PDA

View Full Version : FASS fuel system

ochster
01-12-2005, 22:20
Has anyone tried this pump/filter set-up? How about a proffesional opinion?

2dogs
01-13-2005, 00:55
Well I have it on my 01 Dodge - and it has been installed for over 75,000 miles now. I have an electronic fuel pressure guage - that hooks directly to the housing - and it never falls below 18 psi. My generation Dodge has a lift pump that as I understand should not be located above the fuel tank and not more than several feet from the tank. It doesn't meet any of these conditions and as such when the lift pump begins to fail - it will cause the VP 44 Bosch Injector pump to suck fuel. If you don't have a FP Guage - you'll have no idea it is failing. But under load it can draw the FP down to ZERO! This will result in both the replacement of the VP44 and obviously the lift pump. The FASS alleviates this problem. It also has the additional benefit of eliminating entrained air from the fuel. That alone was not sufficient for me to purchase - but a great additional benefit. It is great - I wouldn't be without it. BTW - with the fuel pressure guage - you can see when fuel pressure drops and that is when you need to change the filters. BTW - 1st post since being gone for several years.

The only problem with the FASS is that it returns so much fuel back to the tank - you can't keep your truck running and fuel at the same time - the hose will keep shutting off.

[ 01-13-2005, 01:19 AM: Message edited by: 2dogs ]

Kennedy
01-13-2005, 06:58
Beyond the fact that it is a filter/pump combination, it has no real value. The air removal thing isn't anything fancy, and we've seen no evidence of air in a pressurized lift system on a Dmax...

turbo lcc
01-13-2005, 17:39
I had a FASS on my dodge too and loved it. No fuel pressure issues at all.

tpitt
01-13-2005, 18:40
I just ordered an Airdog (Fuel Preperator) for my truck. Should be here next week. When I dyno'd my truck at BD Powers dyno days, I wasn't getting enough fuel, with the Edge, stacked with BD's Intimidater. 415.3 to the ground. Not too bad for an LLY. tpitt

turbo lcc
01-15-2005, 15:43
Originally posted by tpitt:
I just ordered an Airdog (Fuel Preperator) for my truck. Should be here next week. When I dyno'd my truck at BD Powers dyno days, I wasn't getting enough fuel, with the Edge, stacked with BD's Intimidater. 415.3 to the ground. Not too bad for an LLY. tpitt What type of HP did you put down with that stack?

tpitt
01-15-2005, 18:37
It was 415.3 RWHP. I wasn't getting enough fuel. This was with the Edge on 5 and the Intimidator on 3, (90) HP) I have the race extreme Intimidator, but never tried both of them together on both there highest settings.
I received the Airdog yesterday, but don't know when I'll have time to get it on. I'm going to have to do a little adapting as I have a Transferflow tank. The Airdog seems to be well engineered, but it isn't cheap by any means. tpitt

Kennedy
01-16-2005, 06:48
I'd suggest upgrading the transmission first. The stock Allison isn't letting the Edge do it's job. I've seen 420's from one module on an LLY after a beefed trans was installed. No lift pump.

tpitt
01-16-2005, 07:50
Hello John,
Had a Transgo kit and BD torque converter installed. There was a miscommunication when I was up there. They were to do the whole tranny, but the word wasn't passed on to the transmission shop. They're to do it again in April.
Mind if I ask what box by itself put out those numbers? I'm always trying different things. Thanks, Terry

ochster
01-16-2005, 08:52
tpitt...where did you get your airdog?

Kennedy
01-16-2005, 16:18
Just a Juice...

turbo lcc
01-16-2005, 19:24
So it the Juice hotter than the predator as HP goes with a beefed up tranny?

tpitt
01-17-2005, 06:46
ochster,
I ordered it direct. I'm actually set up as a dealer for them and FASS. I just haven't tried either yet. I don't even know when I'll get a chance to put it on. Hopefully next weekend. tpitt