PDA

View Full Version : Bogus SES codes... anybody get them?

FrozenAKJoe
12-12-2002, 16:01
Twice now my D/A has given me a P0181 code which reads as a Fuel Temp Sensor malfunction (per Onstar and dealer). Both times I've made an appointment for service, but the day before I'm able to make it in, the SES light goes out (code clears). The dealer is able to see the code in the history, but since the problem is not currently registering, he can't narrow down the cause. The first time I had about 4k on the machine and the 2nd time I had about 12k. Both times, the truck appeared and felt like it was running fine.

I'm getting frustrated because I have to take time off work each time I take it in, and I lose the use of my vehicle for the entire day as well.

Any ideas?

Corndog
12-12-2002, 17:25
Joe
I think I read awhile back here on the forum that
if you are using the block heater, it will throw
the bogus P0181 codes. My truck has done this also, after using the block heater.
Corndog

Kennedy
12-12-2002, 17:54
If the dealer would take a few seconds to look into this, he'd find that there is a software update to address this. Simply put, have the ECM programming updated, and ask him while he is in there to do the TCM as well...

srubrn
12-12-2002, 19:48
Read the replies on the post about SES light at 1100 miles. You will find the answer. There is no problem that can't be fixed. It is your block heater that does it. Just get it flashed or live with it. No biggy.

FrozenAKJoe
12-14-2002, 13:45
Thanks everybody. I did a search for previous topics and found the thread that everyone is speaking of. I printed that topic and this one, so that I'll have something when I go into my dealer. It's sad that we have to rely on the internet to solve our problems instead of the factory "trained" technicians.

BTW, I'm getting sick of the "couldn't reproduce problem" excuse. That seems to be the dealer's catchphrase when they're too incompetent to properly fix an easy problem.

Thanks guys!

C J Fairall
12-14-2002, 15:49
"Frozen AKJoe
I would like to clear up two issues that frequently show up on this site. (1) The person that greets you at the dealership is usually not the "trained technician" , they are service advisors and do not have knowledge of current tech bulletins. To get your problem or issue dealt with professonally ask the advisor to print upa repair order which states your problem along with your observations and any other pertinant nformation. Then the trained technician can hopefully come up with the correct answer. Finding a dealership that has an advisor that knows proper repair procedures and scans bulletins regularly is very rare. (2) "couldn't reproduce the problem" I agree that dealers a too frequently use this phrase, but there is a positive side. If a technician can't duplicate the concern then he is just guessing as to what might fiix it,except in the case of history codes. In those cases he at least has a clue. Proper repair procedure dicttates that he should look for the obvious, attempt to duplicate the problem, check for service bulletns and last, but not least call Tech Assistance for the most recent info.. I hope that this clears up some of the issues that you have about dealers.
Jim.

hapaschold
12-14-2002, 17:12
ya just answered my question of the day also, thanks,

that 181 code just happened to me the other day, used the block heater that night before.. glad it s not nothing to worry about. .

Kennedy
12-15-2002, 12:22
C J,

Point well stated, but I think it is far too common that a "technician" hides behind the blanket statement made by Joe. I would also assume that the Tech 2 was hooked up and read by the "technician" in his case, who could then have checked their database or called TAC for anything related to the PO 0181 code and saved Joe a bunch of time/worry. Basically, I agree with what you stated, but it doesn't often work out that way.

Additional indirectly related observations:

Another problem I see is when a customer comes in with a pre-diagnosed complaint. The "technician" has 2 potential problems with this: 1) the customer is coming in to tell HIM how to do HIS job. If the role were reversed, how would YOU like someone told YOU how to do YOUR job? 2) If the issue is mis-diagnosed, it is the "technician's" ass that is on the line.

I guess if we all knew how many crack pots came to see these guys we'd understand. A lot of owner' cannot even grasp the basic terminology associated with diagnostics. I've seen the term "crank" used inappropriately on this very forum: "engine turned over but would not crank..."

[ 12-15-2002: Message edited by: kennedy ]</p>

FrozenAKJoe
12-16-2002, 20:49
Well, given all that has been said here, I'm going to print out these topics and go back to the dealer. He said to bring the truck back - don't bother to get an appointment, just bring the truck in, if the P0181 code was set again. They'd drop what they're doing in order to figure out the problem. I can't ask for much better than that. Since I now have more than enough information to give them a place to start (TCM/ECM) update, I should have my problem solved in short order.

It's still frustrating that we have to waste our time figuring out these problems. This seems like a pretty common problem. I can't believe that there's not info available to certified GM service centers that details a proper fix for something this common. It sounds to me as if my service guy just didn't do his homework. I'm going to have a polite talk with the manager about the whole thing. I figure when I show him the hardcopy of these discussions, and point out the fact that it took me 5 minutes of research online to get a probable solution, he'll see the light.

Thanks guys.