PDA

View Full Version : Very LOUD '03?

bryantch
12-17-2002, 21:50
Well my new 03 gmc arrived today in the prep area of the dealership and the end is near for my problematic 01 chevy. I stopped by the prep dept and checked it out and then asked if i could have the keys so i could check out the truck and when i started the thing i about s%#t! The thing sounds like my 99 powerstroke! no kidding! i shut the thing down and went over to the dealership (around the corner) and asked for the keys to another 03 dmax. i went out to the lot and started it up and it was just as quiet as my 01 both inside and out.

both truck were cold started in the same manner but the one i ordered is unbelievably loud! it SOUNDS like a diesel and there is NO way that you could order anything at a drive through or go to the bank drive up without shutting the thing off! The guy at the dealership (my salesman is in the hospital with pnuemonia) that does the ordering said that maybe it was because my truck hadnt been prepped yet...yeah right.

anybody got any ideas? this truck is the replacement for my 01 problem child that gm is buying back...i dont need a NEW truck with issues.

any help would be appreciated.

AKDmax
12-17-2002, 22:46
Not to be a smart ars, but did you check the oil? You never know... Hope this truck is better than the last.

bryantch
12-17-2002, 22:55
no, actually didnt think to check it...1 mile on odometer and .6 hours. it didnt sound bad other than i dont expect to hear a typical diesel "clatter" from a duramax.

FisHn2DMax
12-18-2002, 01:02
I had the exact same experience when my 03 GMC arrived after just 7 weeks after order. When the sales rep called and said the transport truck just pulled into the dealership with my truck on it. I dropped everything and drove right over there. After waiting for all the other vehicles to be unloaded, they finally unloaded my truck, I asked if it would hurt anything if could take it around the building, with all the plastic interior and exterior covers still on it. The first thing I noticed It was very noisey! I too thought it was too loud for a DuraMax and I also drove a 99 Fo$d SD that seemed just as noisey.

I loved the rest of the Truck so much I didn't make too much of an issue of it, but I did mentioned my concern to the prep mechanic. The next day the Dealer prepped the Truck and took it over to Line-X for a sprayed in Bedliner @ cost. I came back two days later to take delivery and to my pleasant surprise, it NOW ran quiet??? Prep Mechanic couldn't explain it either? He claims there was oil in the engine from the factory, he is just required to check all the levels and add if needed. He claims he only added a small amount. Truck had 12 miles on it at final delivery? The only thing we could think of is it needed a few miles to get the internal fluids to coat the engine components? I also remember the truck was on a very steep angle while on the transport trailer, depending on how long it was on that trailer, It could have drained fluid back from some areas in the Engine, Just a guess? Truck has run perfect and quiet ever since.

Don't panic, let them prep it, CHECK FLUID LEVELS, and put a couple of miles on it before you take delivery. If it doesn't go away, get another Truck or have them find the problem before you'll take delivery of the truck.

Good Luck!

:D

polaris800
12-18-2002, 06:21
They are loud period! I have one that is loud, wonte heat up properly and smokes like a coal burner under the hood. That's all I have to say. $44.000+ dollars is a crying shame to pay for what the duramax use to be compared to now. I know I owned a 2001 and is was not noisey, new ticked and never sounded like the connecting rods were ready to fly out from the engine. OIL not in the engine. Right I would never even consider that to be the problem. OILS dont have the ability to make ticking sounds.

svpdiesel
12-18-2002, 09:31
I, too, have an 03 that seemed loud in the prep area. By the time I picked it up that same day, it had settled down. The whole truck is quieter than my '00, and there are times, coasting to a stop, that I thought the engine had died. Can't hear it AT ALL on the freeway. I order at the drive-up no problem. Runs as well as my friend's '02.
So, Polaris, there is something wrong with your truck that CAN be fixed, and you really should press them for whatever it takes. Get on the phone to GM customer service and raise a stink. Tell them about this web site. Speak to the area rep. They will do something, just don't give up on it. Unless that's what you want to do...
S

woundedbear
12-18-2002, 11:11
This reminds me of something that happened when I started my truck up the first time at the dealership...

At the time, I was only test driving for curiosity sake, for I felt that the truck was a little pricey. Obviously, I got over it, but I'll never forget that when I first started it, a low oil level message displayed. I inquired the salesman about it and he showed no major concern. My wife and I proceeded to take it for a couple mile drive and he later told me it was a "couple of quarts low."

My question: Has anyone ever had this message display? If so, how many quarts did it take to get the level back to where it should be?

The truck has been great since, but in the back of my head, I keep wondering how low the crankcase really was... :eek:

[ 12-18-2002: Message edited by: woundedbear ]</p>

bryantch
12-18-2002, 16:33
thanks for the replys...i will withhold judgement until the truck is delivered. sounds like it will be a week according to the zone rep. i have to wait for repurchasing to contact me.

will let you know

happy holidays!