PDA

View Full Version : Fuel Filter change...I need parts!

AKDmax
12-15-2002, 22:53
Finally tackled the job. Fuel filter wasn't as hard as removing that dang fender liner. 15,000 miles on the filter with a little sediment, no orange stuff that I noticed. Sure wouldn't want to do that on the road at -40. Will begin using an addative as XOTAC mentioned. Anyone have the part number for the little fastener thingy that hold it in? I lost a peg! :mad: Why didn't GM put that filter in a spot that was easier to access? Also, I couldn't find the fuel filter replacement article that was available a couple months ago. Anyone have a good link to that?

[ 12-15-2002: Message edited by: AKDmax ]</p>

sdaver
12-16-2002, 00:19
dealer did not have the liner holders. i got them from a body shop supply place.....got enough for a few more fuel filter changes.......i send you some if you can't find any.............dave.........drop me a email :D

TooMuchMuscle
12-16-2002, 01:51
From my experience there is no need to remove the fender liner, all you have to do is push it out of the way and go at it. I have replaced mine twice and the first time I went from the bottom and the second time I went from the top. This way of doing it just makes things a little easier and can get the job done in 10 minutes. FYI... Both times I had to replace my filter on the road due to dirty fuel pluggin it up. Cali has terrible diesel.

ccds
12-16-2002, 06:46
AKDMAX:

here is the article where the fuel filter replacement shows the link but I can't get it to come up.

http://forum.62-65-dieselpage.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=10&t=002240&p=

Maybe its included in the latest compulation of articles. I have it here because I printed it off one day. If you can't get it I could scan it and send it to you....

Let me know...dndstarr@shaw.ca

smile.gif

White Knight
12-16-2002, 07:07
AKDmax, I have cut and pasted a number of posts relating to the fuel filter change out and would be glad to send you a WORD ducument of the posts. The WORD document is 3 pages long. I also changed my fuel filter by removing the finder liner. Next time I will try it from the top.

If you are interested in a copy of the posts, send me your e-mail address.

rtquig
12-16-2002, 09:30
TooMuchMuscle: Changing those filters on the road must have been a real pain in the Ass. Although I carry a spare with me, I hope to never have to change one while traveling.

XTOCAK
12-16-2002, 10:26
AKDmax, I actually broke a couple of those when I was installing my mud flaps, and was able to find the exact match at the local Napa Auto Parts store here in Kenai. I was going to have to run to Soldotna to the Chevy dealer but when I found that Napa was alot cheaper for the same part, I saved myself the trip and some bucks. I don't have the part number...all I did was take one of them in and they matched it up. Worked great!

By the way, I just installed the Kennedy Headlight Booster kit in my truck - WOW - that's a huge improvement for driving in the dark in Alaska. I just bought the kit, no Phillips Rally bulbs, and am very impressed...couldn't imagine how much brighter it must be with the recommended bulbs. I don't make a dime by saying this but every rig in northern, dark locations ought to have this setup on their truck.

Jake99Z71
12-16-2002, 14:41
First off what is so hard about changing the Fuel Filter. I can do it in about 5-10 minutes in my Sunday Best.
I know you would rather have them mount it here like the Fords have it now. http://www.backglass.org/duncan/2003f250cc/fuel_filter_1_med.jpg

Check it out. Sure looks easy when you are on the side of the road.

srubrn
12-16-2002, 18:41
I agree with Jake, it's easy. It may take me 5 minutes. I do have help though. One holds it from the bottom and turns while the one on top guides it. Wait a minute was I still talking about filters?

mackin
12-16-2002, 18:47
Jake

And your legs being run over by on coming traffic!!!!! Gheeseh ....
They should of kept the oil filter under there,you have to be there for the drain plug anyway.....Or is that in the glove box now???? Modern technology,thanks FMC......

MAC :D

mdrag
12-16-2002, 21:09
AKDmax,

Here is the part number I have for the plastic fasteners to hold in the fender liner:

This should be the same fastener used to attach the radiator cover to the grill.

There is a different type of plastic fastener near the wheel opening for the flares - I don't have that part number.

TXMAX
12-16-2002, 22:06
I used a hack saw blade and made two verticle cuts in the fender liner, one on either side of the filter. That allowed me to go straight to the base of the filter with a pair of large channel locks and it came off in a flash. I used a piece of strapping and some screws to keep the liner from moving and letting water etc. splash up on the engine. I makes it really easy top change the filter even on the side of the road, though I'll avoid that if I can.

Abe

AKDmax
12-16-2002, 22:45
Thanks MDRAG,
I figured someone would come through on this. $.57 for a pack of 10 from parts direct. Shipping prolly cost me 10 bucks. May try NAPA first, will post numbers if they have it. Thanks to everyone else for the offer of help.

On edit: it's $3.20 for a pack of 10 and 7.95 shipping. NAPA here I come...Left my sig out for ya MP.

[ 12-16-2002: Message edited by: AKDmax ]</p>

txguppy
12-16-2002, 23:05
We '01 ers got it lucky. The A/C lines are routed differently from the 02's. Those of us who acted sooner on purchasing a D/A got it ease.
All the Johnny Come Latelys gotta get their hands really dirty. Don't know 'bout the 03's? :D :D

txguppy

wakely
12-17-2002, 15:08
White Knight:
I would like a copy of the Word document on fuel filters also, Thanks
email wakely@aol.com

gdblake
12-21-2002, 15:54
White knight, I'd appreciate a copy of your pasted fuel filter change instructions. gdblake@myfastmail.com. Thank you, G. Blake

Grizz272
12-21-2002, 20:37
I would also like a copy of that fuel filter doc.

My email is bear2720@lycos.com

My dealer called and My 2K3 GMC Duramx arrived this afternoon Yahoo

GMC-2002-Dmax
12-21-2002, 22:55
I have a filter strap that has a square 3/8" hole for a 3/8" drive ratchet. It will take any filter off in the tightest of places will little effort.

I bet the filter was about a 5 Minute job from the top, as I just did mine the other day. I will see about posting a PIC soon so others can see what I am using.

GMC

Wesley Briggman
12-21-2002, 23:12
TooMuchMuscle,

What indications did you have letting you know you had bad fuel? Did you get a message or did the engine start missing or what?

Would like to know in case I have the same problem.

I have 17K on my truck and haven't had any problems so far. I try to fuel-up at big truck-stops if possible.

I had the filter changed at 15K by the dealer - at my insistence. When I picked the truck up, they had not changed the filter and said it didn't need changing 'til 25K.

Also had them change the spin-on transmission filter. Thanks to this forum, I had a printout of the Allison maintenance recommendations for the transmission - here again, they said the filter didn't need changing 'til 50K. I showed him where it should have been changed at 500 miles.

Anyway, would appreciate knowing what symptoms you had.

Thanks - Wes

AKDmax
12-22-2002, 00:13
White Knight,
Sure, I'll take a copy of the posts you have. E-mail is at the bottom.

XTOCAK,
The Kennedy harness looks like a good deal for low beams. Added some lightforce blitz 240's and they are awesome also. Pretty nice when we only have a couple hours of daylight.

White Knight
12-22-2002, 05:16
Everyone who requested a copy of the posts from The Diesel Page should have received your copies. Hope it helps you with your next filter change.

Sam

AKDmax
01-05-2003, 18:17
The part number from the local NAPA is 665-2388, in case you need some of these. Cost was $5.75 for a pack of 7.

dmaxstu
01-05-2003, 22:23
AKdmax
I went to NAPA today to pick up similar fasteners and the guy had a ringbinder that had pages with every conceivable plastic fasteners attached to the pages all you do is pick the one you want and he goes to the back and brings out a package of them. The fasteners that hold the fender liners were there in his ringbinder. Stu