PDA

View Full Version : burning off road (red dyed) fuel in a dmax

kellydog
09-01-2005, 14:16
OTHER THAN LEGAL PROBLEMS, Will red dye, off road diesel do and harm to a '03 dmax. I know this has been discussed before, and I am aware of the legal stuff. This truck is used alot off the road on a ranch for weeks at a time. Thanks

01DMAX
09-01-2005, 14:23
should be fine no diffrence really but in color is prob the biggest factor. lol i run it in 01 dmax hasnt had a roblem yet

JeepSJ
09-01-2005, 16:08
That red color lingers for quite a while - you need to nearly empty the tank several times to get the color to go away.

Hmmm...I wonder if a little OxyClean would kill the red dye...probably do nasty things to our fuel systems though.

tennykimble
09-01-2005, 18:19
the fuel has a red dye to indicate that road tax is not in the mix BUT also it means that is has a higher sulfer content, which is good because sulfer acts as a lubricant in the injection system. here's some .. fuel .. for thought, we had some backhoes from a local city crew come into where i work for fuel system repair, the customer was complaining of low power and poor starting, come to find out he was putting on road fuel in the backhoes and since it didnt have the higher sulfer content (like the RED fuel does), the injection pumps were seizing up!! this really doesnt apply to trucks but is does give some people some insight to how tight the tolerances are in a fuel system. BUT be careful they are cracking down on diesel pickups around my area, (i live in northern ohio) they are making them pull into weight stations if they have a trailer, they also check the fuel!! have a nice day smile.gif

jbplock
09-02-2005, 02:06
Originally posted by kenny:
the fuel has a red dye to indicate that road tax is not in the mix BUT also it means that is has a higher sulfer content, which is good because sulfer acts as a lubricant in the injection system. Kenny,

Good point about the sulfur content and lubricity ... However it turns out that the sulfur is not the component that adds lubricity. It

More Power
09-02-2005, 14:56
Member CareyWeber posted the following message in the 6.5 forum. Thanks Carey!

Dyed Diesel ok to use till 15 Spt 05

http://www.irs.gov/newsroom/article/0,,id=147221,00.html

I'd print the info asnd carry it with me if I needed to buy off road diesel.

Carey

MIKE MOG
09-11-2005, 13:52
Hey Kenny,
Where at in northern Ohio? I live in Geauga Co and have never heard of this, How do they check and do the just pull you over?
Thanks, Mike

PLUMMER
09-12-2005, 04:59
Here in Michigan, I have a company which I do alot of Generators for using Diesel fuel. Now there specs call specifically for the OFF road fuel. There specs say it has an anti-gel agent in it and is more suited for the generators low usage and all-weather needs.