PDA

View Full Version : Too warm for cold front?

Jelisfc
12-13-2002, 15:09
Going to Montana this weekend. The weather channel.com says high 50's possible 60. Do I leave my grill cover on or have some of you found a way to fold a corner under. I don't like the latter because I don't drive slow! Don't want to rip it.

GMC-2002-Dmax
12-13-2002, 16:29
Jelisfc,

I have been running my cover here in CT. We have seen high teens low 20's for temps. No problems even idling. Today we saw high 40's - low 50's, still no problem.

I did remove my grill cover only because I was going home on the highway, but traveling to my destination I used the highway with the cover on and it did not raise temps over 190-200 at 70+ mph.

The manual says 32 degrees or below. I don't see it as a problem, just watch the tranny temps and engine temps.

GMC
;)

mtomac
12-13-2002, 16:44
For what it's worth, I saw a dodge cummins on the HWY with a snowplow on the front pulling a 30'+ horse trailer, temps were in the mid 30's. Maybe dodges don't come with a winter cover and this was his "on the fly" adjustable front cover.

WKener
12-13-2002, 19:08
As far as I know, Dodges do not come with a winter front (I know mine didn't). Maybe it is a dealer option now... I have always just used a 1/8" sheet of plywood with about ten 1" holes concentrated around the center. It's pretty ghetto, but has always worked (I am even on the same one after 5 years!)

I typically put the front in if the high for the day is going to be 40* or less. If I use it when the temps are over 40, my coolant temp tends to creep a little beyond my comfort zone when I place a solid load on the engine.

Hope this helps at least a little ;)

mark45678
12-13-2002, 19:30
I have found that above 50*f you need to keep a eye on the temp gauge with just the grill cover on! also I have had about 4000 miles with about 10" of the grill cover folded inside it self,almost all of these miles are 75~80 mph! It has no signs of wear or comming off! smile.gif

Kennedy
12-13-2002, 21:10
Depends how hard you are working it. I have had my Lund in for quite a while now, BUT the intercooler will lose a lot of it's efficiency...

IndigoDually
12-14-2002, 09:56
I ran mine last week with the colder temps and the wind. I plowed with it all day but when I was cleaning up the mall lot theat I was in all day I removed it because I noticed the trans temp started to creep up some. The temp dropped 10-15 deg with the cover removed. Engine temp dropped some also.

John

TLA
12-14-2002, 14:29
I hauled hay this morning - weighed about 31k. First 10 miles is uphill grade. I had the grill cover on, as temp was 44. No temps went over normal, but the fan ran all the time I showed boost, and max boost was only 19# (vs the 24-26 I have seen). I keep the cover on most of the winter, even on 50 degree days - just have to pay attention. I have never used the lower cover, but if we get the winter it looks like, I probably will.