PDA

View Full Version : Duramax warm up

haydn
10-03-2003, 12:20
New to diesels. Do you need to warm it up? If so why? Wouldn't driving slowly warm it faster?

ryeguy
10-03-2003, 13:32
Opinions seem to vary, and I certainly don't claim to be an expert on this. But, I generally do let my diesel warm up before moving it. Not so much as I used to (I've got 60k miles on mine now), but it still gets a warm-up period. And I don't push it hard 'til the oil pressure has dropped back to what it is at when it's completely warm (unless I'm in a real hurry).

Good to see another Victoria, BC member on here!

--Rob

Jim Cobler
10-03-2003, 14:35
Since the Duramax oil filter has a bypass in it, while the engine oil is cold the oil is not being filtered. Therefore, it makes a lot of sense to me to allow the engine to warm enough that the oil pressure is close to normal before you really put the engine to work.

Buck
10-03-2003, 14:46
I let it idle until the volts come up(over 14 on the gauge) every time. When its really cold, I usually let it idle a couple minutes after that....

Idle_Chatter
10-03-2003, 15:48
I'm with Buck, I let it idle until the glow and intake heater cycle ends (volts will jump up to 14 from 9 or so) and then I take it easy on acceleration for the first couple of miles until tranny and coolant temperatures begin to come up and oil pressure begins to go down.

JEBar
10-04-2003, 02:04
As a usual practice ... ditto Buck and Idle Chatter ... on really cold morings do let it warm up a bit longer ... Jim

YZF1R
10-04-2003, 04:20
Also same as Buck.

Steve

deerhunter7
10-04-2003, 06:30
I never like starting a cold engine period ! That is where you get the most wear . Metal contracts when cold and expands when hot. Can't change physics. If it's 45 degrees or under I run the Espar or plug it in . Even tho the oil in the pan is cold it warms fast after starting a engine that is 160 degrees. Heated garage would be the ideal .

Michigana_Joe
10-04-2003, 06:53
It is extremley important to "keep your foot out of it" until the engine oil has reach its normal operating temperature -- particularly with high performance engines. This can often take a half an hour!

haydn
10-04-2003, 08:43
Re diesel warm up. Thanks for feedback. If cold (what is cold?) is clearance between rings and walls greater than when up to normal temps? How long after oil pressure comes up do pistons see oil? How good is cold oil at lubricating? Any research on this? If really crucial wouldn't some kind of sensor be useful?