PDA

View Full Version : Fuel Filter & Dealer

Brucec
03-19-2003, 06:42
Well just got the dmax inspected, I ask my dealer if installing a second filter will void my warranty he said NO you are just adding protection. I said do you think this is necessary he said well let me say this if I had a duramax I would install one in my truck.

So I guess I will go for it now which one Rector or Kennedy?

pinehill
03-19-2003, 09:59
The Rector will save your soul. The Kennedy will save your Dmax. :D

DmaxCC6spd
03-19-2003, 10:35
Could it be? A dealership with common sense. Could this be the start of a new trend. We can only hope.

NWDmax
03-19-2003, 10:38
Good one piney!!!
I'm lol on that one! :D

NWDmax
03-19-2003, 10:42
Good one piney!!!
I'm lol on that one! :D :eek:

Lone Eagle
03-19-2003, 11:06
My service manager told me the same thing. Later! Lone Eagle :D

56Nomad
03-19-2003, 11:28
Well folks..... I just called my two local Chevy dealers
and spoke with the top bananas at the service
department.

Both said there would absolutely be NO PROBLEM by
adding a Racor/Parker as a secondary filter
to my truck. There is no conflict with the factory
warrenty as they see it.

I probably should have called them BEFORE I put this
system in, but I liked their reply......

I don't know if they would have given me the same
reply if I told them I was going with another brand
of filter.

I'll let some other brave soul call their dealer on that
one.

chuntag95
03-19-2003, 12:43
Talked to the tech at my dealership yesterday. He said no problems adding one, but the OEM should be fine on it's own. :rolleyes: Now, I took the truck in for rough idle, surging and clatter. When I called this morning, they told me the regulator was fine and they were looking at the injectors now. Hmmmm, maybe need to go to Johns site if they replace them.

Fathead
03-19-2003, 13:31
My dealer also said he had no problem with me adding a second filter. In fact he was very interested in learning about our filtration problems.
FH. smile.gif

imported_
03-19-2003, 14:37
Called my dealer about the second filter & warranty issues. They said that there shouldn't be a warranty issue but to call Chevrolet & see what they say about it. Also the service writer said that Chevrolet is aware of some injector problems & are currently working on some new injectors for the Duramax. Writer said to change filter every 15,000 miles like manual says too.

Called Chevrolet about the second filter install & the person said that if the dealer diagnosed the problem to be with the second filter that they wouldnt cover it. So i guess its up to each individual to decide about a second filter.

56Nomad
03-19-2003, 14:56
So now.... the question would be....

What can problems can the installation of
a second filter after the OEM cause?

One comes to mind. If you install it in a
and don't do a clean job, you might get
debris going right to the injectors.

Any other possible problems it might
cause?

a bear
03-19-2003, 15:20
There you have it. My point from the get go. How can more protection cause problems. Keep a good dealer relationship and the rest should fall into place. Remember, they want your future buisness.

For those who have idiots for dealers I would think it would be time for me to take my buisness elseware. If one of us was threatened with a voided warranty I bet 9000+ signatures of loyal GM owners wound get some attention. :eek:

roegs
03-19-2003, 18:33
Well, I've been whining that pre-oem would be the way to go due to warrenty issues, but I may have to change my tune. I picked up my new '03 today and asked the service manager about the filter issues. He said no problem doing the post oem install. The only issue he could see is if something from my filter (post oem) caused a problem in the fuel system. This kind of gets back to 56nomad's question. Could I introduce debris into the system while doing my post-oem install?

a bear
03-19-2003, 18:42
I wouldn't use a thread on element POST unless it is designed like JK's MEGA filter setup. A standard thread on could introduce particles from threads or through threads. smile.gif

56Nomad
03-19-2003, 18:58
a bear,

Racor's R60S filter which I am using on the
Racor filter head has a gasket to prevent
this problem.

roegs,

Since your truck is a virgin..... you shouldn't
have to worry about engine junk getting into
your system. Just try to stay with a clean
working environment.

You must be pretty excited to get your new truck :D

Lone Eagle
03-19-2003, 21:06
It is clear to me that some of you guys have worked on close tolerance hydraulic systems. For those that haven't, be real sure that every part of the secondary filter system is super clean. I think George already stressed this. Later! Lone Eagle :D