PDA

View Full Version : Stock gauges not working

duning chevy
12-24-2004, 13:12
Hey guys,
Long time reader first time poster and I really apreciate all the info. First off I have juice and exhaust on my truck but i dont think that will make a differnce. I just got a new stereo installed by a GREAT installer in my area. He works on high dollar (100K+) every day so I dont think it is his prob. Anyways, I picked up the truck and drove it around for two days w/ no probs, but on the third day my gauges (tach, speedo, trans temp, engine temp, oil press, and feul) didn't work. Drove to work where me and a my friend proceeded to see if we could find a fuse for the gauges, which we couldn't. However we randomly checked a few which all looked fine and when I got back in the truck the gauges worked fine. They worked fine the rest of the day and night and I though it must be fixed? Today I got back into my truck and the gauges weren't working again. I took off the dash and gauge cluster and the connections looked fine. So my question is, does anyone know what fuse is for the gauges or relay or something. And if not what do you think the problem could be. Thanks again.

Zack Paradise

PS sorry for long post :eek:

More Power
12-24-2004, 13:45
For a 2001.. Not counting the various lighting circuits, all of the following provide power to the instrument panel cluster.

10A Cruise fuse
10A IGN0 fuse
10A IGN1 fuse
15A Radio fuse

MP

duning chevy
12-24-2004, 13:47
Thanks MP its a 2003 sorry i forgot to mention that. Also, the really wierd part is that the PRNDL lights work as well as all of the check engine lights turn signals and even the low fuel light, but not the gauges themselves. I really dont understand this but dont want to take it to the stealer. :mad:

duning chevy
12-24-2004, 15:14
DANG, no one has any ideas? :confused: :confused:

mdadgar
12-24-2004, 15:50
My truck had this exact issue and it turned out to be a bad fusebox. Try that.

- Mark

duning chevy
12-24-2004, 16:00
Thanks mark. Was it the box under the hood or the one in the cab. Also, did it have the symptoms where the prndl lights and all others would work and not the gauges, just want to be sure if I have to take it to the stealer.

Thanks
Zack

dmaxalliTech
12-24-2004, 19:40
Its possible an ign switch could be dropping out too..

duning chevy
12-24-2004, 21:22
I dont think so dmaxallitech because the other stuff on the gauge cluster works perfectly. all the stuff but the gauges LOL.

White Truck
12-25-2004, 05:57
duning chevy,
Your stealer may have the repair for this in the form of a TSB. Contact them to see if this might apply to your vehicle

duning chevy
12-25-2004, 11:08
Well, I think that the problem is in the fuse block under the hood. It wasn't working again today and I checker for loose connections etc. and then checked every fuse under the hood because it started working after I did that the last time. AND IT STARTED WORKING. So now at least I know where the problem lies. Thanks Mark, did you have to replace the whole fusebox or ?

Thanks again guys

Zack

mdadgar
12-26-2004, 22:27
It was the fusebox under the hood that they had to replace. And correct, I had no gauges but I did have the PRNDL.

Is it possible that your stereo installer tried to tap switched 12v by using one of those spade adapters that slides into the fusebox along with a fuse? I've seen those do some really nasty things to fuseboxes.

- Mark, driving a rental F-150 and really missing his truck

duning chevy
12-27-2004, 13:02
Nah I dont think so. He does a really clean job and I think got switched 12V from the stock wire in the wiring harness. It hasn't done it for the last couple of days so I am going to wait until it does it again. Can anyone explain to me how a bad fuse block could do this? It doesn't make much sense to me and seems like it could be fixed easier than a whole new fuse block.

ebwelder
01-14-2005, 13:11
I have the exact same problem with my 2003 D/A crew cab and have been scratching my head for days. I took it in to the dealer, after two days when they finally looked at it they told me that it was fine and to come and get it. :mad: This is the second time it has happened and when it happens again I will show them this thread and hopefully get some results.

Zack did you have your fuse block replaced?

Jack Sullins