PDA

View Full Version : Warning 2003 concerns

polaris800
12-12-2002, 14:01
I thought when I bought a 2003 that it would be better or at least equal to the 01/02. Well as Iwrite it's in the shop because it wonte heat up very well even when you install the front covers. Next the noise yes the ticking noise loud inside the cab. I can compare this because I had the 01 and it was very quite inside. It sounds like the engine is ready to through a rod :mad: No kidding! SMOKE this is what is sad. It smokes like im running a coal burner out the exhaust. For what we pay this is very sad!! After being a beliver I have lost faith in GM to corrent any problems. :mad: :mad:

matt-max
12-12-2002, 14:13
sorry to hear of your problems. have you tried to get this stuff fixed from a dealer yet?

my 03 has an annoying squeak just behind my ear somewhere in the seat or rear door or trim that has gotten worse. other than that no problems at all. heats up quick and i have never put on the winter covers on this one or my 01.

it will go in next week to get the squeak fixed and an oil change ($10 dealer special) while i'm gone. but otherwise no problems at all.

as i noted in a post awhile back, the 03 is tighter, quieter and much smoother than the 01 and the steering feels much better too...like maybe they redisigned the bearings or something.

best of luck to you. that smoke definitely sounds like something is way wrong

matt

Onebigcanuck
12-12-2002, 15:09
I had the same problem, it turned out that both the Thermostates did not have a support rod and therefore are open all the time. They replaced both and now I have lots of heat without the front covers at -20C.

The dealer told me that every one of the 2003's they had sold had the same problem. I guess if you are down in the deep south you would never know of the problem but I would guess that your milage would not be all that good. :rolleyes:

polaris800
12-12-2002, 15:49
Dealer just called and stated that they installed two new thermastats. Maybe they found some other problems out to. Like why it blows out a factory of smoke, sounds like a rod knock. Hopefully, I will have some heat today ;)

Jelisfc
12-12-2002, 16:08
I have the grill cover on and noticed my mileage varies greatly from 17.5 to almost 22. If the temp gauge doesn't stay at 195 I get lower mileage. I thought it was the blended fuel but now you have me wondering. Tuesday I ran from Minneapolis to Des Moines and back, 540 miles and 45 degrees. Averaged 21.5 mpg. I'll have to keep an eye on my temp gauge. Maybe I have one good and one bad thermostat.

4x4man
12-12-2002, 19:07
Wow!! I will keep my eye on the temp gauge.. so far though, it seems to be heating up just fine. Filled up with my first tank of diesel this afternoon and after the math, got 14.98 mpg 75% in town and 25% highway.. not too bad at all for its first tank and not being broke in yet!!

My DMAX also has the tick, developed at 85 miles...what a shame.. Hopefully after 10k miles it will disapear like others. Hate explaining that it is normal for a $47k truck to sound like that... oh well, love the truck!!!

Bob

sw11497
12-12-2002, 19:20
Polaris,
Any chance you went from a GMC to a Chevy? I think the Chevy is louder (slightly) inside.

I have also noticed alot of small items (cost cutting) going on in the '03. Light under the hood, trim, etc. I wonder if they trimmed the insulation in the cab.

RHull2222
12-12-2002, 21:20
Well, off to the Dealer....no heat. Thanks for the information guys....great to have a bit of information from others.

2003 HD2500 CrewCab

ccds
12-12-2002, 21:57
matt-max

if you find that noise behind your ear on the drivers side seat let me know what it was. I have the same annoying noise in mine.

dndstarr@shaw.ca

thanks
smile.gif

[ 12-12-2002: Message edited by: ccds ]

[ 12-17-2002: Message edited by: ccds ]</p>

redneckcowdoctor
12-13-2002, 05:15
Mine's got a squeak in the seat belt retraction/tension mechanism that's behind my left ear when driving. Squeaks whenever I change position. Bothersome at first but I guess I've become accustomed to it. Same with the tick--still there after 77,000 miles but I no longer notice it unless I specifically listen for it.

FirstDiesel
12-13-2002, 05:31
If you have a noise behind your ear with an EC have them lube the door hinges. My S10 did this for 30k and they aligned the door 3 times. Then the tech got the bright idea to lube the hinges. No more noise!

ccds
12-13-2002, 06:25
on my 02 I had the same noise in the retraction mechanism and I took it in and they lub'd the part in the seat and no more noise.

The noise in my 03 is lower down almost sounds like its in the floor at the back of the seat.
Haven't had a chance to take a real close look yet but maybe this weekend.

thanks
smile.gif

[ 12-13-2002: Message edited by: ccds ]</p>

polaris800
12-13-2002, 07:53
Vehical is back form the dealer and still does NOT heat up correctly after installing two thermostats. They did state that tehy were ordering some other item that they felt would be needed to correct the problem for heat. Not sure what they ordered but it still wonte heat up and stay around 195 degrees. What I see now is that when it does get to that temp some thing comes on which I think is the clutch fan then cause the temp gage to drop fast... I also agree that GM got very CHEAP on this 2003 truck. No under the hood light, makes more noise in the cab then my 2001 ever did maybe it's because of installation on the fire wall Im not sure. I will have to look.. All I can say is that for the money I have paid not once but twice now this has truly been a disapointment thus far. I will be taking it back in for service :mad: :mad: :mad:

Husker Fan
12-13-2002, 08:28
I never had problems with my

Jelisfc
12-13-2002, 08:55
I watched my temp gauge last night. The three tick marks are at 160, ???, and 210. The gauge fluctuated between the unmarked tick and just under 210 (195). Looks like I may have an erratic thermostat. Going to Montana Sunday, will have to keep an eye on it. Mine must not be too bad. I get good mileage.

I was concerned last night about the temp thing until some tard rearended me at a stoplight!!! A light tap and luckily I always run my ball in the receiver. Hit it dead on. Dumped the clutch in second. Spun the tires until I got to 5th!!! The road must have been damp or these Fstones do have any traction. The semi next to me got quite a show.

NoMo
12-13-2002, 10:05
The three 'tick' marks should be 160, 185 and 210 if the guage is linear.

My truck usually runs just over 185. If I really get on it, the temp will climb to 210 but falls back to the 185-ish mark rather quickly. I figured this would be normal considering it's not very warm out this time of year. If this is not normal, could you let this newbie know what temp it should maintain?

Searay90
12-13-2002, 10:24
You guys that are getting the temp fluctuation between the 210 and 180 mark need to install your front grill covers. Mine was doing the same thing and it is caused by the #2 thermostat opening and closing, opening & closing, over and over.

Our truck have very large and efficient radiators to handle the heat output of the motor when towing large loads in the heat of summer. They are total overkill when running unloaded in the winter. They cool the coolant so quickly in the winter that is causes the #2 thermostat to cycle open and closed in reaction to very cool water coming back into the engine from the radiator.

I live in Dallas Texas and temps have been in the 50's here. I put on the Grill cover, but not the lower bumper cover. My truck now warms up in about 5-7 miles vs taking over 20 miles to completely warm up. It has also done away with the temp guage fluctuation because instead of the #2 thermostat fully opening or closing, it continues to stay partially open and meters the volume of water going thru it instead of closing it off completely.

Long and short of it is that even here where it's not near as cold as you guys up north, you need to at least run the grill cover. The manual says to run both of them if the temp gets below 32F.

Put them on and see if your problems don't go away.

Sorry for the long post

Jelisfc
12-13-2002, 11:35
Searay90, You have described exactly the way my truck runs except I do have the grill cover on BUT I do live in Minnesota. It sounds like I don't have a problem. Thanx.

polaris800
12-13-2002, 12:39
I just inquired to the dealer and they told me that there is some kinda valve that may be the problem. I understand all about the front covers but today it's 39 degrees and it just barely goes over the 165range. So you can all understand when it really gets cold it works like S...

mbmax
12-13-2002, 12:54
matt-max and ccds,
If your squeak is lower down and sounds like at rear as you are braking,then get your dealer to look at their hot tips or bulletins. I had same problem on my 02 reg cab. Something about cab mount straps rubbing.They moved them and problem solved. Regards,
Frank

Searay90
12-13-2002, 13:57
Are you guys running both the grill cover AND bumper cover, or just the grill cover?

If your just running the grill cover, try putting them both on and see what happens. My GMC still gets a very significant amount of air thru the holes in the bumper!

Harry

Searay90
12-13-2002, 14:09
Polaris800

If you are staying at 165 or around that temp, then the #2 thermostat is not working properly, or is stuck open. But I see that the dealer replaced both of them??

Did they bleed the system properly after they changed both T-stats? There is a bleeder valve on top of the T-stat housing that must be used to properly bleed all air out of the system.

My understanding is that T-stat #1 opens somewhere around 160F, and T-stat #2 opens up somewhere around 190F. This setup allows the D-max to warm up in stages and protects the alum heads.

I hope they figure out your problem.

Albee
12-13-2002, 20:27
My 02 does not like to warm up when it is below 35 or so. I have found that when I run the interstate to work the engine temp will come up to normal operating temp withing around 5 miles on the interstate. If I run through town it may not warm up but halfway to normal. I have tried it with the winter front on, with no noticeable diffrence. Also, if I have my heat cranked up to full hot temp it will not warm up too good. But turn the heat temp down to around 3 o'clock it will warm up better. So, now I dont crank the heat temp all the way up and try and travel the interstate as much as possible. If I do go through town I have kept the tranny in third gear so the rpm's stay up around 2,000 and that is the same rpm's as what it runs on the freeway, and this helps too. I just dont think these diesels warm up like a gasser. And the larger radiator does not help either. My 2 cents.

polaris800
12-16-2002, 14:08
WOW! Still waiting for parts to come in and fix my heating problems. Hopefully this will resolve this issue. Also I found this to be interesting. The GM advisor ask if I had a remote starter. OK what are they up to. Well he told me that they were having problems in the past with these being installed. I let him know that DONT even try and use this Bull with me because I do understand LAW very well and that if they were to even attempt to come to any conclusion that would even suggest that this starter is the cause that I would take them to the limits. I have been very successfull in using the LEMON LAW :eek: I must say for $44,000 dollars this truck makes to much noise inside the driver side cab. I would think twice before I purshase another one thats for sure.

FirstDiesel
12-16-2002, 18:10
You must be kidding about the nosie, right?? First my truck is so quiet I sometimes forget it's a Diesel. Second, remember, it's a DIESEL. Third drive a Cummins and see how noisey this truck is.

hdmax(mike)
12-16-2002, 18:47
When I was shopping around for a new Duramax equiped truck, I tried out an 2003 2500HD LT that was loaded. Well about 3-4 miles down the road (now remember this was in August, so it was 80`s or 90`s out)The truck got so hot inside, I had to put the windows down.(even with the air on)

Apperently the drivers side heat vent was stuck on the hottest setting and the fan was on high. The only way to shut it off was to shut the truck off. But the funny thing was, the passenger side had full control. (but the air on the passenger side was not enough to over ride the heat on the driver side) tongue.gif

polaris800
12-17-2002, 06:40
TRUE, if you were to buy a FORD or a Dodge the noise is very bad. However, I bought this vehical knowing it was a very quite diesel. Being an owner of a 2001 and now driving a 2003 is truly a change. I will be considering my options in the near future and if they dont fix the heat and find why it makes the knocking noise then I will have to determine what direction to take from here... Remember,it's only a short time before the other manufactors start making them quite to. PLUS as I have reviewed the others HP they already beat the S--- out of ours :mad: redface.gif

DieselDennis
12-17-2002, 09:07
" Waiting for other manufacturers to start making their's (engines) quiet"

Too late. :eek: It's happened already. I've heard it said many times over the new Cummins is the quietest of the bunch now. How ironic. :rolleyes:

Personally I don't mind knowing my engine is running from inside the cab. redface.gif

polaris800
12-17-2002, 10:14
Let's not forget not only are they quite buy they BOTH have more Horsepower in them for the same year 2003. Now what does that say about our duramax's. I'm tired of watching the ad for FORD racing a DURAMAX at a DRAGWAY and of course whipping the tales off. them.. :rolleyes: :eek: :mad:

Maybe now GM will wake up and smell the rose'e :mad:

trout49
12-17-2002, 10:26
polaris800

Mine too has a knocking sound. It starts at about 1500rpm. Had it to the dealer and they checked the injectors and said no problem found.
It sounds like a rod knocking. But service manager said "it's a diesel they make those kinds of sounds". Well this is my first diesel so I have nothing to compare it to.
Keep us posted on what you find. Then maybe I can go back armed with better info. I don't think my dealer has sold more than a few Dmaxs.

NFLDMAX
12-17-2002, 11:24
Trout49, I know the feeling..this is my first diesel and the "noises" can make you go crazy if you dwell on them too long. Everyone keeps telling me it is a diesel :D

Maverick
12-17-2002, 14:39
I never have problems heating up. My truck heats up in 4-5 miles, with or without the flatbed hooked up. I don't run any covers and yesterday was 10 degrees. Runs at 190 very consistant. Long flat areas it may cool half a line.

When I had my head gasket problem they first replaced the thermostats. All I can say is they didn't look that good to me. One was stuck and the other the rubber was rotted. If you guys have over 70K I would invest in new thermostats.

[ 12-17-2002: Message edited by: Maverick ]</p>

elcamino
12-17-2002, 19:44
Talking with Chevy big dooley owner at tire shop last month. He had a remote started installed. Sometthing happened to it and it burnt up the engine wiring under the hood. He was po'd, cost him a lot of money to replace and he found out he was not alone. He had a another shop the installs stereo's, heated seats, etc do the installation. Several others GM owners had similar problems was what the dealer told him, he won't use them anymore.

[ 12-17-2002: Message edited by: elcamino ]</p>

Tdawg
12-18-2002, 10:31
OK guys so when is it time to put the grill cover's on right now it gets between 20 and 45 here in Mi thanks TR

polaris800
12-19-2002, 07:48
Our Manual states to install the covers when it get around 32 degrees I would never install them UNLESS you needed it i.e. lack of heat lack of warming up engine. I my case I dont have any heat now. Hopefully, they will fix it by installing some kinda of vavle some where. Who knows maybe I will sell and but a FORD or DODGE they both are producing more horse power stock anyway. :mad:

conradv
12-19-2002, 18:17
Polaris - reading your posts about your truck on multiple threads, I would say to get the Ford or Dodge - I think you'd be much happier. I on the other hand have had none of the problems you describe & plan on keeping my Duramax for about 200,000 miles. Or maybe more. I'm up to 4,000 now... smile.gif

[ 12-19-2002: Message edited by: conradv ]</p>

SteveO
12-21-2002, 08:06
polaris800,

I know this is a dumb question but could your problem be the main electrical harness that runs from the engine compartment to the passenger compartment or any of the other firewall connections.

You will hear all kinds of noises and cold air will come in like crazy...

Believe me this problem has given techs all kinds of grief...

opiekelly
12-24-2002, 12:30
From what you have stated the knocking could be injector problems. Mine was making noise just as you described and I had all of my injectors replaced. Still waiting on the fuel tests to see if the stock filtering system is adequate. Thanks to all who have been involved.

RHull2222
12-24-2002, 12:42
Update on failure to heat-up: Dealer replaced both thermosta's - one had come apart,stuck open...good experience with the Chevy Dealer in MT Holly,NC. Truck working great...2500 miles and counting...

Thanks to everyone for the head-up info...

polaris800
12-27-2002, 09:08
Due to the hoildays I have not had the VALVE they order for the truck install as of yet. Goes in Monday the 6th. Will keep you all posted. Still not heating up very well. Both thermostats have been replaced. Now they are saying this valve may be the problem. Temp just makes it over the 160 degree mark. I have some heat thank god...

2003 CC long box 4000 miles

johns
12-27-2002, 09:24
Polaris

No advice on your problems, just a quick question.

How does the remote starter work on a diesel? I've thought about installing one but don't know how it compensates for the glow plug cycle. Is there some sort of delay built in to allow for the glow plugs to warm things up before starting the engine?

[ 12-27-2002: Message edited by: johns ]</p>

polaris800
12-27-2002, 12:27
I have the Valet 552T install from a local Ziebart company. It's been installed for about 5 weeks without any problems. Range is pretty For the diesel part they installed a delay that can be changed any time you desire. I missed around with that part and found that just a very little trun of the switch makes a major change. But that will be nice so when the summer comes I can speed the delay up or just by pass any delay. Currently, I have it set to delay every time for 15 sec then it starts fine. I'm laughing because as of this it all worked we until I went to start it at lunch time and for some reason it did not start and stll would not start with the key. I call the Ziebart Dealer and they told me someone may have miss with my truck or some how that security system set the vehicle off. Due to this you have to wait 5 to 15 mins for the system to reset it self. No big deal all though I was a little concern. I will be keeping an eye open for any repeats. I LOVE IT... My is on a 2003 and of course they changed the wiring harness so it took the tech several hours to get it all hooked up correctly. No wires were cut. All wires were sliced in line.

c5dura
12-27-2002, 12:28
Johns, most newer remote starters has a sensor wire that connects to the "wait to start" signal. It is also possible to program a certain delay time, but the wait to start is prefered.

You'll also want a passlock 2 bypass. I used a PLDATA that connects with just 4 wires (gnd, 12v, databus and remote starter).

C5dura

johns
12-27-2002, 17:58
Thanks. I'm gonna look into a remote starter now before it gets any colder around here