PDA

View Full Version : MegaFilter vs. New Dual-Layer OEM

SDWA
09-21-2005, 14:01
Ok, after running flawlessy for 90,000 miles, I'm suddenly told I'm getting 8 new injectors, as soon as they show up!

So... I'd like to keep the new injectors as happy and comfortable as possible - should I install the MegaFilter shortly after the new injectors are in place, or is the new dual-layer OEM filter good enough now?

Has anyone run any tests on the new filter to see how it compares to the old filter or the MegaFilter?

Thanks!

Scott

LanduytG
09-22-2005, 04:23
You can never have to much filtration. IMHO clean fuel is way more important that super clean oil.

Greg

Kennedy
09-22-2005, 04:45
I haven't said much about it, but I do have all current Mega heads revised to accept the new Super Mega filter synthetic media elements also. Brandon's test data is using this element. I hope to release this one shortly.

I'd recommend secondary filtration regardless of vehicle, fuel quality, or mileage. It just makes good sense. The release of the dual media OE filter and subsequent release of the longer version only reinforce this position...

Inspector
09-22-2005, 08:25
John:
Can we assume a longer change interval with the new "Super Mega" filter and what will be the cost?
Denny

Kennedy
09-22-2005, 10:11
The Super Mega theoretically will last longer, but the original goes 30k or better so that's not much of an issue. The synthetic media unit will flow at a higher rate and can filter down just a mbit finer at the same time. The one thing unique about the Super unit is that it has no gasket so we had to change the head to accept it. The post is different and we added an inset seal that the rim of the element can close off against.

Rocinante
09-22-2005, 14:01
Greg,
I just ordered new fuel filters for my 2003 D-Max from you. I have replaced them before, but with a lot of hassle. I have read the dieselpage forum about changing this in about 10 minutes!!! How is this done?

PS - your e-mail link bounced my e-mail to you back. You may have a problem?

LanduytG
09-22-2005, 15:33
I pull the inner fender liner. To me its the easiest way to get to the filter.

Greg

SDWA
09-22-2005, 19:12
I haven't said much about it, but I do have all current Mega heads revised to accept the new Super Mega filter synthetic media elements also. Brandon's test data is using this element. I hope to release this one shortly.So does this mean if I order a MegaFilter kit tomorrow, I'll receive the revised head that will accept the new filters?

Scott

Kennedy
09-23-2005, 03:30
Yes, all current releases are revised. This happened back a while like winter/spring if memory serves.

Inspector
09-23-2005, 11:23
John:
Do I have to replace my complete mega system in order to upgrade?
Denny

tbrowne
09-23-2005, 11:26
John,

Will I still be able to get the original filter replacements for the older mega filter head?

Rocinante
09-24-2005, 11:11
I haven't pulled the fender liner before, do you have any tips on doing this? Do I need to take the wheel off, or can I work around the wheel?

Thanks

Inspector
09-24-2005, 13:54
You can work around the wheel. Pop the centers up and pull out of the retainer buttons. Piece of cake.
Denny

jbplock
09-25-2005, 03:24
Originally posted by Rocinante:
.. I have read the dieselpage forum about changing this in about 10 minutes!!! How is this done? Rocinante,

In addition to answers above also see:
NEWBIE: How Do I change the fuel filter? (http://forum.thedieselpage.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=3;t=008526)

smile.gif

Rocinante
09-25-2005, 13:37
Thanks to one and all! Lots of great info as usual and a lot of options. I went out and looked at the inner fender covering and I can see how it is removed. I'm a little hesitatant about bending my AC lines, maybe it won't be a problem. I love the suggestion of using the 1 gallon plastic bag to catch any spillage. Any recommendations for replacing the undercoating that I may have damaged during previous filter changes?

jbplock
09-26-2005, 06:58
Originally posted by Rocinante:
... Any recommendations for replacing the undercoating that I may have damaged during previous filter changes? The OEM undercoating is Daubert NOX RUST X121B..

http://www.i-car.com/graphics/about_icar/current_events/advantage/2002/permatex/full_size/fig_5.jpg

I bought some over a year ago from Automotive Marketing advantage, (818)-780-7600

For more info ...
Black Frame Undercoat. Found source! (http://forum.thedieselpage.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=7;t=005300)

NOX RUST X121B (http://www.i-car.com/html_pages/about_icar/current_events_news/advantage/advantage_online_archives/2002/032502.html)

smile.gif

DmaxMaverick
09-26-2005, 07:13
The frame, from the factory, is coated with a high-temp wax.

JB's solution is GM's recommended collision repair product. I haven't used it myself, but have seen it applied. Good stuff.

If you use anything other than what GM recommends, make sure it won't react with the wax. Some undercoating sprays contain solvents that could disolve the existing wax coating.

Kennedy
09-26-2005, 12:56
Basically, the head and nipple are different, and since they are the meat and potatoes of the system...

The original elements and original kits are still available, and I see no end to these. This is the standard kit and the Super kit will be for those who are wanting the absolute best filtration/flow rates. The performance difference will not be that great on teh filtration end though.

The original heads will accept the post for the new elements, but they will need a groove ut to accept the inlaid seal. Doing this mod on a one here and there rework basis will be impractical, but I can provide the specs if you want to have it done.

I haven't officially released it yet, but have them available. The filter elemnts themselves are quite spendy at $70+...

bobo
09-27-2005, 19:09
I have a 2 micron cat filter on my kit and it is around $25. $70 plus seems like a lot for every 10-15k miles. It is always handy to have a spare. One bad tank of fuel and you are stranded!

Kennedy
09-28-2005, 06:33
Originally posted by Bob O:
I have a 2 micron cat filter on my kit and it is around $25. $70 plus seems like a lot for every 10-15k miles. It is always handy to have a spare. One bad tank of fuel and you are stranded! Stand your Cat filter alongside the elements that I use and you'll see the difference. The std Mega runs 30k plus and in most cases can run even further without restricting. It also has a handy drain to allow quick draining to check for water or sediment. The synthetic media unit is more difficult to build, but has uniform density. A typical element that uses cellulose/cellulose blend will inadvertently create impassible areas in the media when "tightened" up for low micron filtration.

In a nutshell, the Super unit can handle 20+ GPM and procces thousands of gallons without filling up. Overkill to say the least...

Jim Brzozowski
09-28-2005, 08:27
Scott, listen to Greg and John. Everone should have secondary filtration. FYI, I finally cut open my filters that I ran oem to 15000 and secondary to 30000. It backs up my theory that if you catch the big stuff with the oem, the secondary will catch the fine stuff and run a long time. I could see almost no visible difference between running the secondary 15K and running it 30K. However both oem's that ran 15K were really crudded up. There is no such thing as too clean when it comes to fuel that can be pressurised to over 20,000 psi. I now agree with them that 15K is probably too long. If I didn't have secondary filtration I'd probably be changing the oem every 8K.

Kennedy
09-28-2005, 08:40
15 k is still too long in most cases. The secondary filter is there to catch anything that may pass, BUT the restriction of the OE at 15k is what is critical...

bobo
09-28-2005, 19:06
Originally posted by kennedy:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Bob O:
I have a 2 micron cat filter on my kit and it is around $25. $70 plus seems like a lot for every 10-15k miles. It is always handy to have a spare. One bad tank of fuel and you are stranded! Stand your Cat filter alongside the elements that I use and you'll see the difference. The std Mega runs 30k plus and in most cases can run even further without restricting. It also has a handy drain to allow quick draining to check for water or sediment. The synthetic media unit is more difficult to build, but has uniform density. A typical element that uses cellulose/cellulose blend will inadvertently create impassible areas in the media when "tightened" up for low micron filtration.

In a nutshell, the Super unit can handle 20+ GPM and procces thousands of gallons without filling up. Overkill to say the least... </font>[/QUOTE]I like your filter. I don't like the price. I could change my cat every 10k and still be ahead in price. If your filters were $50-$60, it would be worth a switch for me. Enough about that. Having secondary filtration is a must. If I knew then what I know now, it would have been my first mod. The new dual layer oem does not subtract from the need of a secondary filter.

Kennedy
09-29-2005, 09:44
The std Mega element is just $32...

LanduytG
09-29-2005, 10:43
I changed the OEM filter after getting back from SLC and it had around 11,500 on it. It had a restriction of 7" and was very dirty. I cut all my filters open and that one was way over due. Thats the longest I have have gone and I will be making it a point to change between 8-10k now.

Like JK said the synthetic media is the berries. To me cost is not much of an issue compared to what injectors cost.

Greg

Kennedy
09-29-2005, 10:48
It almost appears as though the old single media combined with a high efficiency secondary unit may be best compromise between filter life and filtration. Of course I'll continue to run the dual media units and monitor filter restriction closely. Filter restriction as the filter loads up WILL be an issue. The problem is, GM is trying to get low micron filtration from a package that is just too small. Lift pumps will also help this...

SDWA
09-30-2005, 21:52
I was just about to ask... if I'm using the MegaFilter as a pre-filter, can I continue to "safely" use the single-media OEM filters?

With the new dual-media, what's the optimum configuration? MegaFilter as pre or post??

Scott

Kennedy
10-01-2005, 04:33
I prefer to see the Mega installed post in all cases, but I will have a rearward mounted universal kit available in the future as well. Letting OE unit take the major hit lets the WIF sensor will tell you if you get a slug of water. Also, the OE filter should be changed at 15k minimum to satisfy GM warranty.

Single or dual should be fine if the Mega is used, but I think it would be more efficient as secondary.

I've never seen an OE single filter show major restriction in 15k and I have yet to see a Mega get loaded up regardless of what is in front of it. It's pretty clear to me that the OE single layer media is inadequate by efficiency/dirt trapping standards, and the dual layer while better at trapping dirt, is inadequate by size/area standards...