PDA

View Full Version : 02 Duramax Smoking

William Lee Gingerich
09-16-2005, 09:56
Our 02 duramax has about 90K on it mostly towing and I noticed the other day when idling that it was putting out just a little bit of bluish grayish smoke. This truck has been maintained really well especially the fuel filters. I put a post OEM racor 2nd filter on it at about 22k.I also have been using FPPT total power inj. additive for a long time now. Does this sound like an injector problem? Do I just keep driving it till I get the SES light? I do have the letter from GM extending the warranty to 200k. Any help would be great, thanks!

More Power
09-17-2005, 18:27
Might be a good idea to look at the injector balance. You could do this with a Predator programmer. If one or more are outside the norm (when compared to the others) it would also be a good idea to have the dealership check the injector fuel return flow.

Jim

William Lee Gingerich
09-19-2005, 14:43
Thanks Jim. I was out of town over the weekend so didnt have an opportunity to reply. The smoking seems to be getting worse,every time I come to a stop and idle it smokes.

William Lee Gingerich
09-19-2005, 16:50
If I take the truck in and they end up replacing some or all the injectors what will this do to my 200k , 7yr warranty. Would I be better off waiting as long as possible to take it in??? We are on the road a lot and can't handle much down time because of a real tough schedule. Any thots???

Kennedy
09-20-2005, 05:52
I would take it in now and see what they find. We have seen some cases where these symptoms come and then disappear, but you never know. The 7/200 warranty has no limit to how many times it will be enacted, but if you have future issues it may be tougher to get more than one injector etc which is understandable as the injectors are said to have been improved.

Rhoward225
09-20-2005, 16:15
My truck has never puffed an ounce of smoke since day one! I alway's bragged about to other Duramax drivers I saw puff'en.
Till about 150,000 miles. All of a sudden w/ my edge programmer in (Tow Mode #2) under a load, mine has started pooring out smoke! Being out of warranty GM will not do anything, the injector's and system were suppose to be udated or upgraded or what ever. I'm really worried I'll soon be paying $410.00 a peice to replace injector's, or fuel pressure regulator, or injector pump.
Don't want to worry others, just would like to know any other info, anyone else provides!

William Lee Gingerich
09-22-2005, 17:30
Thanks for your input John. I talked to my service manager and he said not to worry to much because of the warranty but I want to take it in soon. I dont want to be left sitting beside the road.

Ofbmicsafety
09-22-2005, 17:54
If it is injectors and that is what it well may be. I don't think you will as you say "end up sitting at the side of the road". It will continue to get progressivly worse. My 02 got so bad that when I got on it, the black smoke would cover both lanes and hide everyone behind me. Had an 03 that did the same thing. 02 at 69K and 03 at 88K. Drove the 03 for almost 15K before having it repaired at 103K. It's exhaust smelled like raw diesel and as you might expect there was a power loss and poor fuel mileage. I would agree that you should get it in the shop and have it looked at.