Thread: Performance exhaust

Default Performance exhaust

I have a 1995 Gmc C2500 6.5L VIN F truck. Am considering upgrading the exhaust system. Am trying to figure out if my truck has a catalytic converter or not. In the exhaust pipe just before the muffler is what appears to be a small muffler or resonator or something. My shop manual has a diagram of my exhaust system but did not say what that thing was before the muffler. It is my understanding the VIN F trucks have little or no emmissions on them (EGR, Cat, etc). I want to be sure if my truck came with a Cat or not to avoid problems later with state inspections and such. Any help would be appreciated.

They call it a soot trap.

It functions similar to a CAT and they do cause a lot of restriction in the system.

A good 4 inch system with a free flow muffler is the ticket.

There are down pipes that are also larger than stock (From the turbo down to below the engine where the frame straightens out)

A 4 inch pipe will not fit between the frame and the engine up to the turbo, so most are about 3 inch or so.

The cross over pipe can also be updated with a smooth flowing unit that will flow better.

If you have to pass an emissions check then you may want to consider a CAN that looks like the soot trap to fit in the spot ahead of the muffler.

This would be a simple visual thing is all.

Good luck..
    (1) 1995 Suburban 2500 4x4
    (1) 1997 Astro
    (1) 2005 Suburban (Papa Smurf)
    THIS IS BOW TIE COUNTRY

Default Performance exhaust

Thanks for the reply. In Texas they do not require an actual emmissions test on diesels, but they could do a visual inspection of the exhaust. That CAN idea could be the ticket! I just don't want to do a bunch of work and spend a lot of money to find out I can't get my truck inspected, then have to go back and fix it.

There are several companies that make a unit that looks like a soot trap/cat that simply have a pipe through them.

Weld into the system ahead of the muffler in the appropriate spot and all is good
    (1) 1997 Astro
    THIS IS BOW TIE COUNTRY

Can you tell me what companies? If not, no problem.

Try these guys..
    http://www.siliconeintakes.com/dsm-i...ter-p-320.html
    A 3" in the down pipe just after it levels out under the floor of the truck and then adapt up to 4 inch and run 4 inch back through a good high flow muffler and then over the the axle and out the back
    (1) 1997 Astro
    THIS IS BOW TIE COUNTRY

Thank you!

Hope things all work for ya..
    (1) 1997 Astro
    THIS IS BOW TIE COUNTRY