PDA

View Full Version : Fuel in the oil

cogburne
12-19-2002, 17:46
I was driving home along when I noticed my normal 70 psi oil pressure was now 40...i pulled over, let things cool down and checked the oil...I found a couple extra quarts...

Called the dealer and they said to drive it home, another 30 miles...

1) What effect will this have on bearing life?

2) What has GM done for anyone in this situation to satisfy you? (As in a written warranty to cover the bearings, etc. for a longer period or simply replaced bearings)I do not want the dealership to tear my engine apart if it is unnecessary.

3) Dealer says it is the #4 injector

Built 04/01 now has 60k...First engine problem

Paintdude
12-19-2002, 17:59
I never would have drove it..I think that was bad advise.....They should have sent a tow truck for it..Get a oil analysis on the oil that was in it if you can..You may need the proof later...Good Luck..

george morrison
12-19-2002, 18:39
You have now seen first hand the affect of dirt/contaminants on fuel injector life. As previously mentioned, I would capture an oil sample asap to determine the level of fuel contamination and wear levels that have occurred. Fuel contamination is generally measured in small percentages. To have had your oil level increase to that level is a very high level of fuel contamination! Not only an immediate oil sample but follow on samples to determine if damage has occurred. When an injector is spraying vs. atomizing, the cylinder wall is washed down continually. Diesel fuel is not nearly as good a lubricant as oil thus wear for that cylinder is greatly accelerated. It is referred to as 'wash down'. Just last week I worked with a CAT D-10 bulldozer that experienced the same problem: the cylinder was so worn it was actually rattling in the liner! Necessetated a change of the piston and liner, something we cannot do with our Duramax engines...
I would suggest following your engine closely via oil analysis, even ferrography, to get 'on record' for warranty down the road.
George Morrison, STLE CLS

Kennedy
12-19-2002, 20:09
Any cases of fuel dilution on the Dmax have returned normal analysis (spectro) in terms of particle count. Now I'm not sure how the addition of fuel factors into the total parts, but I doubt it plays too hard. I ran mine a solid 60 miles home towing a small 7x14 enclosed trailer. This was almost 20k ago, and it hasn't flown to pieces yet...

Green
12-21-2002, 22:56
Cogburne, I also have just had a similar problem they are replacing 3 injectors, but the only thing different is mine blew part of the fuel/oil mix out the blow by tube, I hope to have to back by Monday 12-23-02 it was in there for 1 1/2 weeks.Was also wounder about the fuel doing damage.Truck has 55,000 miles on it and was bought / built in 03/01.

cogburne
12-23-2002, 21:36
Six days now...Still waiting on the injector...They say it has to come from Bosch...

I think I could have carved one in SIX days...The loaner makes me feel like I am driving a go-kart...And not even a fast go-cart...

I've put over 1k miles on their loaner though :D

billhv
12-24-2002, 11:52
...just home from the dealer, in a Buick Regal
no less, lol! Went to get rear brake pads put on,
truck's been blowin' fuel out the vent tube, l've
now become a statistic of the blown injector's.
Been told the parts are in stock, that's good
news...they've started already, what little time
is left today, & will be at it all day Friday.
l need the truck for Monday for my NY run, l don't know...?? 8 hrs work minimum l'm told. l didn't take oil sample, never thoght to till l got
here...any other advice, other than be patient?
At least l wasn't 3 hrs from home.
..for a good week the trailer brakes weren't
releasing right away, about a second or 2 they would hold..could this have anything to do with
blowin an injector? Brakes fixed last week. lronically as well l just put a new 320L [85gl]
tank in the box w/ a hand pump, so any smell of
diesel wasn't a big concern lately. Sorry for
rambling on , l guess l just want reasurance truck
should be ok. lt is my bread & butter, & ya l'm
still a fan of Duramax! MERRY CHRISTMAS EVERYBODY

cogburne
12-26-2002, 18:51
Day NINE...P/U still has not moved...

Service manager says he does not know when the injector will be here, where it is or how to track it...Says they have no way to track it since it does not come from GM.

I asked that the regional service rep become involved...Talked to owner of dealership with little help...He says it's not his fault they can't get the part...

Service manager said he called the regional rep but his call has not been returned...

Anybody know who to call to make an "end-run" and go over their heads?

Green
12-26-2002, 20:00
Cogburne, my truck has been in the shop for 15 days now, Tuesday they thought they were done but one of the fuel lines that goes to the injector was leaking and ordered another line "should" be here tomorrow Friday, said they couldn't tighten the line anymore w/o bothering the injector but did say if the line still leaked they would be replacing another injector which would be the 4th one to change out in this ordeal. I don't know why the wait has been so long on your injector(s) because they had mine about overnight, service manager did say the any dealer could not just order injectors to put on a shelve, they had to have VIN to get them? I was wanting to keep an old injector but there is a $100 core on them, they cost $500 a piece, lower valve cover gasket cost $104, and this fuel line was $94, w/o the line,labor, or anything else parts bill right now is just over $2000.00 gald it is still under the warranty. Go Luck.

cogburne
12-26-2002, 21:27
Green,

What dealer is working on your p/u?

Green
12-26-2002, 23:13
Sonny Cannon Auto in Blackwell,Ok They have done everything they can I think to try and get the truck done, but w/the two weekends and Holiday I am missing my truck. tongue.gif

gburden
12-27-2002, 16:33
Hell0, new to forum. 2001 dmax with 78,000 miles it been has been in the dealership for 3 weeks. started with a stumble at a puff of smoke at 2500 rpm's under hard acceleration. Dealer found bad injector replaced it made it worse, tech line told them to repl. injector pump. After replacement I finaly picked up the truck after a week and a half.I drove the truck 20 miles to work noticed the oil pressure at 40 psi at 2200 rpm,I found I had fuel in the oil.I called the dealership and was told to Drive the 20 miles back. They changed the oil and sent me on my way.
I continued to watch the oil pressure and checked the oil several times that day. I put 200 miles on the truck and the oil pressure droped again. After checking the oil I found it had more fuel. Called the dealership and was told to drive it on in another 25 to 30 miles back. They called teck line was told to tear it down to find a the leak, check the injectors AGAIN, no leaks found tech told them to put it back together. Still getting fuel in the oil. Now they have no clue as to how the fuel is getting in the oil.This has been going on for three weeks. So tell me is the bottom end hurt. Would you want a new engine.

Thanks
2001 crew cab 2500 hd 4x4
4 inch exhaust efe intake kit

cogburne
12-27-2002, 17:37
Day TEN...Still no satisfaction from anyone...No one seems to care about it...Besides me...Getting ready to go Postal... :mad:

letsgo
12-27-2002, 18:38
I have read a lot of posts on DP and I do not understand for the life of me what is wrong with the dealers in the states. every day in this area every dealer regardless of make has a 8.00am delivery and most have a 1.00pm delivery for parts every now and then you will have a next day delivery but days and weeks waiting for parts, unless they are deliberatly screwing you around. I can understand the lack of knowledge, that is the dealers fault for lack of training, and the mechanics fault for lack of interest in his job and future. I definatly feel there should be a subtle post with ????name???? of any dealer that lacks the workmanship required to work on Duramax's, most construction contracts have a clause, "all work will be done in a workman like manor" which is fair for any customer to expect any less is inexcusable.

well anyway good luck.

Green
12-27-2002, 18:40
:D Mine is out and running, just picked it up about 6:00pm and will keep a close eye on oil levels and pressure as was told to watch them also. Cogburne service manager did say those injectors are made in Germany that I did not Know. Again GOOD LUCK, mine was in their for 2 weeks and 2 days, I did have a renatl it was a 2003 F**D 3/4ton reg cab,5.4liter 2wd worked ok but not in the snow towing my Bobcat. Bad part is it cost $55-weekdays,$45-weekend days, and Chevrolet only pays $30.00 per day and I pay the rest which sucks.I will put that comment on the Chevy survery they sent out after service work. :mad:

cogburne
12-27-2002, 19:36
Injectors are made by Bosch in Germany...However the engines that use them are assembled in the USA...So it looks to me like they could get one from the big bin that holds the one for the new engines...In ten days I think they could even get one from Germany...

Merle
01-04-2003, 14:48
It is interesting to see I am not the only one with injector problems. I have blown injectors three separate times, with my oil presure dropping from 70 psi to 40 psi and fuel blowing into my oil. The first time it was the 7 & 8 injectors, the 2nd time it was the 3 injector at which time I had the rest replaced at my cost. 6000 miles later I again blew the 7 injector. Truck running good now, but as you can guess, I feel like it is a matter of time before I blow another. GM has a major problem and it will be interesting to see how long they wait to address it. I personally have been advising people against buying the Duramax.

cogburne
01-06-2003, 21:30
Today is day 20...They do have the injector now...Get my pickup back maybe Tuesday...Anyone interested in buying the little one owner?

I am not interested in waiting on the other seven injectors to go bad and drive a damn Malibu for three weeks...

mtomac
01-06-2003, 21:55
If it makes you feel any better Ford was having problems with the injectors on the new 6.0 powerstrokes. Injectors were failing with low miles during late testing before full production started. Some of the early built trucks had the injectors in & out a couple times before the trucks even left the factory.

cogburne
01-10-2003, 13:48
22 days later...

I now have my pickup back...Spent a few hours cleaning the diesel off of the frame and the engine...Seems they got kinda wild testing it...

Feels great to be back in MY PICKUP...

LanduytG
01-10-2003, 14:03
Ford's injector problem was a totally different problem. But what I am told by Navistar engineers it is now under control.
Greg