PDA

View Full Version : Starting on high idle

mciaio
12-08-2003, 12:05
What does everyone think of starting the truck cold on a 1000 rpm high idle? How about shutdown on 1000 rpm high idle? Bad for the turbo or engine?

Chris Hinds
12-08-2003, 15:07
I have the high idle hooked up in my '96, and I don't turn it up intil the engine runs for about 30 secs just to make sure oil has gontten to everything before I start spinning it faster. I have three glow plugs that probably don't work, so it smokes a bit when it's below about 40. High idle get the smoke out faster. smile.gif

I doubt shutting down on high idle would hurt much... The turbo isn't working at all, so why would it care?? I can't acutally start mine on high idle, because you have to press the clutch to start it, and that overrides high idle.

britannic
12-08-2003, 15:34
My cold idle on the mech. IP is set at 800rpm and it will hold that until the engine hits 125F which can take 5 minutes or more of driving.

I always watch the oil pressure gauge to check for movement before driving off.

WRT shutting down from idle, providing the engine has cooled off from a hard run, you won't hurt anything. Diesels are much more resilient to cold shutdowns than gassers in any case.