PDA

View Full Version : oil

growler
12-15-2002, 06:46
I have a question on the shell rotlla t 15w-40 with advanced soot control is this a good oil for diesel truck's? I have the durmax 2002 with trailer package it is time for the first oil change don't want to put rong oil in it. there is know letters on the pail saying what is in it like c-4 c-1 this is my first diesel have a lot to learn about them . I read alot of stuff of this chat room . hope this is in the right place new to this site. thank you in advance

Idle_Chatter
12-15-2002, 08:24
Welcome, growler. Shell Rotella-T 15W40 is an excellent diesel oil. There are many oil options, but you have to remember that diesel engines have an abrasive soot issue and you should only use oils specified for diesel use. Looking for the CH-4 code is the ticket. Using the search option and keyword "oil" will give you hours of reading on both petroleum and synthetic lubricating oil choices. You're gonna love that truck!

rtquig
12-15-2002, 09:12
Growler: I have used the Rotella since my first oil change and have no problems with it. It meets the specs in the manual CH-4. I buy mine by the case of 6 gallons for $34.99. Walmart sells it for around $6.50, and while at Walmart you can get Power Supply fuel additive. I don't see any problems with using dino, but also can understand why people prefer the synthetics.

White Knight
12-16-2002, 07:15
rtquig, you wrote: "while at Walmart you can get Power Supply fuel additive". As I recall, Power Supply fuel additive contains alcohol. Seems like a few months ago there were a number of posts pointing out that we should not use a diesel additive containing alcohol in our Duramax.

I also use dino oil from Wal*Mart and try to change oil and filter every 3,000 to 4,000 miles. I believe in frequent oil changes to prolong the life of any engine. I also firmly believe that the first oil change should come at about 500 miles.

rtquig
12-16-2002, 09:22
White Knight: First, let me say I didn't use the correct name, I called it Power Supply, when I meant Power Service, Sorry I went to their web site and they straight out say that the DO NOT use alcohol. You are correct, I did see many posts with that concern a few weeks back. I bought a case of Standyne Performance Formula, and like most I like to have plenty of backup including filters, oil and such.
I beleive like you pointed out change the oil after the first 500 miles and then every 3000, and that is what I try to do, but it seems like the way my work schedule is I end up changing it at 2700 miles. I would rather change early than late.

[ 12-16-2002: Message edited by: rtquig ] :( :(

[ 12-16-2002: Message edited by: rtquig ]</p>