PDA

View Full Version : possible LH exhaust manifold swap for Duramax

mtomac
12-17-2002, 16:40
I took a look at the LH exhaust manifold on a Chevy medium duty truck with the Duramax today and the manifold looks the same as the one on our pickups, it just doesn't have the indentation on it. There are two different part numbers but the only difference between the two manifolds (as far as I can see looking at it on the truck) is the indentation isn't there for medium duty applications. They are both the same price. Now I just need to find a dealer that will order both knowing I'll be returning one or the other.

D-max Man
12-17-2002, 17:17
The manifolds are different. The 4500/5500 manifold curves around behind the engine while the pick up manifold ends at the back of the engine and the curve is on the pipe that goes to the turbo.

John Kennedy was working on an improved manifold for the drivers side, you may want to contact him and see what he came up with.

Kennedy
12-17-2002, 20:01
Still working on it. I will state for certain that there is NO WAY that I will be offering a mod OE manifold for sale. Too much hassle/risk of failure due to cracking etc.

srubrn
12-18-2002, 07:39
What's wrong with the factory manifold?

D-max Man
12-18-2002, 09:21
There is an indentation (restriction) to allow clearence for the steering column. However, there is plenty of clearence without it.