PDA

View Full Version : Oil consumption

3176CATPOWER
12-13-2002, 09:08
My truck usually consumes no noticeable amount of oil but I have found that it will use an amount equal to one notch on the dipstick in an instant if you happen to floor it say cruiseing at 55mph or faster and the allison kicks down to third gear.If you look behind at that time it looks like James Bond laying out a smoke screen.This has happened six times in the last 8,000 miles.Yesterday I took off in third gear and run it up to 3,000 rpm and did not see any smoke.It seems that the sudden downshift and increase in rpm makes it do this.I have run on the interstate at sustained rpm above 2200 rpm with no oil consumtion and also pulled the fifth wheel with no consumption.

Captain Mal
12-13-2002, 17:14
Catpower,

My oil consumption is usually nothing but....

Pulled a tri-axle 42ft. trailer from Pa. to Portland, Oregon last week. No oil consumption for 2,700 miles of towing. Dropped the trailer and 'boogied' back. Used over a quart in the whole 6,000 miles but almost all of it on the return.

Very cold weather to run in and I kept the rpm's around 2,300 (80+,mph) most of the way back. I'm thinking those two issues were factors leading to my first real oil consumption in 120,000 miles of operation.

You and I should slow down.

'01 D/A 4x4 ext. sb GMC

SID6FIVE
01-12-2003, 11:30
I've seen a couple of trucks with this problem...it turned out to be a bad seal in the turbocharger...no smoke during normal operation,just when you stand on it...