PDA

View Full Version : Would this hurt anything? (exhaust question)

duramax170
03-19-2003, 10:17
I have had the truck straitpiped for a while now and decided it is time for a change of pace. I was thinking about getting rid of the back third of the system and putting a turn down tip just before where the muffler should be, but i'm not sure if it would have any adverse affects on anything
Thanks
Sam

a64pilot
03-19-2003, 10:20
Probably smoke up the back of the truck and you may get fumes,carbon monoxide, in the cab.

IndigoDually
03-19-2003, 10:26
I am planning on straight piping my d-max too. I am also going to remove the tail pipe over the axle.
I did this on my '97 and the only adverse thing is the fact that the rumble is definitely louder in the cab due to the noise resonating and getting trapped under the bed. I put a chrome tip on mine that stuck out past the bed almost to the outside tire on my dually to help with the noise.

John

Jelisfc
03-19-2003, 12:37
Somewhat unrelated but my 350 gasser had straight pipes. A clamp broke and I had to run with the tail pipes off. Sound quality was bad at best and in the cab was like sitting in a garbage can. Tons of resonance. At the least I'd pipe it to the side of the truck.

I belive in the motto "Loud pipes save lives." It takes a lot for me to say it's too loud.

56Nomad
03-19-2003, 12:47
While we're here......... has anyone straight piped their
truck that have the catalytic converters (EGR etc) on them?
Any problems with that with the exception of the
State Air Quaility Resource Board ;)

PBR
03-19-2003, 18:41
i had a cat on mine and i straight piped it, knock on wood no problems yet and it sounds like a hole lot of ruckus!!!