PDA

View Full Version : FPPF Additive

ram/tx
03-23-2003, 10:58
I just found the FPPF Fuel Power yesterday, not a bad price. $3.95, 8 oz. bottle. My question, it states 240 gallons per bottle, which works out to 1 oz for 30 gallon. Is this what everyone else is mixing their fuel ratio at? Doesn't sound like very much additive for 30 gallons of fuel. Hard to calculate when you fill up with only 10 or 15 gallons at a time. Thanks for any information. I know GM does not reccomend any additive. Don't care. :D

NWDmax
03-23-2003, 11:16
Go to Kennedy's website and you'll see some recommendations on how much to use.For peak benefit I run 4 0z of cetane boost and 4 oz of total power every tank.Since I bought the truck used(12000 miles) I wanted to "clean out" any build up or ? that may have accumulated.It makes me feel better too!!
I am re thinking the amount I use and I'll let you know.
Blake smile.gif

Idle_Chatter
03-24-2003, 20:26
ram/tx, I use FPPF Total Power in every fill. I use 2 oz in my OEM tank (36 gals, 24 useable) and 3 oz in my aux tank (43 gals, 32 useable). In the Winter, I add one more oz to both treatments. I bought a case of bottles from John Kennedy in Feb of '01 and I've got nearly half a case left. Good stuff and goes a long way.

SPICER
03-25-2003, 18:20
I bought a 8oz container of Sta-Bil. I dumped out the Sta-Bil(alcohol based), rinsed it out with clean diesel a couple of times and filled it with my favorite additive. It has that dandy dispenser which allows you to exactly measure the amount you are using. Works Great! SPICER

Kennedy
03-25-2003, 18:45
I did like Spicer, only with the 32oz Stabil bottle. The long neck on the squeeze up chamber makes dumping into the filler easy.

Keep in mind, not all plastic will hold this additive. Some plastics will "melt" upon contact if not the proper material.

Oongawah
03-25-2003, 21:27
Yeah, and don't use styrofoam cup either(OOOOoooh WEeeeeeeeee). I guess I've been using too much. I've been using 3oz in a 26 gal tank. I just found out that it really is only 26 gals tank, and I'm recovering from a near hernia as we speak. Nuff said, Chuck.

Nixter
03-26-2003, 01:17
I have been using FPPF Total Power at 1 ounce per 5 gallons which yields 160 gallons per 32 ounce bottle. The indications on the bottle are that the 32 ounce bottle can be used to treat from 125 to 250 gallons. I also use the 32 ounce Sta-Bil bottle as previously discussed.
Can anyone confirm any performance benefits from the use of FPPF 8+ cetane improver. My source for this stuff will deal in case quantity only, which makes for an expensive experiment to try some. Internet purchase is not viable for this product here in Alaska because it is not approved for air freight, and surface freight would be a PITA and expensive.--Nick

ram/tx
03-26-2003, 07:09
JK--My question is now,is there a difference between the FPPF Fuel Power and the FPPF Total Power? I looked at your site and you sell the Total Power and I have the little 8 oz bottle of Fuel Power. The Fuel Power states 8 oz for 240 gallons of Fuel. Do I have the right product or should I get the FPPF Total Power? Thanks for all the information.

Kennedy
03-26-2003, 08:37
Total Power is the TOTAL treatment. It adds Cetane, more lubricity etc. Fuel Power is the BASIC treatment, and is more of a water emulsifier, and stabilizer/cleamer.

Total Power contains Fuel Power, and does it all...

Nixter,

The 8+ cetane is good stuff. I run it pre-mixed with my Total Power. Maybe when Maverick comes donw to the states in May? he can pick up some extra green hauling back "care packages" to the AK guys....

[ 03-26-2003: Message edited by: kennedy ]</p>

MaxDiesel
03-26-2003, 09:24
Hey idle_chatter,

You seem to have a lot of unuseable fuel. Or did I read your post wrong?

Idle_Chatter
03-26-2003, 18:00
Nope, that's the way it works out, MaxDiesel. I have an extended cab shortbox, so my OEM is 36 gallons and when the low fuel light comes on it takes 23.5 gallons to fill it up into the neck. My aux tank is 43 gallons, but is a 1 foot wide across the bed tank. Because of the rectangular footprint (52" x 12") it's almost 4 gallons per inch of tank level (well, 3.59 actually) and I have to leave at least 3 to 4 inches of level in the bottom for "sloshability" and making left hand turns when nearly empty (the fuel pickup is in the left front corner and sits about an inch off the bottom of the tank). That means that when the low fuel light comes on in the aux tank, it takes 32 gallons to fill it to within an inch or two of the top. The good thing is that it takes some of the variabilty out of foaming and such on tracking fuel use. I swap tanks as soon as the light comes on and put the same amount of fuel in the emptied tank each time - 23.5 in the OEM and 32 in the aux.

CntrlCalDmax
03-26-2003, 21:17
Hey Idle_Chatter

Unless you have an aftermarket tank short box pickups have 26 gallon tanks. You may be very lucky to have filled up at 23 gallons.

Idle_Chatter
03-26-2003, 21:34
Hmmm, you may be right CntrlCal! I'm getting older and my memory isn't what it used to be... What were we talking about? tongue.gif

MaxDiesel
03-27-2003, 09:37
Hey idle_chatter,

I believe that you do have the 26 gallon OEM. I looked in to this before I bought my 03. The short beds all have 26 the long beds have (I believe)a 34 gallon.

In regards to your aux tank. I have heard of the transfer flow type setups that have a pump that pump from the aux tank to the OEM. That way your not as concerned about running the aux take out of diesel because it only feeds the OEM.

Jim

Idle_Chatter
03-27-2003, 12:00
MaxDiesel, I've seen the Transferflow system with the in-cab data display and all and considered it before buying my American Tank kit. My aux is completely independent, fuel is routed through a 6-way valve mounted on the frame and the in-service tank recirculates through the fuel cooler as well as sends its signal to the OEM fuel gauge. All I have is one toggle switch in the cab marked "Main/Aux" and that's it. When the Low Fuel light comes on, I toggle to the other tank with the flip of the switch. I run the tanks in alternation to keep the fuel fresh in each tank and although there's some "unusable" fuel in each tank, it is thoroughly mixed and recycled by the fuel return system and maintains a cooling volume for the ECM.

johnpugh
03-27-2003, 22:18
Spicer, you wrote:

"I dumped out the Sta-Bil(alcohol based),..."

I looked at by bottle of Sta-Bil I have for the yard equipment and the label prominently says "Contains no alcohol". It appears that it would be safe to use in the DMax.

Of course, I don't use it. I use Power Service.

Just passing it along....

Later