PDA

View Full Version : Resetting check engine light

FstTrack
12-11-2002, 23:03
Does anyone know if there is a way to erase codes on a 03 without a scanner. unhook battery,put cables together anything like that. put my juice box on a freinds 03 and must not have got it plugged in good. No start. unhooked connect factory plugs fired right up, hooked juice box back up and set it fired right up but cant get rid of the engine light since the no fire.

mackin
12-12-2002, 05:44
FstTrack

Go to a local Autozone,never tried it but was told they can scan and find out trouble code and perhaps clear...Or have him ,wait after a few start cycles it will clear,more then likely .....

Which version Edge box?

MAC

hoot
12-12-2002, 07:11
I've gotten the SES light many times. It always went out after a day or so.

Paintdude
12-12-2002, 07:25
I cleared them on my 96 S-10 the other day by unhooking the battery and removing the ecm fuses and letting it set for abour 15 minutes..Might be worth a try..

The local independent shop usually charges me 25 bucks to use a scan tool on it in the past..

tonyskid
12-12-2002, 09:34
I had this happen to me also, the SES light come on. I was told from my service TECH that it will reset itself after I think 20 or 25 key cycles which means after you start the truck that many times. I also have reset them from taking the battery cables off for a few minutes. It resets and clears the code but keeps it in memory on the ECM till it is cleared from dealer.

Kennedy
12-12-2002, 09:46
I've always understood that the codes will remain regardless of whatever backyard tricks are done, and unless cleared with a Tech 2 or similar tool WILL remain in history...

DieselDennis
12-12-2002, 09:53
I think everybody's right here. Unhooking the battery cables, pulling "the" fuse (whichever one goes to the PCM, should atleast get the light off and not make it come on again.
However, I believe Kennedy is right also. Unless cleared out with a scan tool. The code that was set will remain in the history and will show up the next time you scan your truck.

mackin
12-12-2002, 10:44
Then Some of us might even have a little portfolio,mine will be a redundant over boost condition...

John how much info would be stored with it?As in speed,temps,actual pressure,etc.....If you would.....

MAC

Kennedy
12-12-2002, 11:49
There is Snapshot data as well as History data. Now the rate at which stuff "cycles out" depends on the code. It is based on run cycles (not key cycles) in that the ECT must drop, and rise a certain part of the scale etc.

I set a code/snapshot at 105 mph once :eek: If a dealer were to see this it could cause problems. This also depends on the dealer's knowledge base. I once had a dealer tell me that my '96 set a code with 30 psi boost. Problem is, my '96 even with the upgraded turbo only runs 25psi and back then barely topped 15psi. Tech did not understand that boost is measured as TOTAL (atmosphere plus added pressure) which adds 14psi to the equation depending on elevation.

On a related note:
Big Brother and the Insurance company are trying to use this stuff in accident investigation...

FstTrack
12-12-2002, 20:30
Thanks guys for all the replys I tried all the back yard tricks that used to work on older gas vehicles does not reset light. Have a scanner but only goes to 01 and will not clear codes on 03 guess we will wait a couple of days if it doesnt go out will have stealer reset.

mackin
12-12-2002, 20:41
Thanks John..I was wondering since I only see the code at 90+....Of all things.....GHESHH who needs that distraction....

MAC :D

mark45678
12-14-2002, 13:08
I have also heard that to put a juice box in a 03 that came out of a earler truck there is some wireing update that edge needs to do! this very well could have been the problem! ;)

FstTrack
12-14-2002, 20:38
The light did go out on its own so we gave the box a try agian. worked great must not have made good contact somehow the first time now just have to erase the code one of these days.

txguppy
12-15-2002, 19:42
I had a recurring problem with my Caddy last year. The "Service Transmission" message kept popping up on the Driver Information Panel. The dealers, yes plural, changed or reprogrammed everything they could. They all told me that nothing would "happen" to the trans, only that it would not go into overdrive.

Anyway, they told me how to reset the trouble code by pressing 2 buttons on the A/C and radio. The "computer" would go into a self diagnostic mode and display the current code.
Then I pressed another button and the code was deleted, and all was well, until it threw a code again.

There has to be a way to do this on the D/A, especially on the '03s. I bet GM is keeping this hush hush from all the super-uppers, as well as for increasing their warranty work.

txguppy