PDA

View Full Version : Rocker arm keepers

Polar Diesel
03-16-2004, 18:11
Has anyone had any experience with broken plastic rocker arm keepers while driving? I'm pretty sure this is my problem.

DmaxMaverick
03-16-2004, 18:21
Fairly common issue. Fortunately, relatively cheap and easy to fix.

Polar Diesel
03-16-2004, 18:26
Do you think I will cause much damage if I drive 200 miles to get home? I am at school at the moment.

DmaxMaverick
03-16-2004, 18:56
What symptom (noise?) brought it to your attention?

If it is slight and intermitent, 200 miles probably won't make anything worse if you are easy on it. This is providing that everything else is in check. Such as engine temp, oil pressure, coolant consumption, etc. You need to make sure that is really your problem. If you drive home and throw a rod, then it wasn't your problem. Etc, etc, etc.

gwaidman
03-16-2004, 20:24
What kind of noise does this make when one goes?
Just curious.

Polar Diesel
03-17-2004, 08:03
I was just driving along and it started missing. no noises, all guages in check. I know it's valve related because I can hear and feel pulses in the intake. there is no more blow by than it had before. It also has a slight bluish black smoke while crusing on the hiway and smells rich, like an old diesel tractor.

Polar Diesel
03-17-2004, 08:05
It's does it all the time while running, and it's not slight, it's a total miss, just like a plug wire fell off.

Kennedy
03-17-2004, 09:04
The nylon "keepers" generally fail as a result of some other mechanical condition. In normal use, they do very little, and are VERY strong.

Anybody who's ever pulled them can attest to this. A sharp blow with a chisel is typically the best way to remove them.

Polar Diesel
03-17-2004, 09:16
What kind of mechanical condition would put stress on the keepers?

Kennedy
03-17-2004, 20:07
Picture a giant rocker shaft as the main beam in a barn. You cup your hands to cradle the end of a pushrod that activates the rocker which has a wide base. How much side to side influence will you have on the rocker? Bear in mind you cannot move side to side, AND there is constant pressure from the valve on the other side.

92gmc
03-19-2004, 18:58
I have had one break and I definitely would not want to drive with a rocker loose like that. Especially if it is a rocker on the end of the shaft where it can fall right off and move around under the valve cover, possibly causing a broken valve spring or preventing another valve from closing and getting hit by a piston.

rickmeyer
03-28-2004, 19:52
I purchaced a long block on ebay that had a keeper break, and the push rod made it down one of the drain back holes and made contact with the crank. Enough metal was injested to wreck all the bearings. The lesson is dont drive it when it breaks