PDA

View Full Version : Full throttle performance

Dmaxin
12-19-2002, 10:51
I have an 03 with about 7k on the clock and have kinda noticed since the truck was new that it seems faster and pulls harder if you dont mash the gas to the floor. If i give it say 85 to 90 percent throttle it seems faster than just standing on the pedal. I have heard of a couple people that had a slugish problem with there 03s and the dealer said it was the electronic throttle control. Could that be it or am i imagining this. Thanks for any help.

hoot
12-19-2002, 11:50
I have always noticed the same. 3/4 throttle really seems to give you the best acceleration including great shift characteristics.

Idle_Chatter
12-19-2002, 11:55
I noticed pretty much the same thing on my 2001. As you know, the Duramax is a "fly by wire" throttle, in that the pedal is just connected to a big rheostat that tells the computers what you want to do and they do what they will allow the systems to do. There's significant "torque management" safeguarding in the programming and if you just jam it to the floor you are giving the computers full control over acceleration. If you "feather" the throttle, you can sneak a lot more power by the system because the error in the signal is less and thereby less likely to encourage a large protective response. Sort of like "sneaking up" on the governor rather than letting loose and having the governor anticipate and actuate early.

Dmaxin
12-19-2002, 12:14
Thanks for the quick response guys. I am glad to hear that it is normal and I am not the only one.

c5dura
12-19-2002, 13:54
Does anyone know if any of the power adders turn off this power management?

I would think only the powerloader/predator is able to do this since they modify the OEM program?

Oongawah
12-19-2002, 22:58
I just posted about this in another thread. As soon as I put on my AFE Stage II intake that problem went away for me. Check out the Saw Alot of DMax's this weekend post. Take care, Chuck.

Oongawah
12-19-2002, 23:02
P.S. From my understanding of the Mass Air Flow Sensor, I believe the extra air flow allows the computers the extra flexibility. Just my two cents, Chuck.

Dmaxin
12-19-2002, 23:59
Is the filter that comes with that any good?

Oongawah
12-21-2002, 00:35
It's a cone gauze type. I like it. It's cleanable. The kit has a nice shroud to pull air in from the front. It's been raining real hard, and snowing off and on here. Not a problem with anything on the truck. I'm real particular with my stuff. I don't see any problem with this intake. Just make sure it's taken care of, and maintained properly. Hope this helps, Chuck.

RWTD
12-23-2002, 19:52
FWIW, the Predator will disable the performance inhibiting aspects of the Torque Management.

For more information please see my post here:

http://forum.62-65-dieselpage.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic&f=3&t=004725

mtomac
12-24-2002, 08:17
I just put it to the floor and hang on

RealBigTruck
01-02-2003, 11:13
I tried this, but I still get max acceleration with my foot to the floor. Maybe my ZF6 is the difference.