PDA

View Full Version : service engine soon light and limp mode

Aluminator
07-06-2003, 22:05
Last week driving from San Diego to Las Vegas at 70 mph the engine shut down like the key was turned off and then the service engine light came on. 1900 max rpm till I stopped and shut it off and restarted the light went off and it ran like the wind for another 2 miles and the whole thing started all over again. Took it to the firswt GMC dealer I could find and they said they didn't work on them and to take it to the Chevy dealer. They said to leave it for three days and they would try to look at it. Off to another dealer and this time it only took two days to tell me nothing showed up and please pay $80. They said that if they couldn't find anything wrong I would have to pay not GM. It got me to the first hill heading back and it stayed in "limp" for the rest of the 300 miles home. Sure was glad I wasn't towing. It is now at the dealer in San Diego and I am holding my breath that they can find something.

ANY IDEAS????????

Dennis
01 GMC

GMC-2002-Dmax
07-06-2003, 23:31
Aluminator

Are you stock, juiced, predator. :confused:

When was the last fuel filter change.????

Maybe the NSBU Switch. Did the gear indicator in the dash blink or go out???

Need some more info.

GMC smile.gif

Silver Bullet
07-07-2003, 13:58
If you have a SES most auto parts stores will read the codes for free!

Kennedy
07-07-2003, 19:08
I would look for programming updates, ESPECIALLY if you still have the air box snorkels to the inner fender.

I've also seen where the box was replaced, but the programming NOT updated...

Aluminator
07-08-2003, 20:12
The engine is still stock! Funny you should ask about the indicator flashing. It didn't do it this time but the last time I had problems it was blinking.After talking to the tech in LV he said that GM told him to pull the engine apart to look for a fuel leak. Seems he did find a code that said something about a "mass fuel leak" but he didn'want to pull it apart to look.

Got a call from the dealer in San Diego today to say that they have to pull the enging apart to look at the fuel system. He said he has four D-Max's there for the same thing! Well here I sit in Las Vegas waiting for the thing to get fixed. Should pick up a rental tomorrow.

Fuel filter changed 300 miles ago.
First major problem with the truck.
It has all the lastest updates on the computer.
Has the newest air filter box.

Think it is time to order a 04!!!!!!!!!

Dennis

dmaxalliTech
07-08-2003, 21:27
I am confused, limp mode or defuel? :confused: PRNDL is flashing? Thats sign of trans problems. I might be off the path here but if prndl is flashing, why chasing engine problems? :confused: GM has to "tell" the tech it has fuel leak, :rolleyes: Move on. Engine low on power? Large fuel leak code would do it.... Keep us posted

dmaxalliTech
07-08-2003, 21:28
I am confused, limp mode or defuel? :confused: PRNDL is flashing? Thats sign of trans problems. I might be off the path here but if prndl is flashing, why chasing engine problems? :confused: GM has to "tell" the tech it has fuel leak, :rolleyes: Move on. Engine low on power? Large fuel leak code would do it.... Keep us posted

dmaxalliTech
07-08-2003, 21:28

Murf
07-08-2003, 21:45
So, let me admit right off - I'm not cool - I do not have a clue what the acronyms are that you guys are using - is there a golssary available on the web site? If not - I need some help - what do the following mean; NSBU switch, SES, PRNDL, Limp Mode - thanks for helping out someone without a clue!

Aluminator
07-11-2003, 20:32
dmaxalliTech,

Somebody had asked if the shift indicator was flashing but that wasn't the cause of the problems this time.

The dealer in San Diego has had the truck for a week and hasn't even started the repairs yet. Seems they have had 8-10 trucks with the same problems and the tech is trying to finish up another one first. They tell me that it is a injector problem and have to pull lots of parts off the engine to do the repairs. My guess is more water problems!!!

Dennis

mackin
07-11-2003, 20:42
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Murf:
So, let me admit right off - I'm not cool - I do not have a clue what the acronyms are that you guys are using - is there a golssary available on the web site? If not - I need some help - what do the following mean; NSBU switch, SES, PRNDL, Limp Mode - thanks for helping out someone without a clue! [/QUOTE

Nsbu ....Neutral safety back up, switch .....

SES ...Service engine soon .....

PRNDL ....Shift indicator Park Reverse Drive ,so on ....

Limp Mode is when the Allison goes into default , Normally stays in 2nd or 3rd .... Sometimes if you shut it down,wait,restart it will reset ...Depends on problem ...... Most times MIL will stay illuminated .....

MIL is code for Message Indicator Lamp .....

Mac

;)

Billy T
07-11-2003, 21:32
Hey Mackin..

I think MIL is Malfunction Indicator Lamp

You did get your point accross though. Whay am I so anal?

Enjoy
Billy T
:D :D

dmaxalliTech
07-11-2003, 21:50
Originally posted by Murf:
So, let me admit right off - I'm not cool - I do not have a clue what the acronyms are that you guys are using - is there a golssary available on the web site? If not - I need some help - what do the following mean; NSBU switch, SES, PRNDL, Limp Mode - thanks for helping out someone without a clue! Murf, We just make them up as we go along, They dont mean a thing, helps make us sound 'techy'

Mackin is BS'n dont believe his version of these acronyms :D ;)

mackin
07-11-2003, 22:03
Message, Malfuction whatever ....... Trouble is the word ..... I was taking the non panic route ..... ;)

Mac :D :D :D

sdaver
07-11-2003, 23:03
hey mac your member numbers dont jive....your not leading a double life are ya? :D

mackin
07-12-2003, 07:17
Originally posted by sdaver:
hey mac your member numbers dont jive....your not leading a double life are ya? :D AH nuttin slips by you ...... ;)

Actually one number the lower one is my Joining number as I was Number 4402 to join the Page .....You'll have to ask MP for it .... Sorry Jim I can see the emails know .....

Da udder number is the Forum member number ,the one you would perhaps search for a post or something to the likin.....

Why two ? Dunno ask MP ..... He mave have told da udder guy and I furgot ....

Do I live a double life ??? Oh yea you don't want'ta know .....

Mac :D :D :D :D

Murf
07-15-2003, 21:40
Thanks guys, I'm feelin cooler now that I got a clue on all those acheronyms!! Guess I could have thought about it a little harder but hell, I'm drivin a diesel truck now!! :cool: