

Can't think of any other scenarios where someone would call for roadside assistance 4 times in 35,000 miles but never have any warranty work performed as a result of the call/tow?

Ideas or input?

Steve Rapp
08-30-2005, 20:39
Some people let thier tanks go almost to zero and see nothing wrong with it. I do! It cavitates your pump plus makes it work harder.