PDA

View Full Version : Propane ?

Buck
12-20-2002, 04:50
Does anyone have a in cab propane level gauge? Or how do you keep tabs on the amount of LPG left? Under body tank is not going to work for me :( because I want 3 1/2-4 tanks of diesel, worth of propane. (20 gal. range) I am thinking about a tank similiar to Hoot's. This throws a wrench in my plans :confused: I don't think the Transfer flow tool box tank will fit with the propane tank and my gooseneck.
Hoot got any info on your tank?
email me mildave@ticon.net
I ran a search and went over to ***performance.com, found out a lot.
I'm sold on the PS2000 system
Thanks socal :D

hoot
12-20-2002, 08:33
Buck,

My 22 gal tank is not a small tank. It just fits between the bedrails and on the platform probably takes up 16" from the back of the bed. It weighs some 80+ lbs empty if I remember correctly.

Other options are long double joined tanks that are smaller in diameter. Your best bet is to call Wade Johnson. He really knows his stuff on these tanks and knows the people at Manchester.

As far as the in cab level gauge is concerned, that's no problem I have one. The tanks typically come with a gauge already mounted on the tank. You simply buy the sending unit which only costs around $20. It replaces the manual gauge. Making sure you indicate it will be used with a GM style gauge. Total cost for my gauge setup was under $100. The way the gauges work is there is no physical hole through the tank. The mechanical mechanism inside the tank consists of some type of float and a magnet. The gauge/sender mounted on the outside of the tank picks up the degree of magnetism. They aren't real accurate but mine does the job satisfactorily. I originally went with a digital gauge but it couldn't handle the rapid fluctuations of lp sloshing around.

If you want exact part numbers and more detailed specs let me know, I'll pull the paperwork.

TraceF
12-21-2002, 06:51
I am interested in Propane for my Duramax. When the tank runs out does the vehicle operate normally without the propane or is there risk of damage?

LanduytG
12-21-2002, 07:05
No risk of damage you just won't have the power. I like propane because if you don't want the power you simply turn it off.

Hoot do you still use your all the time or just when you want to have some fun. :D

Greg

hoot
12-21-2002, 08:17
I usually keep it on but when winter comes, I get the power drop off on the highway so I don't use it at highway speeds as often. Saves lp too.

I got something going with MAP and boost codes while on lp.

[ 12-21-2002: Message edited by: hoot ]</p>

Kennedy
12-21-2002, 08:29
You will not get a super early waring, but I have a low fuel alert on my fork lift. I actually talked my former employer into this as they have a remote storage shed and multiple buildings with slope in between making it difficlult to truck the tanks around. I late bought the little Baker unit which has a Hercules flathead 4. IIRC, it would run about 1/10 of an hour, or 6 minutes from the time the light went off.

As I understand, these are pressure switches, so a guy could monitor fairly easily. Just like a fuel pressure gauge, DO NOT plumb anything but signal into the cab.

Also keep in mind with propane, as Amianthus has observed, if a solenoid sticks, the RPM's are going to keep going, and there's NOTHING you can do about it till it runs out of fuel. Now I'm not sure how fast the RPM will drop with the abscence of diesel fuel, but I am NOT going to find out.

TraceF
12-21-2002, 08:38
The run-on is an interesting point. Does the TS Power system address this? Their's seems to be a vacuum system instead or pressure system.

hoot
12-21-2002, 15:15
If the solenoid sticks on the PowerShot, it will not effect anything running wise. The PowerShot control does all the propane valving, not the solenoid. The solenoid is only a safety shutoff.

The Powershot uses a diaphragm/spring loaded valve. Pressure from boost opens the valve. No boost, no lp. If the diaphragm should ever split, you will get no lp cause there is a big spring that needs to be overcome by boost pressure on the diaphragm.

Very safe setup.

[ 12-21-2002: Message edited by: hoot ]</p>