PDA

View Full Version : Chip installation question?

Jim Cobler
12-30-2004, 10:36
My dealer was checking the codes on my truck by plugging into a receptacle under the dash by the drivers left knee. He later said one of the dealers staff had plugged in a programing device to change the settings on the truck to give it more power by plugging into the same receptacle.

He implied all you had to do was plug the hand held chip device into the receptacle and change the settings. He also said the device recorded and remembered the stock settings so you could easily change it back to stock.

I have always thought there was a more complex installation involved. Can someone enlighten me?

I am not a mechanic and do not want to get involved in truck modifications that I do not understand.

Thanks,

More Power
12-30-2004, 13:49
Yep, thats how the Predator, BullyDog PowerPup, HyperTech, SuperChips, PPE Xcelerator, and others do it. They communicate with your ECM, and can change/alter programming to increase power, reprogram for different tire/gearing sizes, check engine codes, monitor real-time engine data, and several other functions. All of them allow you to return the programming to stock.

If your ECM/TCM ever needs to be updated, your GM dealer tech will use a Tech II scan tool to upload the new programming. This is one of the nicer features of the OBD II systems.

MP