PDA

View Full Version : Installed John Kennedy's Lift Pump Kit

tbrowne
04-19-2004, 10:12
I installed John Kennedy's lift pump kit on Saturday and the truck runs great with the kit installed. The hardest part of the job was removing the plug where the oil pressure sending unit was installed. I was beginning to think I'd break the tool before plug would come loose; however, it finally broke free. Looks like the factory used red loctite on it. It also turns out that installing the wiring harness was the easiest part. This is a great quality kit with nothing but the highest quality parts.

I feel better knowing the fuel filters are bathed in fuel and that the fuel will probably be cleaner when it reaches the injectors. I've had the Mega filter installed post OEM for about eight months now and air was an issue. I hope that problem is solved with this kit - I'll let you know when I have more miles on the truck.

Sorry, there are no pictures. I was going to take photos of the install but that didn't prove practical after the first half hour or so. I was so caked with fuel oil and grime, I didn't want to handle the camera.

Thanks for another fine product John!

TraceF
04-19-2004, 11:22
Is the kit available retail yet or are you a test mule?

tbrowne
04-19-2004, 12:01
No - I'm not a test mule. I'm not sure how many wiring harnesses John has available, but he was kind enough to send me one. The kit comes with a switch that can be used to prime the filter after replacing the filter element, which isn't working yet. Not a big deal, everything else seems to work as advertised. The defective switch will be swapped out later with a working unit as they become available.

Give him a call if you're interesed.

Kennedy
04-20-2004, 05:55
The kits are not QUITE ready yet, but SO close. Terry was having some acute air problems, so we set him up with a kit.

The pump and fittings have been ready for some time now, it's the control harness that has been the holdup. I want it to prime at key up, yet not run when no oil psi. The manual push button was final hold up as it was only working with key on, and I'd rather have it available with key off at service time.

This is not a simple relay harness, rather a digital circuit in order to get the prime function. The prime is not necessary, but definitely useful, and something that is common on all EFI vehicles, including the 96+ 6.5 diesel.

The loctite used is not the permanent type, but it is pretty stout...

scduramax
05-04-2004, 06:47
I have noticed that the lift pump and wiring harness is now available on Kennedy's website. I was wondering if anyone has installed it, and any comments on this subject would be appreciated. Also, is it better to go post oem with the megafilter, lift pump, wiring harness, or just go with the megafilter pre oem?

Kennedy
05-04-2004, 07:20
I haven't released the harness kit yet. Still getting production details figured out, and trying to make it neater in appearance.

Mr Browne got one that is 90% functional. The manual pushbutton feature is inop on his, but the basic function is fine.

IMHO, a lift pump to keep the filters full is the best solution. Not necessary by any means, but I believe it to be beneficial...

tbrowne
05-17-2004, 11:12
Thought I'd post an update on the lift pump, which has been in service now for about a month. The air problems that plagued the post oem Mega filter are definitely gone. I've had zero no starts to date and when I open the bleeder screw on the Mega, I get fuel immediately. There is no air trapped in either filter. Truck still runs great.

YZF1R
05-17-2004, 15:12
I'm installing John's kit this Friday. I'll let you all know how I make out.

Steve

Kennedy
05-20-2004, 05:19
So far, between the air bypass orifice, and lift pump, air accumulation has been a non issue, and filters are full inall test cases!

HBruns
05-24-2004, 21:40
I installed the Kennedy Mega Filter on my 2004 LB7 Crew Cab Long Bed last Saturday (May 22, 2004). I installed it as a secondary, mainly to keep the Water In Fuel (WIF) sensor on the front lines to detect fuel problems as early as possible. I figure that a WIF warning with the Mega Filter installed as a primary lets you know you have BOTH filters full of water and are in need of immediate & drastic attention.

The installation was straight-forward. The unit did not arrive with directions, though down-loading & printing the Installation Overview PDF file solved that. The installation photos make more sense to me now that I?ve done it. I would have preferred more images up front, though these directions are adequate. Fine-tuning the instruction with feedback from a novice would also help. A schematic diagram of both the primary & secondary installation hookups would have helped me. The installation overview mentions foam weather strip, and the kit had none included. I should mention these gripes are minor and should not deter anyone from choosing this set-up. I am a test engineer, and I have a long habit of pointing out any & all concerns, no matter how minor. Sorry if this sounds like a gripe session. It is not! I do like this filter smile.gif

Removing the wheel and fender liner opens up plenty of work room, and it is not difficult. Getting a handful of spare plastic retention clips as a precaution is a good idea. John Kennedy recommends using 90-degree long-nose pliers during the installation. This is excellent advice. If you don?t have them, get a pair for this installation and avoid some serious cussing.

The Mega Filter is well-built, simple, and well though out. The air-bleeding process is simpler than I feared. Bleeding also took less time & effort than I feared. I had the entire afternoon to get the installation done, and I took all of it. If I had to do it again I figure it would take me no more than two hours if I had all tools handy at the start of the job. Since this was the first time I turned wrenches on this truck I also spent a fair amount of time just looking around & familiarizing myself with things. I had no problems with starting or engine surge after installation. After one day of normal driving I have not detected any problems or abnormal behavior. I will start carrying a long straight-blade screwdriver in the truck so I can easily reach the bleed screw on the Mega Filter unit.

So far so good! The unit is in place, quietly providing much cleaner fuel. Unless I start having some of the problems I read about (trapped air, hard starts, etc.) that is about it.

I am seriously considering a 4 inch exhaust and a performance chip/module. I am primarily interested in better drivability around town and improved towing performance. If I can boost mileage a bit, that would be a bonus. I currently get ~17 MPG in traffic and 20+ MPG on the freeway (unloaded, 65-70 MPH, and ~3,500 total miles). I have also noticed the mileage indicated via the DIC is 0.5-1.0 MPG higher than fuel mileage I calculate by hand.