PDA

View Full Version : Question for Western Washington D-MAX Owners

Crew Chief
03-19-2003, 19:27
I was wondering if anyone has had a problem passing the emissions Test with an after market exhaust system? How about with the Juice or any other chip installed? I am getting stationed at McChord AFB in Tacoma and was wondering what I will be able to do to my truck when I pick it up there. I know I have seen someone post who is from Puyallup. Maybe you can help me out. I have also seen several post's from the Seattle area, but I do not know if King County does emission testing. Thanks for any input you can provide.

SS396
03-20-2003, 00:35
Crew Chief,

Sorry I can't answer your questions regarding performance modifications and effect on emission testing, haven't had the pleasure with mine yet.

King county and other counties around Pierce do have testing. I know with the gas rigs they test at idle and at speed on a dyno, plug in the cigar lighter and a probe up the pipe. Diesel vehicles have had simple tests in the past, but am sure that has changed.

FYI diesel fuel prices are higher than premium, between $2.03 and $2.18/gallon. With today's action in Iraq, who knows.

Sorry I can't be of more help.

56Nomad
03-20-2003, 01:20
Wow..... I thought diesels were exempt from
emission tests. Even though CA was the first
state to require catalytic converters on the
Duramax engines (starting 2002), the state
exempts diesel engines from emission testing at this time.

Is there any other state beside WA requiring
this to be done????

SS396
03-20-2003, 01:57
Nomad, I should have done a search first, quote from the Washington State Ecology Web Site:

"How often does my vehicle need to be tested?
Gasoline and diesel vehicles at least five years old and up to 25 years old need an Emission Check every other year. Your registration renewal notice will tell you if your vehicle needs a test."

Based on this we have 5 years before any testing is required, shows that I don't buy new trucks often. I'd say juice her up.

[ 03-20-2003: Message edited by: SS396 ]</p>

schnier
03-20-2003, 05:37
I just had emission testing on my 2001 D/A with the Predator installed and it passed fine. The diesel consisted of a big pump/hose attached to the exhaust. The gasser engines test the fuel cap pressure, hood sensor, and tailpipe sensors. You should not have a problem.

310-MAN
03-20-2003, 08:28
Crew Chief.....Register your truck @ my address in Thurston Co. There is no testing here. Feel free to contact me at jgr3418598@aol.com John

Crew Chief
03-20-2003, 20:40
Thanks for all the replies. I spent 13 years at McChord AFB before I was reassigned to Englang--now four years later I'm coming back. I had an 84 3/4Ton 4X4 6.2 ltr before I left, I never had a problem with the test then. I didn't know if they tightened restrictions or not. My truck will actually be registered in Montana--but I still have to comply with the emissions requirements or I can not get a Pass to get on base! Washington State didn't forget us Military folks when they passed the emissions test law now did they. I will arrive at Sea-Tac on 5 May and stop at Jet Chevrolet on the way to tacoma to pick up my new baby. I can't wait. Oh and as far as fuel prices....I've been in England for four years---bring it on. Cheers

Modified
03-20-2003, 21:05
Will a less restrictive exhaust cause a emission problem? I thought more air flow would cause more efficient combustion, with less emissions.

As for the Juice causing problems during testing, five minutes and it's out of the truck, and out of the picture.