PDA

View Full Version : plugging in

Bill Moncrief
12-24-2004, 17:02
Hello all;
My question is this does it hurt anything to plug truck in and leave it that way until used again insted of using a timer like I have seen suggested here. My reason is that I am a volunteer fireman and cannot predict when I'll need truck and plug it in 4hours before hand. Also I recently had a water in fuel warning message did the drain thing got maybe a half teaspoon of water out but no fuel even after taking plug all the way out. No warning sense that one.
Thanks and MERRY CHRISTMAS TO ALL

dmaxalliTech
12-24-2004, 19:38
I wouldnt leave it plugged in all the time like 24/7. If your truck sits for an unspecified period of time, you could get a timer that has a couple different times on it. Cycle it on and off every couple hours or something like that.

SLT556
12-25-2004, 07:44
I've left mine plugged in for 24 hours at a time. No ill effect yet, but I do wonder if I'm shortening the life of the heater element.

carco
12-26-2004, 06:23
24/7 no problems here. Old 6.5L when it used to set outside, was plugged in when I arrived home until needed to go again, same way w/ 6.2 rollback for towing. Now C6500 rollback goes home w/ me all the time and is plugged in all the time when weather is cool to cold. I never know when I may need to go NOW, still a little hard on a cool engine though. The DMax has not been plugged in yet, started great at 5 degrees!! Had to replace block heaters once each on the 6.2 and 6.5 in 150000 miles each. bob........