PDA

View Full Version : pedal assembly

skip460
03-16-2004, 05:49
I am having a weird problem with my 95 6.5L TD. Sometimes when you go to press the gas it takes a little more to get it to react. If you release and repress the pedal it is fine. It is been getting worse over the last few months.My wife drives it most of the time, so I get constant updates when it messes up. This morning it, while idleing in park, reved up to 3000 rpm and stayed there. Tapping the gas pedal made it return to idle and it acted fine after that.It did it twice this morning. My wife delivers the USA TODAY 5 days a week at about 600 miles a week so she uses the diesel.Is there a way to repair the pedal assemby? I thought I had read a post a while back about someone dissasembing the sensors and cleaning the contacts.Thanks for reading this and for any input.

chickenhunterbob
03-16-2004, 06:04
This may be of some help,

http://forum.thedieselpage.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=005475

Repair procedure described courtesy of Mr. Chevdooley,

Bob

skip460
03-16-2004, 07:08
Thanks bob, I will try that trick.

Kennedy
03-16-2004, 11:32
More often than not, the APP module is not the cause.

Not saying that it is or isn't, but I guess I'd suggest "sweeping" it with a VOM, or verifying with a scan tool that it is indeed ramping up wildly or delaying response. Typically, I find that it is what is at the other end of the wires that is causing the problem.

skip460
03-18-2004, 05:25
Thanks to all. I pulled codes and I got codes for all 3 APP sensors. They seem to use a redundency program to minimize failure. I inspected all connectors and drilled two holes in the sensor cover and put in contact cleaner per the suggestion. Its been two days now and my wife says its never been so good. It had gotten to the point that you were afraid to pull out into traffic for fear of hesitation. She loves the new found responsiveness. But I can add that this truck has 238,000 miles with only a head crack repair and timing chain,with the customary injection pump at 104,000 not covered under warranty??? Thanks to all.

skip460
03-18-2004, 05:32
Also thanks John, without people like you in this industry, we would not be able to keep these great diesels up and going. Keep up the great work!!

Kennedy
03-18-2004, 06:32
Now THAT points at the APP module!