PDA

View Full Version : DIY Gauge Install Guide

BMDMAX
01-10-2005, 06:10
I finally got the LLY gauge install done. So far they are working well, max stock boost and EGT has been 23 pounds and 1000 degrees. The LLY sure seems to do some funky stuff with the VVT as the boost seems to move around quite a bit especially at shift points.

I did do a gauge writeup on the install. Check it out and any feedback is appreciated. Let me know if I need to make any edits.

BMDMAX's Guide to Gauge Hotness :ro) (http://bmdmax.u27.infinology.net/Gauges.html.0.html)

:D

Kennedy
01-10-2005, 09:14
Nice job Brandon!

I'll have those billet gauge mounts in stock and listed soon as well...

Madd Max
01-10-2005, 12:32
BMDMAX, that is truly an A+ job. I don't see where you have to change anything. You have ended my search for a clean out of the way place to mount my gauges. Very cool.Thanks,

Madd Max

BMDMAX
01-10-2005, 13:27
Madd Max,

You will like having them there when you are done for sure. That little cubby always seemed useless to me anyway.

Thanks. smile.gif

yankee
01-10-2005, 16:31
Bad place for gauges as you will have to take your eyes off the road to view.

BMDMAX
01-11-2005, 06:06
Not really. I have A-Pillar and overhead gauges on my LB7 and you can easily glance at either location without loosing the road.

If you can't glance at them for what you need and still keep focus on the road than you might as well strip out every gauge, cluster, knob, radio or other accessory that will divert your attention. :rolleyes:

If you watch the gauges like a TV show then just pass on the install....

DIESELMAX403
01-11-2005, 09:44
BMDMAX,

Nice job. I did the same install about 1 yr ago on mine, but without the toggle switches. I made an aluminum plate insert to mount the gages and then glass bead blasted it to give a smooth texture look. Did you custom fab your chrome insert yourself? It looks professional.

Dieselmax403

BMDMAX
01-11-2005, 14:22
Dieselmax 403,

That mount is made by a guy out in California. www.socaldiesel.com (http://www.socaldiesel.com) will get you more information. www.kennedydiesel.com (http://www.kennedydiesel.com) will have them in stock as well.

Kennedy
01-11-2005, 15:14
Originally posted by yankee:
Bad place for gauges as you will have to take your eyes off the road to view. I tend to use my rearview mirror frequently as do most defensive (safe) drivers do so looking to the gauges here is really second nature...

yankee
01-11-2005, 16:31
Originally posted by kennedy:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by yankee:
Bad place for gauges as you will have to take your eyes off the road to view. I tend to use my rearview mirror frequently as do most defensive (safe) drivers do so looking to the gauges here is really second nature... </font>[/QUOTE]A rearview mirror is quite a bit lower then that cubby.A quick glance at a mirror of a image is different then having to focus on a needle reading on a gauge.You will have to look up and away for the most part.

Auto makers GM in particular go into great details to optimize safe driving,guess you guys no better.

I doubt it, so I'm Just stating the obvious.That's a bad spot compared to a glance at the pillar which most elect to use,the smart choice.

Ted a.
01-11-2005, 18:21
Yeah, that 1 second you look up at your guages will make all the difference in the world. If you like your pillar mounted guages that's fine, I like the clean look this man has taken all the time to present to us.

Madd Max
01-12-2005, 00:41
Hey BMDMAX,

Where did you score the SUPERDIESEL LLY INTAKE MANIFOLD, and what was the cost?

BMDMAX
01-12-2005, 06:45
Madd Max,

The manifold is made by a guy out in Colorado. His handle is SuperDiesel on another diesel forum, I don't think he posts here. He is working on a website but it is not active yet. If you go looking in the right "place" you can track him down on the forum that he is a member of.

The manifold goes for $110 bucks and he takes paypal.

Madd Max
01-12-2005, 09:27
Thanks BMDMAX, I will try to find him.

BMDMAX
01-12-2005, 11:58
Originally posted by yankee:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by kennedy:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by yankee:
Bad place for gauges as you will have to take your eyes off the road to view. I tend to use my rearview mirror frequently as do most defensive (safe) drivers do so looking to the gauges here is really second nature... </font>[/QUOTE]A rearview mirror is quite a bit lower then that cubby.A quick glance at a mirror of a image is different then having to focus on a needle reading on a gauge.You will have to look up and away for the most part.

Auto makers GM in particular go into great details to optimize safe driving,guess you guys no better.

I doubt it, so I'm Just stating the obvious.That's a bad spot compared to a glance at the pillar which most elect to use,the smart choice. </font>[/QUOTE]Yeah, like designing the Aztek. That thing is so ugly noboby wants to hit it.
tongue.gif

dmaxalliTech
01-12-2005, 19:32
That mount is made ergonomic, if that term may apply here. If you can look in your mirrors or down at the radio, you can glance up at this. I'd rather get hit by a guy watchin his EGT's then some bonehead reading a book while driving :mad:

Buck
01-16-2005, 09:31
Originally posted by dmaxalliTech:
I'd rather get hit by a guy watchin his EGT's then some bonehead reading a book while driving :mad: ;)

I've seen the Interstate map readers tooooooo many times :eek: :eek: 75mph+ reading a map :eek: :eek: