PDA

View Full Version : Stanadyne Fuel Conditioner?

XLR8 2 DMAX
03-20-2003, 10:20
I saw this at my local RV store for $5.00. Does anybody use this, and is it any good? Thanks

56Nomad
03-20-2003, 13:13
XLR8 2 DMAX ,

Quite a few of us use Stanadyne fuel additive.
GM recommends that we do NOT use any
additive, however if do a search on TDP, you'll
find a wealth of information and opinion.

Enjoy your truck!

george morrison
03-20-2003, 13:39
Standadyne manufactures water separators. Thus its additive contains demulsifer to promote water separation to enhance the water separator performance . Unfortunately, that separation can take place anywhere from the fuel tank right through to the injectors. Thus the Stanadyne additive functions completely contrary to my view that a fuel additive should have aggresive water emulsifier action, to chemically hold water in emulsion, locking it up and preventing its separation anywhere in the system.
Conceptually Stanadyne is completely contrary to what my experience has shown to be what we need in a diesel fuel additive. Both Primrose and FPPF contain agressive emulsifer components along with other benefits.
George

Budz
03-20-2003, 18:59
George, are there any downsides to emulsifying the water and passing it through to the injectors? I've heard mention of rust from fuel piping/lines causing injector problems. Does emulsification prevent rust problems?

Thanks,Budz

schnier
03-21-2003, 06:00
I have run Stanadyne in my truck for six months now and never had the water in fuel light come on. It runs better and less smoke. Why do you think they designed a water sperator into the fuel system. To hold the water in one place. I would not want the water getting to my injectors or through the engines. Stanadyne Power Formula is the only additive F**d recommends for it's engines period. I have heard both sides to this story, so do what you think is right. Just my .02 cents worth.

03-21-2003, 07:27
I use Stanadyne in 4 vehicles all have gone over 100,000 miles and have never replaced an injector of injector pump, so I feel it works.

zip
03-21-2003, 10:58
George- I suppose I should do a search, but help me understand the dif between a demulsifier and an emusifier.
As I understand it, a demulsifier causes bigger droplets of water to form,which makes it easier for the filter to trap and remove them from the fuel.That seems to be a good thing.
On the other hand, an emulsifier separates the water and dissolves it. Dissolved, it passes thru the filter more easily and can actually cause rust and wear in the injector pump and nozzles.
As long as the emulsifier also adds lubricity to prevent the rust and oxidation, I guess I'm OK to continue using FPPF, especially because of the other benefits of FPPF.But from the Stanadyne website it looks like their tests show it to be the superior fuel additive.
What's your take on their 1996 tests? Also, is the lubricity, which I imagine are fats, also captured by a filter like Racor or Baldwin's 2 micron. If the lubricants are captured, what happens to the benefits of the additives?
zip

[ 03-21-2003: Message edited by: zip ]</p>

jbplock
03-22-2003, 06:06
Does anyone know if Caterpillar has a recommendation regarding the use of fuel additives? No additive, emulsify, demulsify?

george morrison
03-22-2003, 10:01
Again, the 'to emulsify or not' discussion is indeed two opposing views concerning water and how to deal with it. I am in total agreement with the concept that, up to the point of diesel fuel entering our vehicles fuel tank, we want to "demulsify" water. That is, we very much want the water to settle out so that during its journey from the refinery tanks (where we also want demuslfication to occur) to the final tank we can continually draw off the 'bottom water' that will settle in the diesel fuel. The same is true for even jet fuel. However, once it gets into our Duramax (or any diesel truck tank) we no longer have the ability to drain free water. And free water will indeed occur due to the previously discussed temperature variations and its affect on diesel/water saturation points. And this free water settle can occur anywhere in our fuel system. We have discussed also in detail how the rudimentary fuel/water seperators do little to pull out entrained water, it therefore becomes necessary to ensure that the water saturation point does not occur in our fuel pump or injectors, or anywhere in the system.
If you have ever watched a Lear Jet being fueled, you will note the lineman is holding a can of "Prist" right next to the nozzle. "Prist" is a very effective water emulsifer: thank goodness because without Prist, many Learjets would no longer be flying as Lears have to use a water emulsifier to prevent fuel icing at altitude. i.e. water is 'locked up', surrounded by a lubricating barrier preventing the formation of ice crystals at -40F. Without Prist, "fuel line freezeup" (most other jet aircraft are not required to use Prist as they utilize an effective fuel heating/recirculating system to prevent in flight icing: and in flight engine flameout which can ruin one's day!)
This same concept is what FPPF and Primrose use to surround the individual water molecule with a lubricating barrier, preventing the actual water molecule from seeing daylight. This 'surround' prevents a plethora of happenings: rust, free water, water crystal formation, most importantly, pump/injector damage due to free water. Free water does not provide lubricity, fluid viscosity and can/will cause pump damage in the form of scoring, pitting, galling.
My sharing is also from dealing with diesel fuel/jet fuel for over 30 years in both on and off highway fleet operations (and 10,000 hours of flying time). The information is what 'works' for machinery and vehicles, with some fleets running millions of miles a year using Primrose, FPPF, Diesel Service, etc. However, none of these commercial fleets I work with are using Stanadyne fuel additive. Thus I cannot share any real world knowledge on the use of Standyne.

[ 03-22-2003: Message edited by: george morrison ]

[ 03-22-2003: Message edited by: george morrison ]

[ 03-22-2003: Message edited by: george morrison ]</p>

zip
03-22-2003, 13:42
Thank you, George. BD is right. These are excellent discussions about the fuel/water topic.
Pretty challenging at times, but worth the effort to learn.
zip