PDA

View Full Version : Banks Stinger System

Cowboy_120
03-21-2003, 17:29
I just checked the banks website, and they finally came out with dyno results for their stinger TLC system. The numbers are pretty impressive, and the tourque curve is quite flat over the entire RPM range, but especially at the lower end.
Compared to Dodge and Ford trucks, the stinger system works very well for our trucks. I wonder when they are coming out with a power pack system for ours?

I will be installing my stinger system in the first week of may, and I will be sure to post results.

DmaxCC6spd
03-22-2003, 06:49
Thanks for the update Cowboy! After reviewing the dyno charts and comparing to charts posted on the Edge site, the Banks seems to make more power low in the rpm range vs. Juice which makes more power overall. Somewhat hard to compare since the baseline stock runs seem so different and the measurement points are different.

Be sure to post as soon as your kit arrives. By the way, are you doing the whole kit including exhaust, or have you already upgraded the exhaust?

Cowboy_120
03-22-2003, 07:58
Right now my truck is completely stock except for a K&N air filter. I will be doing the entire system (filter, waste gate, computer, and exhaust system). I am also getting the guages with it (boost and EGT), and I ordered the 2 pod pillar mount for them.
I went through a guy named Berry at the base plant, and he was excellent.
I like the idea of an all in one package that seems to be very high quality, and I only have to go back to one company if I have a problem. I am not too interested in a ton of more power, but this seems to be just the right amount to balance power with fuel economy.
I have also just bought a transferflo 70 gallon express UFS tank, and the timbren spring helpers. All will be installed by may. I will let you know how I like the setup.

Cowboy_120
03-22-2003, 07:59
By the way, how far is independance Ky from Frankfort? That is where I am picking up the system and I am having it installed there on Derby weekend before I drive back across the boarder. Maybe we could get together when its done that weeekend so you can see if you like it?

Kleve
03-22-2003, 16:08
I have also ordered a Banks Stinger TLC system. My Chev 3500 D/A is new and the main reason I ordered the Banks over the others is the guarantee. Banks says in writing they guarantee their system for the duration of the new vehicle warranty. If any failure of the vehicle can be attributed to the Banks system they will pay for the repair parts and labor. They also state they will serve as an advocate for anyone that has a dealer refuse to do warranty work because of their "after market" system. Banks has been around since 1958 and is well known and respected. Plenty of additional horsepower and torque for the reasons I need it.

mackin
03-23-2003, 07:51
That would be a great sell if that particular Banks setup was brought to a hard nose GM dealer like the one TLA is in his deep pockets with.....

Even if not catastrophic failure but a simple Over Boost DTC with MIL illumination and they see that Big Honking Wastegate Acutor present.....

Tape the message with audio please, I'd like to hear it.....

"They also state they will serve as an advocate for anyone that has a dealer refuse to do warranty work because of their "after market" system."

Who pays while you await the final determination??Not trying to be a stick in the mud,but buyer beware on these type of guarantees.....

MAC

:D tongue.gif :D

DmaxCC6spd
03-23-2003, 08:31
I'd love to see the finished product! I hate to admit that I don't know when Derby weekend is, but if your route north will involve I-75 finding a spot to meet would be quite easy.

Send me an email at skaats@itgltd.com and we'll see if we can arrange a time.

Thanks.

Cowboy_120
03-23-2003, 09:30
We are heading down on the furst weekend in May, May 2,3,4. I will have it installed the first day, and we will be leaving via I-75 north through lexington and up towards cincinnati on the sunday. send me an e-mail with info on where you are, and then we can meet up.
rfcowboy@rogers.com

Cowboy_120
03-23-2003, 15:06
hey 6spd, do you know of any good shops down in your area that I could have the system installed by? I was just going to look up a local muffler shop when I was down there and have them do the exuast, but if you know anybody you trust, I would go with them.
I am going to install the guages when I get back I think, but I dont think it will take too long to do the wastegate and install the otto mind computer down there.

DmaxCC6spd
03-24-2003, 07:45
Hey Cowboy, Ryan muffler in Erlanger KY is the most reputable exhaust in my area. I almost always do auto work myself. All my friends think I'm nuts when I eat the cost of parts that would be covered under warranty, but I cannot find any shop that lives up to my standards of quality. Its the little things like not getting grease on the steering wheel. I buy cheical resistant gloves (similar to latex surgical gloves) so that I can have "clean" hands in an instant if I need to. Vehicles are lousy investments and need to be cared for with care and quality so they last. I didn't spend nearly $40K on a truck to have some moran mechanic screw it up. After a few trips to the stealership with a Grand Prix for a mystery problem, I discovered that the mechanic stripped the bolts holding the intake manifold in place. They refused to correct the problem. I was so disgusted, that the car was sold shortly thereafter.

Sorry for the ranting, but I have a bad taste for mechanics. In fact, my neighbor is a full time mechanic for a local Ford dealership. He wanted to do some upgrades to his car and asked if I wanted to do the work. Keep in mind that I have an accounting degree. What does this tell you about dealership mechanics.

Long answer to short question.

Bulldogger
03-24-2003, 08:02
Just curious how much the Banks KIt costs. I bought ATS dual exhaust in Stainless $1153 plus juice referb. $606 then Spa digital dual guage $335 and last Amsoil air filter $47. Installed all at home for a total of $2141. Just trying for a base line commparison to see if it worth buying all seperate or if there is a discount when purchase as a whole. The real difference I guess will be the waste gate actuator?? Thanks Dave

Kleve
03-24-2003, 08:41
Bulldogger

The Banks complete kit is $1899. It basically includes everything you mentioned. The labor here in Tucson by a Banks authorized installer is $420. Once installed on April 1st will post my observations.

Kleve

DMAX Daddy
03-24-2003, 09:42
I wa quoted $1100 for the Stinger minus the exhaust

Cowboy_120
03-24-2003, 11:27
Bulldogger, the price given was correct for the banks system (1899), but it also includes the wastegate accuator.
I looked at peicing together a system, but for the price, and the theory used (more air flow gives big gains), I liked the idea of the clean system. I just think that with all the mod boxes being basically computers, there is always a chance of crashing. (ya, i know they dont run on microsoft windows, but a computer is a computer in my opinion). The more metal, and the less electronics the better in my opinion.

(This is not a jab at the guys with mod boxes, I am just taking a different path to performance upgrades)

mtomac
03-24-2003, 12:05
Stinger for Duramax pours on the power

Bulldogger
03-24-2003, 13:21
Cowboy, I think all the boxes are fairly similar performance wise. The box is where most of the power stems from. Exhaust and air intakes are used to lower EGT's.The system is basically the same price as mine but the ATS is a dual exhaust with one pipe behind each wheel. I thought the duals balanced out the truck, look-wise from the rear. Thats also where the extra money difference in the system comes in for that extra piping. I'm not really sure what you gain from the waist gate actuator. My understanding was boost got increased from the boxes a few lbs. Dave

Cowboy_120
03-24-2003, 15:48
With the wastegate, it is basically made so that the spring is stiffer, which keeps it closed for a longer period of time whichout it opening and letting the exhuast flow by without doing anything.
Instead, as the truck produces more exhaustfrom working harder, the wastegate keeps closed, allowing that extra exhaust to push the turbo a little more, allowing more fresh air into the engine.

With regards to the box, a lot of the power does come from the airflow (Banks claims the exhaust system adds 20 hp) which I think is pretty decent. I realize it is a computer, so I am not sure what I was thinking before when I went off on a tangent. sorry.

I guess I cant really say a lot about it until I get it, but I will be sure to let you guys know.