PDA

View Full Version : How soon to dump factory oil and filters?

Craig C.
04-20-2004, 19:44
My original thought is to get a little time on everything to break it in a little before swapping to amsoil synthetic 15-w40 , and swapping out the trans filter as well as the fuel filter , and the gear lube. Is 1000 miles enough break in time for this stuff??? Am I going way overboard in changing the fluids and filters this soon??? Just thinkin' alot of casting grit, new engine junk, debris in everything , get it out and get clean stuff in ASAP. Any thoughts???? :confused: :confused:

DmaxMaverick
04-20-2004, 20:39
Lots of opinions on this one.

Old school says to leave the "break in" oil there for a while to seat the rings, etc.....

There's no such thing as "break-in" oil. The first change is different because of all the junk in the engine after manufacture. Sounds like you already know that.

Newer technology sends the engine from the factory ready to go. No break in to speak of. With your truck, the only real concern is the rear end. It needs to be treated right when new to get the longevity out of it.

I would suggest changing the engine oil as soon as it's convenient for you. The sooner, the better. Change it again soon. After 1500 miles or so. Use the cheap stuff (dino oil), as long as it has the correct rating, CI-4. At about 5000 miles, I see no need to wait for the good stuff (I use Amsoil 15-40 HD Marine/Diesel). Unless you live in extremely cold country, stay with 15-40.

Kennedy
04-21-2004, 05:48
IMHO early and often.

The day you get it home.

500 miles

1000 miles

2000 miles

Or even sooner. The first few oil chnages help get the dirt flushed out...

deerhunter7
04-21-2004, 14:45
My Dealer changed mine when it came in from the factory . Next one was at 2,000 miles. I am now just short of 26,000 and oil never has been off of full. I go 4,000 between changes. It is'nt like there's handfulls of dirt in a new engine. The particles from breaking in are filtered out in your oil filter. Like mentioned there are many opinions , if you want to change often just do a oil filter change every 500 miles and add oil to full. I can't see dumping new oil out to replace with new oil .If there was that much dirt in there the first hundred miles your filter would be plugged. Now you are bypassing the filter. Damage is done . But it's your truck and money so you decide what you are comfortable with..