PDA

View Full Version : Argh! Dealer Games

dschultz
12-20-2002, 13:25
I would like to de-lurk now.... :D

I began using my block heater last week and sure enough the SES light came on one morning. I brought the truck to the dealer with a detailed list of some of the (minor) issues I had been having: Possible low fuel milage, sluggish and smoke when accellerating hard from a dead stop,
excessive 4-5-4 shifting when towing.

Asked to check into ECM/TCM updates.

Dealer called back today and said the FRT sensor was bad and they would order one for me.

Fuel Return Temperature? is this right?

Mentioned the discussions on this site concerning software updates vs. replacing sensor but dealer insists the sensor is the real issue.

:confused:

Any additional opinions out there?

Thanks for the support.

Colorado Kid
12-20-2002, 15:30
There is an itty-bitty chance that the FRT sensor actually failed. There is a much better chance that you are right.

Most likely scenario...you get the truck back with the brand new FRT sensor. First cold night you plug it in and the next moring you set the same code. You return to the dealer who, with some gentle reminding, realises that you know more about the truck than his service tech... in the future they will be inclined to listen to your suggestions. Since the truck is (presumably) still under warranty this is no big deal, aside from taking your time and trouble.

Less likely scenario...he happens to be right, your truck will be fixed and you don't have a problem.

Oongawah
12-21-2002, 00:53
Well put CK.

Kennedy
12-23-2002, 21:23
When you get it back, be sure to plug it in again and set off the SES light so that you can educate the "technicians" so they will not make this mistake again. Then politely ask them to research and bulletins for false trouble codes and the appropriate ECM updates...

rtquig
12-23-2002, 21:44
Why are some getting the SES light and others not? Could it be the amount of time they are plugged in. I have only plugged in about 10 times, and use a timer for 4 hours.

Joe Duffiney
12-25-2002, 09:59
I think outside temp has alot to do with it. If I use my block heater when temps are 15 or less I have no problems. Warmer than that SES light. I just checked my VIN # and finally see the update for false PO181 code . I will be taking it in for latest updates soon.

bluenote
12-25-2002, 10:05
I didn't plug my '01 any last year, but started to this winter. First off, let me say that it sure does make that dmax purr when plugged in for those cold overnights. There have been a couple of nights I plugged in and the temps didn't drop really low (mid-20's) and I haven't set a light yet. I have the latest reflash, so maybe that's where your problem is.

BobNelson
12-25-2002, 17:10
I put my block heater on a digital timer and it comes on for about 10 min each hour. Seems to keep the engine just right. Starts quick and quiet. Never have had an SES light. I plug in almost every night any time it comes close to 25. Most nights lately have been in low 20's. (warm spell)

Also saves a bunch on electric bill. In ten years, the savings might equal the price of the timer. ;)

CK was right... stay cool and document... It is nice to smile at the tech and know you were right. Hurts them a little more.

D-max Man
01-03-2003, 11:06
They definately had an issue with the block heaters setting false codes on 2002 models. It should be fixed with an ECM update.
They also had some problems with the block heaters burning the terminals where the core attaches to the heater itself.

[ 01-03-2003: Message edited by: D-max Man ]</p>

dschultz
01-06-2003, 15:00
I went to the dealer today armed with the GM VCI web site printout. I spoke with the service writer and mechanic about the info I found here on the forum and on the GM VCI site. The mechanic was interested in trying to check for software updates because he said the fuel temp sensor R&R was a two hour job. He talked to me about 30 minutes later and said he could not find any service info about the false codes. After I showed him the GM VCI info again and pointed out the part numbers for the updates he decided to hook up the Tech2 and check for updates that way.

Bingo!!! Well Duh! Update found....
ECM flashed,
truck all fixed....

I noticed that the Allison seems to stay in 5th gear better now....Hmmmmmmmm

Now off to the body shop to get crunched fender fixed....