PDA

View Full Version : glow plugs

Phil Holmen
12-30-2004, 12:18
Is it possible to utilize the new LLY quick heat glow plugs in the LB7??

DmaxMaverick
12-30-2004, 12:25
Good question!

But....
Is it the glow plugs that are different, or the system, or both? I don't know.

On the other hand....The LB7 glow system has been very reliable so far. The only advantage to upgrading would be time. I'm never in that much of a hurry.

Out of curiosity, I "cold-fired" mine at about -12F, after sitting for about 13 hours overnight. Turned the key from off(key out) to start(crank), without pausing at the run(wait to start). It fired off every bit as quick as it did using the "wait to start", but was considerably louder. After about 5 seconds or so, there was no difference from before. I would not do it again on purpose, but I know now that glow plugs are not required to get it going, at least down to -12F.

GMC Driver
12-30-2004, 16:32
Phil,

You mention in your sig a homemade headlight booster. Do you mind explaining, or do you have patents pending? My 2000 crew cab seems to experience dimmer than usual headlights, low or high beam. I even upgraded to the Sylvania Silverstar, which improved the lighting, but they are not as good as some of the others, especially my 2003.

ccole
12-30-2004, 17:14
I plugged my pickup in for the first time the other night. It got in the mid-teens by morning. When I went out to start the truck, the heater done a good enought job that the glowplugs didnt even come on! Started right up and was warmed up in just a couple of minutes. Very impressive compared to my PowerStroke. Thanks!

jbplock
12-31-2004, 06:31
Originally posted by GMC Driver:
... homemade headlight booster. Do you mind explaining... See the following link for one way to do it... I'm not sure if this will work on your 2000 but it should work on your 2003...

Another All-Headlights-On Mod (http://forum.thedieselpage.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=5&t=001708#000000)

smile.gif

White Truck
12-31-2004, 09:44
Phil,
The LLY glow plugs would immediately burn out if used in an LB7. :eek: The controller is different, and is part of the reason for the reduced on time vs. the LB7. Also, if the LB7 plugs were used in an LLY, they would not get hot enough.

Phil Holmen
01-02-2005, 19:30
what if we were to update the controller as well?? Or is it all ecm related like the 94+ 6.5TD?? Just wondering, if it would be beneficial.??

Phil Holmen
01-02-2005, 19:31
Also ,, Has anyone had to repalce their glow plugs in their duramax??