PDA

View Full Version : Clamp on EGT

Ardie
01-03-2005, 04:35
Anyone try a clamp on EGT probe instead of drilling into the manifold? I know that I've used them before on my race car, but didn't know how good it would work on cast iron manifolds.

pgreen
01-03-2005, 06:10
If you don't get the probe into the inside of the manifold, you will get surface temp of the manifold, not Exhaust Gas Temps. The manifold will in effect average out the temps, and you could melt down pistons without even getting up to a high EGT reading.

I'm not sure what you race, but even on tubing headers, if your probe is not inside the tube, it is slowing down the response considerably going on the outside of the tube. Even a thinner probe inside the tube can dramatically increase response time, over a thicker one.

DmaxMad
01-03-2005, 08:39
I have wondered if something clamp on or magnet was available. My guess if you used this type the max temp you would want to see should be much lower. I would like to learn more on this subject as well.

Kennedy
01-03-2005, 09:07
I don't particularly care for the clamp in style pre turbo. Too much psi to seal against, and temp swings are pretty rapid and severe. Post would be a better choice for a clamp in. Thing is, you have to drill a hole and put the probe inside anyhow...

Ardie
01-03-2005, 13:37
Thanks all,

I already bit the dust and installed the Probe in the manifold. I was just a little reluctant to modify a brand new truck even though my dealer gave me a verbal ok on warranty. Verbal doesn't go far when you have a real problem! Oh well, I love the Edge/Attidude and I hope I don't have any problems!

pgreen
01-03-2005, 17:25
I know the feeling. I was drilling my manifold at less than 800 miles from new (about 5 days after picking it up!)

byronlj
01-03-2005, 18:41
I installed one on a new 05 Ford last week. I put it post turbo because of the clamp-on probe. I made the hole as small as I could (had to force the probe in)and used a lead washer to seal it. It worked real well with no leaks.
Dave