PDA

View Full Version : OEM Filter Disaster

Lone Eagle
04-08-2004, 18:46
I thought some that don't read the diesel place might be interested in this.
I received a call today from a guy that wanted information on a secondary fuel filter kit. He said his 01, with 123K, was in the shop having all eight injectors replaced. He went on to say that they were plugged so bad at the inlet fitting that it wouldn't run. I asked how often he changed the filter and where he bought his fuel. He said he changed the filter religiously every 10K and tried to buy his fuel at high volume stations. He carries an extra 40 gallons in a bed mounted tank. You are not going to believe these photos. They are the last five at this address. Later! Frank

http://f1.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/rm11234/album?.dir=/16b2&.src=ph&store=&prodid=&.done=http%3a//f1.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/rm11234/my_photos

[ 04-11-2004, 07:58 PM: Message edited by: Lone Eagle ]

Lone Eagle
04-09-2004, 13:02
The Duramax is back running again. The bill was $4200. Sure glad that one is not mine. The tank in the back is made of aluminum with a hand pump. Other that some water drops in the bottom it is pretty clean. No signs of anything growing. That junk must have come from his main tank. Later! Frank

mdrag
04-09-2004, 20:38
Lone Eagle,

That is one NASTY looking filter :eek: Was the owner able to identify the reddish discoloration?

Did you have a chance to examine this filter in person? Interesting, the pictured portions of the filter media APPEARS to be intact, and all the nasties inside the filter canister would be on the dirty side of the filter...

So HOW did all of that debris bypass the media? Unless the media is compromised in an area not pictured...or...I did notice a lack of brownish adhesive on the metal endcap/filter media - could it have separated?

Kennedy
04-10-2004, 07:14
Free water can be quite nasty eh? ;)

txguppy
04-10-2004, 13:04
Why was'nt he and everyone else draining the bottom filter housing plug periodically. This may prevent those injector problems by early detection of a bad tank of fuel. I have attached a clear piece of tubing and periodically drain into a clear soda bottle to check for contaminants.

Also, those pix musta been taken with the highest resolution on that camera. They took forever to download

[ 04-10-2004, 05:06 PM: Message edited by: txguppy ]

Jorday
04-10-2004, 14:17
Looks pretty nasty from what I could see. I drain some fuel out of mine periodically to check for water, but have never seen so much as a drop of water. Were those pictures loading extra slow for everyone or was it just me?

Lone Eagle
04-10-2004, 18:54
I will try to answer all the questions in order. The color of the junk in the bottom is a little deceiving because it was in their filter barrel with several trans filters. I had to drain the ATF out. The junk was more rusty brown. mdrag, I cut the filter open and took the photos of it and the injector. I could not find anything wrong with this filter other than what the photo shows. The bottom cap was tight on the media. He doesn't know where he bought all the extra dirt or water.

John, George looked at the photos on the diesel place and said he thought it was bugs also. As I understand, they come from the water.

This guy has run diesels forever. He changes his filters every 10K and thought he had a water sensor that would take care of a large slug of water. I don't drain my filters and have not found any measurable amount of water when changing them. My last fuel analysis showed 45 ppm water. I don't think he grew this in his tank. I think he bought it over a period of time and possibly had a bad filter somewhere along the line. This is pure speculation on my part. I will question him about additives when I install the secondary on his new LLY.

The photos were shot at next to the lowest resolution. the file sizes are 129,166,121,265 & 434. They are big if you have a dial up though. I will do them a little smaller next time. Later! Frank

mdrag
04-10-2004, 21:48
Lone Eagle,

Thanks for the additional information. The pics loaded slowly for me using broadband - more likely Yahoo was slow/overwhelmed by all the forum members trying to take a peak ;)

mdrag

Lone Eagle
04-11-2004, 18:06
I just posted a link. Would some of you that had a problem viewing them try again and let me know how they work. Thanks.
Later! Frank

[ 04-11-2004, 08:01 PM: Message edited by: Lone Eagle ]

chipper
04-11-2004, 20:33
Lone Eagle,
Thanks for the repost, it works good now. :D

Kennedy
04-12-2004, 07:13
The pic of the OE filter bottom is VERY nice. It clearly shows the major design flaw of the OE filter. The drain is NOT at the lowest possible point, AND there are several quadrants where water and crap will settle allowing contact between water and platsic on one side, and water and STEEL on the other...

Is the orange stuff GROWING on the case, ir is it just deposited?

A look into the drain on the Baldwin element used in my Mega kit shows a valve much like an engine valve that is pulled outward against the face of the can to seal. It is screwed inward to drain allowing everything to drain from the lowest point of the element.

The glop in the injector cup is hard to read, but we also need to note that any goop between the line nut and line can fall into this cup when disassembled...

Paintdude
04-12-2004, 16:14
Dang! My filter just had black sludge in it. No water or rust and alot of that was from my aux tank (used 46 gallon Utilimater tank)I am sure. I filter it before I transfer,also. Those pics make me feel very fortunate. smile.gif

Lone Eagle
04-12-2004, 18:44
Just deposited there John. Those pictures are going to be good for my kit installation business. Later! Frank