Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 6.5 Girdle

Arrow 6.5 Girdle

The custom engine work shown here was performed by Andrew Ashwill in 2002.

Andrew did some great custom machining that I thought should be shown to those who weren't here in the BB five years ago.

Jim

Did this also have a custom pan? I have been thinking of trying to mill one myself but not quite as elaborate. Also where did you get the studs from? P.S. It does look good!
    1982 K5 Blazer(Blazin) 4x4, 700r4, start of modified exhaust, 6 inch tall filter breather with 4" snorkel,egt gage, main bearing girdle as seen in gridle thread

1985 Suburban(Labrat) 4x4, 3' dual exhaust, egt gage, opened intake,700r4 with alto clutches, beast sun shell,13 vane pump,and more,others in progress hence the name.

Can one be purchased from him now. I would like one of those.

That is some beautiful machine work. I am teary eyed just looking at it. Heck I might just make that my computer background.
    Slim

1995 Chevy 2500,4x4, 5 spd, 6.2 .040 over, 18:1 ceramic coated pistons, Ported 6.5 turbo heads,6.5 high pop injectors, Gm-8 turbo ported turbine housing, custom intercooler, gm dual thermo, 130 gph water pump, 3 to 3.5 turbo down pipe to 4 inch exhaust. Custom electronic adjustable waste gate (got the idea from the Honda guys, Thanks), custom frame mount FSD cooler.

Custom Main caps with cross bolts and the whole 9 yards.
    IF that wont keep the bottom end together, doubtful anything will.

This fine piece and a steel crank would make the 6.5 a real 10 for sure.
    (1) 1995 Suburban 2500 4x4
    (1) 1997 Astro
    (1) 2005 Suburban (Papa Smurf)
    THIS IS BOW TIE COUNTRY

Didn't he sell that truck\engine a while back?
    jd
    '96 Dodge 3500HD cc 2wd drw............'89 GMC 3500 cc 4wd drw
    5.9 12v #10TST 6sp SBC13-1.375.......6.5TD EFI maxEtorq v2.0 DSG
    DODGE makes it CUMMINS shakes it.....4L80E 205 4.10 Dana60\70HD
    6 in a row makes it go.......................Grandpa's big truck

I have came up with a design that covers all 5 main caps but I seemed to have reached a snag I'm having trouble locating bolts. I need 12x1.75x85mm. any ideas? These things fit but I need longer bolts. Studs won't fit under the pan on the #1 main cap.
    1982 K5 Blazer(Blazin) 4x4, 700r4, start of modified exhaust, 6 inch tall filter breather with 4" snorkel,egt gage, main bearing girdle as seen in gridle thread

1985 Suburban(Labrat) 4x4, 3' dual exhaust, egt gage, opened intake,700r4 with alto clutches, beast sun shell,13 vane pump,and more,others in progress hence the name.

Default looking for bot=lts

looking for bolts if you have a Fastenal in your area contact them if they don't have the bolts thay can custom make you the bolts you need to your specs.

great looking machine work on this really nice
    2003 CHEVY 4500 DURAMAX/ALLISON 14'
    SERVICE CRANE BODY 16,500 LBS 14.5 MPG
    1998 K3500 SRW CREW CAB TRANSPLANTED 6.5TD ELECTROINC INTO, HEATH COMPUTER, 40+HP INJECTORS, 4" EXHAUST, VACUUM ELEMTINATOR ON TURBO,UPGRADED COOLING WITH ALL GM PARTS,NO VACUUM PUMP, SST OIL COOLER LINES MADE LOCALY FRACTION OF THE COST, 3" TOURBO/BOOST GAUSGE ALL IN ONE, ADDED GEAR DRIVE GREAT HELP WITH STARTING TIME DOESN'T JUMP AROUND ANY MORE, INTERCOOLER 3" INLET AND OUTLET COOLER 12x24x4, ALSO ADDED MANDEL BENT CROSS OVER, HAD TRUCK REPAINTED AND OPUT ON ALUM FLAT BED

Have you talked to ARP?
    1987 Jeep Grand Wagoneer...new 6.5 in process...diamond block, 18:1's, other goodies...

Arrow

Slim, If you or anyone else would like to contact Andrew for a block girdle or any other custom machining, send me a PM with your email address, and I'll forward your note to him. I was in contact with Andrew as recently as a couple of months ago. I don't know if he does custom work for others, but it wouldn't hurt to ask... His custom Jesel roller rockers look really cool too!

Jim

I am a big fan of roller rockers. There is a lot of friction (heat, HP loss...) where those suckers ride on those shafts.
    1987 Jeep Grand Wagoneer...new 6.5 in process...diamond block, 18:1's, other goodies...

Default RE: girdle kit

More Power,I sent you a PM with my cell number. I am interested in the girdle if I can afford it. i like his work, still brings tears to my eyes. I did make it my screen saver and my background picture. Dam I like good machine work.

Slim
    Slim

1995 Chevy 2500,4x4, 5 spd, 6.2 .040 over, 18:1 ceramic coated pistons, Ported 6.5 turbo heads,6.5 high pop injectors, Gm-8 turbo ported turbine housing, custom intercooler, gm dual thermo, 130 gph water pump, 3 to 3.5 turbo down pipe to 4 inch exhaust. Custom electronic adjustable waste gate (got the idea from the Honda guys, Thanks), custom frame mount FSD cooler.

Your message has been forwarded...

Jim

looking for a little clarification here........i'm thinking that the girdle is just extra support or strength for your crank bearings to prevent the typical cracking on the block....am i right? sorry if it sounds stupid but i just wasn't positive and was hoping for an answer

I'm also wondering if its better to have the girdle or the splayed main caps.......i'd rather not take it to the machine shop because i'm not planning on doing a full rebuild just yet.

also curious if something like the girdle is easy to install, and are they rather readily available?

if adding the girdle is a good way to ensure i don't crack my block i'm thinking i should do it while i have the engine out of my truck.

thanks in advance for any advice
    Last edited by gophergunner; 06-06-2007 at 09:17.
    2011 VW Jetta TDI, pretty well loaded without leather.
    2006 GMC Sierra D-max, 4x4, 4 door, bumper, winch, Espar heater, and the HID lights are a nice touch too.....
    1986 GMC 3500, 454 on propane, 4 speed, 4x4, crew cab dually......the welding truck
    1984 Toyota 4x4 pickup, 4.3 V6, 700R4, Toyota t-case.......transforming into 4x4 cage buggy

My instincts tell me the girdle is plenty adequate.

I had an epiphany when I was working on my build. I dropped the crank in the block and was staring at it when the cause of block failures occured to me.

When the cylinder in any engine fires around TDC the stress put on the crank is not torsional, as many people think (that happens many degrees of rotation later), but rather a bending moment. LAter in the rotation there is a combined torsiona and bending moment. These bending moments flex the crank in the main bearing supports, and tend to push the caps back and forth along the axis of the main bearing bore. This, combined with the spreading force put on the main cap block threads from the bolts and the limited thread engagement of the outer holes, is what I believe initiates cracks in this region.

A sturdy girdle (preferably much heavier than the one DSG sells, but the DSG girdle is far better than no girdle) ties the caps together, and minimizes movement in the axis parallel to the crank bore. In theory this should drastically reduce the stress on the main webs. Since the caps won't move as much the crank's bending moment will also be reduced in magnitude, and this should (again, theoretically) reduce fatigue stress in the crank. Using studs in place of main bolts to get full thread engagement and reduce the spreading force on the bolt holes is also a big help. This is how I am building my 6.2, and I think these steps will pretty much solve the block and crank issues that these motors are known for.

MP:

Any pictures of the Jesel Roller Rockers available to post?

I recall the Grape was experimenting with some Mopar Roller Rockers.

HammerWerf
    1999 k2500 Suburban Pyro, Tranny Temp, Boost, K&N Air Filter, +3.5 qt tranny pan. 190000 miles
    1984 C20 249k miles DSG gear, SM-465, 3.73
    1983 C30 CC dualie. 308K miles on Chassis, TH400, 4-45 A/C Looking for a TurboCharger

Arrow

I just wish I had Andrew's machining skills... .

Jim

wow............i want!!!!!!!!!!
    2011 VW Jetta TDI, pretty well loaded without leather.
    2006 GMC Sierra D-max, 4x4, 4 door, bumper, winch, Espar heater, and the HID lights are a nice touch too.....
    1986 GMC 3500, 454 on propane, 4 speed, 4x4, crew cab dually......the welding truck
    1984 Toyota 4x4 pickup, 4.3 V6, 700R4, Toyota t-case.......transforming into 4x4 cage buggy

WOW does that fix the problem with those stupid nylon push pins who's Idea was that anyway? That is awesome machining.
    Can I buy those anywhere?
    America Love it or Leave!
    1999 Cheverolet K2500 Suburban 4X4 LT
    Hybrid Diesel/Vegetable Oil conversion by me
    In Memory of My Fallen FDNY Brothers
    Never forget Never Forgive

Arrow

The mods shown here were Andrew Ashwill's original ideas, as they pertain to the 6.5, and the full article was first published here in TDP in 2002. This electronic DS4 equipped 6.5 produced 226 horsepower and 426 lb-ft of torque at the rear wheels - on a chassis dyno. He was also running a Peninsular non-wastegated turbocharger and his own custom-built charge air cooler. Everything was top-drawer....

As I recall, the rockers and related components were off-the-shelf components, but the shaft mounts on the heads needed to be machined to accept them. You'll also note the aluminum spacer that raises the valve cover a small amount to provide a little more cover clearance - for the rocker adjusters. A little tin-smithing could work too, to create blisters in the valve covers for more rocker adjuster clearance... if it could be done in an aesthetic way.

Jim

I cant take any more. That man's machine work is spectacular, he is an artist when it comes to machine work.

I hope he will do a girdle for me.
    Slim