PDA

View Full Version : Signed the papers today on a 05

jeff1216
12-31-2004, 12:30
Hello all...........Looking for some input

I currently have an 04 2500 HD 2 wheel drive with the 6.0 gasser.

I just signed the paperwork today on an 05 short box no frills work truck with the automatic.

I loved my gasser but the MPG was killing me....averaged 9 mpg around town and I do about 2500-3k miles per month with work.

Am I going to see a considerable increase in MPG going with the Duramax?

I really hope so....I have never owned a diesel....But my main motivation was longevity of the vehicle...and atleast 15-16 mpg.

dcalex
12-31-2004, 13:11
Well, Jeff, it looks like you and me think about the same. I've been looking at a new Dmax too....some of the guys here gave me some good advice as to the diesel v/s the 8100. They think the 8100 would do me better for my needs and I really think they're right. But, you know, my wife and I talked about it and we both just hate the costs at the pump. It really ruins the joy of having the truck. So....for that reason, we're still leaning heavily toward the Dmax.....irrespective of the potential for problems down the road. I can't quite figure it out myself. tongue.gif Just yesterday we were with the fleet salesman running the numbers and we basically have the truck all spec'd out. The fleet dealer advised us to wait until monday when the present incentive program is over (since it would not effect the truck we're gonna get anyway because of the time it takes to order it)and see what the new incentive package looks like so we would be able to nail down the final price. Anyway, from what I have learned here and elsewhere, you should be able to expect 17 - 19 mpg. highway with common driving habits and maybe even up to 22 with full package power modifications such as Banks or others. I'm sure the guys with actual experience will chime in here and give you their personal scoop.
Congrats on the new truck.

Darrell

Kennedy
12-31-2004, 15:14
I've run 18-19 with both trucks, and right at 20mpg once with my 2002. I personally don't think that there is a lot to be gained as far as MPG from a chip. I've seen cleaner fuel gain MPG though.

tanker
01-01-2005, 05:15
My son has a 6.0 in an 04 K-2500HD and his MPG sucks, he can't get 10 MPG around town. Yes Diesel's cost more, and now Diesel fuel cost's more than regular gas, but with the torque (if your towing) of the D-Max we chose Diesel again.
As far as incentive's go, if you order a new truck, what ever incentives are in place at delivery to the end user, they will apply. We ordered ours in November and its to be built in Jan. so maybe we will see it in Feb. What ever incentive is on that date, will apply. As time goes on the incentive's do get better, so we'll see what happens lat Jan, or early Feb. The red tag sale ends Jan. 3rd. Then something else will come along. Depends on sales, if trucks are not selling very well, then add more incentive's. When a new model first comes out, not much incentive's here. I'll be happy with 15mpg around town and 18mpg highway, maybe we'll see 13-14 mpg towing :rolleyes: Lets hpoe so.

poolman12
01-02-2005, 14:30
tanker
My 2002 seemed to get about 2 mpg better than 2005 i now have. Your estimate on lly mpg is close to what i seemed to get. 17-20 ( 55mph-70mph )highway. 15-16 town. 13-15 towing town & hwy. combined. pull three different trailers 7k-10k, some more streamlined & one box type with a lot of wind drag i would think. 2002 & 2005 juiced. With 2005 i stay in 2 towing & 3 normal. Seems to strong using 4 or 5. Followed 50 mph vehicle coming back from Dallas other day & he slowed down for 18 wheel turning around in middle of 70 mph hwy. When i started around him it seem to bother him & he floored it & when i punched mine we lost traction at 55mph. Did not dream it would do that in 3 with fuel at 1, scared me for a minute, thought we had broke something.
love truck & have friends who wished they had not gone with gas.
poolman

vette
01-03-2005, 02:52
My 03 Crew dually gets around 12 in town. I have had up to 19 highway.But i have a heavy foot. I have edge juice box installed. I always go to Kennedy diesel for any mods or advise. He is super helpful and has never steered me wrong.I want to go to 19.5 wheels and I will be calling him to ask about any mods I will have to make for tire size.

GSXRTURBO1
01-03-2005, 09:15
Hey Jeff ;)

jeff1216
01-03-2005, 14:58
Whats up Mr.Turbo

GSXRTURBO1
01-04-2005, 04:10
You're gonna love your new truck :cool:

jeff1216
01-04-2005, 15:56
One thing that really has me puzzled with this rig.

My gasser had a 4 speed auto and 411 rear.........The Duramax has a 5 speed allison (auto) and 373 gears.

They both turn 2300rpm at 70mph.....I would have thought the duramax would have been less

William Lee Gingerich
01-04-2005, 16:40
2300 seems a bit high. Ours turns 2000 at 69 or 70

pontiac_m18
01-05-2005, 22:52
HI JEFF 1216 & IF you e-mail me the S.O.N. & T.P.W. we can add you to the famous "LIST" That way you'll be able to track your "BABY" home as soon as it leaves the plant!! E-mail me with this info. to= howard_m18@yahoo.com Howard

madmatt
01-06-2005, 17:54
i had a 6.0 and got 13mpg in town and 17-18 on hwy., just changed exhaust and intake sys. around here diesel costs up to $0.40 more per gallon then gas. me personally I can't justify the additional cost of fuel or truck for another 1-2mpg. I love diesels and work on them everyday but I can't understand why so many people buy them just for daily drivers, and it seems as though I spend a lot of time @ work talking the good and bad of both to customers who end up going gas. to those of you who do take care of them and they will love you back for years to come. but if they don't, pull put the big pocketbook. I just did one repair last week that cost a couple a little over $5000 due to the fact they didn't change their fuel filter and ran nasty fuel.