PDA

View Full Version : First Fuel Filter Change

SmokeyMax
10-05-2003, 14:32
WHAT A PAIN IN THE YOU KNOW WHAT! It should be easier next time as I finally figured it out.

My 03 has 10,000 miles so I figured I would change it out. For all new Dmax owners...Remove your fuel filter to check if there is an O ring. Mine didn't. If you dont want to check it at leats purge to see if there is any air in the system.
To make a long story short my last 200 or so miles has produced 21 MPG on I75. I didn't have any water when I drained the filter.
I think I was taking in air...

DA_MAXX
10-17-2003, 09:19
Smokey Max,

What method did you go with when replacing the fuel filter ? Over the top, thru the fender,etc.

Which o-ring was missing? top/bottom/both.

What was your mileage before your filter swap?

I'm currently getting 18.5mpg consistently. Have 12,600 miles. Going to replace filter this weekend.

Thanks

Cliffee
10-17-2003, 23:16
I just did mine as well. I removed the fender liner and it was a piece of cake. The filter was right smack in front of me with nothing in the way at all. Total job took 45 minutes. I used the Harbor Freight clip remover tool.
You might be able to fight with it through the top but why bother?
I can't see how there could be an oring missing. You would have fuel all over the place.

stutzismydog
10-18-2003, 09:29
I have the 03 model and after 14,500 miles I changed the fuel filter by removing the battery (1 bolt & 2 leads)and reaching over the top with a strap wrench and an extension I also placed a larger plastic zip bag around the filter to prevent fuel from spilling, and just removed the filter from the top. A little carefully push and pull of the air conditioner lines in the area provided plenty of room and should not have to fiddle with them again. A little wheel Bering lube on the "O" rings and reinstall. 45 pumps of the primer,reinstall the battery,...ready to run. 45 min.Tops

SmokeyMax
10-18-2003, 12:20
OK,
Now that I know how...It's a peice of cake. Go to autozone and buy a filter strap. This thing is basically a shaft that connects to a ratchet and the belt can be tightened prior to turning the filter (its next to all of the filter wrenches at autozone).

Disconnect the big blue air hose blocking the removal of the fuel filter. Don't think you can use any other type of filter wrench unless you remove the fender liner.

As for the O ring it was the one that connects the filter to the mount (the big one).

Also, go get something to stand on while you work as balancing on the tire will wear you out.

SmokeyMax

Lone Eagle
10-18-2003, 18:46
Smokey, If you look around on the frame below the filter you will find that missing ring. Later! Frank

dmaxalliTech
10-19-2003, 15:50
I have showed a half dozen people how to change these from the top with out removing anything in less then 10 minutes, including priming.. Where are you all?

Kent Tuttle
10-19-2003, 17:35
Eric...I would like to know the "tricks" for changing the filter from the top. I changed mine yesterday and still went in through the wheel well. Thanks!!

[ 10-19-2003, 06:07 PM: Message edited by: Kent Tuttle ]

OC_DMAX
10-19-2003, 18:38
Kent,

You want to cut open the filter? I'll bring in to work my "Mdrag special" Tavia filter cutter.

Alan

Tom Gee
10-19-2003, 19:30
Originally posted by dmaxalliTech:
I have showed a half dozen people how to change these from the top with out removing anything in less then 10 minutes, including priming.. Where are you all? Hello to all. I am new to the group. I own a GMC 2003 D/A Ext. cab. Currently, just over 7600 mi.

dmaxalliTech, would you be willing to list the steps to changing the fuel filter without the corresponding removals alluded to elsewhere in the thread. I took a look at mine and it looked like it might be tight. I admit that I didn't look at it for a long time, but if you have already solved the problem, I would rather use your procedure than to pioneer a new one.

To all of the members: I only recently joined and would like to thank the everyone for what has to be one of the most informative forums that I have ever used. The time that I have spent here has been well spent, entertaining, educational, and extremely enjoyable.

Best regards.

Kent Tuttle
10-19-2003, 19:57
Alan...sounds great. It is till sitting in the drain bucket. Like to see how this one looks. The one from my neighbors '03 Dodge did not look so good. Had 10K on it and was totally black :eek:

OC_DMAX
10-20-2003, 04:20
Kent,

Brought the cutter in to work and it is in my office. Get a hold of me sometime this week to pick it up and then take it home with you.

Alan

smartfix
10-21-2003, 17:21
hello all

There is no need to pull off your finders WOW.. You can change it From the top real easy guys.. Eric is 100% right.. We move the blue hose over to the right
and we have lots of room to get hand down to the bottom.. Why is everyone pulling of the finder ..Dont get this

From steve
Fleet

DMaxDave
10-21-2003, 17:33
My blue hose does not move much, are you disconecting it and then moving?
David

ZFMax
10-22-2003, 05:15
Just did my 3rd fuel filter change ... the first 2, I went through the wheel well, this time I yanked the battery. Holy smokes is that a lot easier! The battery pops right out, just undo the two side terminals (5/16 wrench) and the hold down bolt (13mm) and presto, it's out. Much easier than screwing around with the liner, especially on mine with it's molded mud guards bolted on there. And the filter is a whole ton easier to reach, I could easily undo the wire and get two hands on the filter. Plus you don't have to deal with the dirt in the wheelwell falling all over everything.

It didn't take me anywhere near 45 minutes.

fredw
10-22-2003, 05:40
did my first one the other day, just looking at the job, i deceided to remove battery as well, not a big thing, three bolts and battery was removed, did not need no wrench to remove filter, hand tight, whole job from drive in to drive out was about twenty minutes :D , so what is the easyest way to cut open the filter for inspection, die grinder, tin snipes, grinder,

jbplock
10-22-2003, 07:51
Originally posted by fredw:
... so what is the easyest way to cut open the filter for inspection, die grinder, tin snipes, grinder, Fred,
I think the best way is with a filter cutter (Tavia) (http://www.globaltoolsupply.com/cgi-local/SoftCart.exe/online-store/scstore/p-P1-331.html?E+scstore).
http://www.globaltoolsupply.com/online-store/scstore/graphics/item331.jpg
So far I've been using a 3in cut-off disk on my die grinder which works OK. However I'll probably end up buying the Tavia before too long.
smile.gif

Mike Fultz
10-24-2003, 09:40
Well, it was my turn to do the first fuel filter change on my '03 D/A with 8000 miles on the clock. I looked around the top of the engine and did not see an easy way to get to the filter.... My Sears Strap wrench, made with a rubber strap was too thick to get around the filter by the engine block. I did not see easily ( it was my first time) how to disconnect the Water sensor from the filter... I was looking at the wrong place. I guess, I too can use a lesson from Dmaxallitech--- I went through the wheel well. Not much of a problem, it took about a half hour to do the change, including clean up time. No rust inside my filter, but when I tipped it over and drained it out into a clean catch can, I was suprised how much "junk" including what looks like droplets of rusty water came out. I too think I should consider additional fuel filtering...

Mike

Minn-kota
10-27-2003, 16:59
Originally posted by dmaxalliTech:
I have showed a half dozen people how to change these from the top with out removing anything in less then 10 minutes, including priming.. Where are you all? Eagerly awaiting your suggestion on a 10min filter change????

thanks

jesshd
10-27-2003, 20:17
http//:diesel page dot com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=1579&PN=1

Make the necessary changes to the above URL. Complete pics and all. Great job Eric.

Jess

mobowhunter
10-28-2003, 11:56
I followed Eric's (dmaxalliTech) method of changing the fuel filter. It took less than 15 minutes. To cut the filter open I also used Erics suggestion and used an exhaust cutter. Thanks dmaxallitechj for all the suggestions

NewEnglandDmax
10-28-2003, 19:43
Try this link for a good photo explanation

http://***********.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=1579&PN=1

John

NewEnglandDmax
10-28-2003, 19:44
http://***********.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=1579&PN=1

NewEnglandDmax
10-28-2003, 19:45
Whay are the words *********** replaced by ******* in my posts?

NewEnglandDmax
10-28-2003, 19:46
d i e s e l p l a c e

thats the word replaced. Whats the big deal????????

jesshd
10-28-2003, 21:35
There is a filter in place on this forum that does not allow the word diesel place to be used in a URL sentence. It is in the realm of politics

Jess

Phil B.
10-28-2003, 22:13
Hey Eric: Thanks for the great info and pics ;)

Phil B.