PDA

View Full Version : AFE VS K&N and Amsoil Air Filters

Bush Pilot
03-18-2003, 21:33
Thinking about getting an AFE Air Filter. Looking for opinions on the AFE vs. the rest.

king D
03-19-2003, 17:30
afe is an excellent air sytem i had one on my 2001 dodge cummins.when i bought the dmax my supplier said he had both but reccomended i try the k-n system.the k-n took on average of 1.4 sec off my 0 to 60 times.i am sure the afe would at least be as good if not bettr.also i would look at the new kennedy filter .there is a post on it and it is prob worth a look.hope this helps.jess

NWDmax
03-19-2003, 20:25
BushPilot: Intalled the afe filter right after I bought the truck.Dealer had it on the shelf and cost $45.Fit is excellent and has a nice & soft rubber seal to keep out the crud.
I also opened up the airbox so the big dog can breathe.I'm totally satisfied with the fit and finish of the filter and highly recommend it.
Blake smile.gif

Smittybilt
03-19-2003, 22:42
NWDMax;
Is that AFE filter just the element or Stage 1 or 2. Has anybody had any problems with the Stage 2 filters. I'd really like to replace that huge restrictive box that comes in the truck as well as the tubing. Rey

NWDmax
03-19-2003, 23:05
I've got filter only.I believe Mackin and possibly Toddster have the tube and all

Tahoe
03-20-2003, 00:50
I have the complete AFE setup and like it,LOVE
the turbo whine that I now hear.
Doug :D

sdaver
03-20-2003, 14:05
have had mine for several months 4-5k......no problems or codes and I like it :D dave

DMAXED
03-20-2003, 18:17
I all so have the AFE stage 2 filter on my truck with a outerwear prefilter it's been on since last october no trouble so far .

Smittybilt
03-20-2003, 20:02
Would you guys recommend the outerwear prefilter or think that the filter itself is enough. What exactly is that prefilter supposed to do. Does it add any restriction to the system? Rey :confused:

mackin
03-20-2003, 21:14
I just know you guys want my opinion..... :rolleyes:

The AFE.....

You will see No performance gain except a tad more BOOST .....

You will get a lot more turbo noise with the stage II...This is what I have installed on my truck.....

Two things..The install sucks...As the tube is to long off the turbo boot to the air box.... You cannot remove the air filter without loosening up the entire apparatus...

All they, or you would have to do is trim a little off the tube at the turbo end.....Half inch or so.....

Also I wouldn't run one with out a nylon 5 micron outer wrap....These filters are transparent....I lost nothing running it with the wrap, sound is the same.....This setup looks good.....Also sheds water, this is a plus.....May have to remove for dealer service,sucks.....I will run an oil analysis's to confirm good filtering....When I popped my hood the other day and felt bottom of air box, there was a whole lot of sand granules just laying there.....Same as I seen with the oil residue in the bottom of stock box, speckled with excessive Amsoil filter oil.....

Boring but effective.....
Modified box with
Amsoil stage II installed...It is a good replacement filter for not to worry filterization,for stock air box.....After 15000 miles my snorkel was spotless.....

Chose is yours.....

If you want to hang out with the "COOL" kids AFE..... tongue.gif

Old fogies are running the tried and true Amsoil oily couch cushion..... redface.gif

I will run both based on the season.....Mine was parked most of winter do to fuel prices,so I left it on .....

MAC :D :D :D

Oongawah
03-20-2003, 21:28
Had mine on for about 6 months now. Love it. First thing I noticed was full throttle control. My throttle seemed to be non-effective past 3/4 throttle before. It was the only mod when I first installed it. Mackin' is my Mentor(hehe).

DMAXED
03-20-2003, 21:37
I have not had much trouble getting filter off the tube it is a snug fit. mackin did you cut the tube on the turbo side if so did the rubber mount still fit to the airbox wall ?

Smittybilt
03-20-2003, 22:36
How does the AFE compare with the K&N? Anybody with the K&N setup out there. I really want to change this air filter but keep going back and forth between AFE and K&N. Had a K&N on my last truck (D**** gasser) and liked it but my wife always told me she didn't like the intake whoosh when you stepped on it. Is the turbo whine increased noticeably? Rey

mackin
03-21-2003, 05:05
Dmaxed

I didn't cut mine as I haven't removed it yet.....One would have to cut the tube at the turbo end ..... I will next time I remove the intake system....

I could force the air filter off,force the removal from the box (the hardest part) suspecting that is what you are doing, But it causes creases in the cleats of the filter, as your squeezing it to remove, in just the right spot.....It just could be better, if you ask me, simply by shortening the tube....

The rubber boot on my air cleaner doesn't reach the hole in the box where the tube comes thru....Yours does?? With I believe a half inch trimmed off it would be near perfect .....Whatever trimming that would allow the cone filter to get closer to the box opening would be sufficient....I will modify mine....

Smittybilt

KN. like AFE has two products ..... The complete replacement snorkel and all, and just the cone filter.....

Your gains will be the same.....

Problem I have seen is with the KN. complete system (snorkel plastic tube and all) is the relocation of the mass air sensors....

I think it was put to far down stream and SES'S are set because of this.....

I haven't had a problem with the AFE setup.....Right to fuel cut off I might add.....

The turbo sound, sweet music if you ask me, is different then the gasser whoosh.....Gasser air boxes double up as a silencer..I had a KN on a vortec six banger and I'm familiar with what your wife was hearing.....Nothing like that noise is generated on a Turbo engine.....You'll just hear a increased whistle intermittenly depending on boost you are producing....

[ 03-21-2003: Message edited by: mackin ]</p>

king D
03-21-2003, 05:51
i just noticed i mis spoke my self above,the k-n sysrem gave .14 sec improvement 0-60 pre gtech.i wish it did give 1.4 any way as far as whine and woosh the kn on my dmax doesent whine like the afe on my dodge did but then that is like comparing apples to oranges.sorry for the misprint jess

DMAXED
03-21-2003, 09:34
Mackin

The rubber boot from the filter does not hit the airbox wall I was talking about the 7/16 rubber stud that goes between the tube and the airbox wall it looks 1"1/2 long if you cut the turbo side the stud might not fit to the box I may be wrong I would have to look at the system again .

Kennedy
03-21-2003, 10:47
SteveO has been twisting my arm to look into these. :eek: I have seen slapshot's K&N setup, and definitely did not care for the gap between the pipe and the tray where it passes through. If a guy wants to attempt to get cold air and possibly a little assistance from ram air, the "housing" needs to be as well sealed as possible. To me, the AFE looks to be the better product...

LanduytG
03-21-2003, 11:46
From what I have seen theAFE is far superior to the K&N. It has a lot more thickness to the guaze than the K&N. I might try to get a hold of one for my test stand and see what it does.

Greg

mackin
03-21-2003, 17:56
DMAXED

Yes you are right a modification may have to be done there with the vibration mount also, but fairly easy IMO..... ;)

My point is they could off fine tuned engineered this product just a little more for the ease of use for the consumer.....

Any of you guys need a wrap call =&gt;http://www.mrbobsdistributing.com/afe.htm

That's where I got mine.....Not sure if The Diesel Page vendor I purchased the AFE from has them.....You may want to check them out also....

Mr Bob's sells them for $35 bucks each......

Kennedy
03-21-2003, 18:48
Greg,

I have a flat panel AFE for the 6.5 if it would work. Otherwise, I should have an assortment of the conical ones for the big 3 diesels in some time next week.

03-21-2003, 21:12
Bush Pilot...I have had the aFe stage II intake system on my 03 D/A for about 14k miles. I am very happy with it. I have had K&N's on other vehicles and was happy with them too..In my opinion the aFe is a better filter...Makin...I had the same problem with the aFe filter removal. I found that by completely removing the band clamp from the element allowed removal without damage. The seal will distort slightly..but this didn't seem to be a problem. After the band clamp is removed lift and rotate the filter in an upward motion. The first time that I removed the filter I smashed my finger and put a crease in the element...I threw a tantrum that a four year old would have been proud of...now with the band removal..no tanrums...Good luck!

kerry witherspoon
03-21-2003, 21:25
well guys i have been thinking about the old dual ram air systems on some cars and trying to think of a way to do the duramax ,with amsoil filtre and force feed it for more cold air. any sugestions.