Thread: FASS fuel system

Default FASS fuel system

Hi guys.
    Is anyone running an electrical Fass or AirDog fuel seperator- System on its 6.2 n/a diesel?

Does anyone have any experience in this regard?

Does it make sense to Upgrade the fuel filter-& feed system?

Welcome to TDP

I have never had any experience with the system you referred to.

Depending on the year of the vehicle there is certainly room for improvement.

Early GM 6.2 trucks had a mechanical fuel pump and a dual filter system.

This evolved in later years into a single rectangular filter/water separator on the firewall.

Then came the electric fuel pump (Lift pump) which was standard until the 6.2/6.5 was discontinued in 2000

An improved filter/water separator is always good.

5 psi delivery pressure MAX and 2 to 5 micron filtration is all that's needed....

I personally think that the air dog is overkill for these engines.....

A good RACOR FILTER IS ALL YOU NEED

I like the Racor 230R2 It has a spin on filter with a removable water globe on the bottom.

Also has a primer pump built in.

Far less expensive than the Dog.
    (1) 1995 Suburban 2500 4x4
    (1) 1997 Astro
    (1) 2005 Suburban (Papa Smurf)
    THIS IS BOW TIE COUNTRY

Hello Robyn.

Thank you for your quick response and assessment.

The possibility with the cheaper single Racor filter is of course more space-& money saving and of course offers more options for installation in Combi nationalen with an electrical lift pump upgrade!

At AIRDOG, the air filter element makes me curious.
    especially with such an underpowered naturally aspirated engine like the 6.2D, this could have a noticeable effect on performance.

Unfortunately, neither FASS nor PureFlow have no test bench values ​​that show this in black and white! They all just show the filtered diesel fuel in their Test mount walls.

I think that it has a positive effect on starting and a smoother running of the engine

I looked into this kind of thing last year and quickly discarded the idea.

Those systems generate WAY too much pressure and simply won't work on the 6.2 NA.

I've been meaning to get a dual CAT filter head setup to make it easier (and therefore more likely) to check and change both fuel filters.

if you're looking for a performance upgrade the Banks Turbo is an option. Or Stans headers.

Keep in mind the 6.2 was not designed to be a powerhouse or high performance engine. Unlike the Cummins or the International/Navistar, the primary purpose of the 6.2 Detroit Diesel was/is fuel economy, not power or performance.

I don't begrudge anybody what they want to do with their own vehicle (hey, I spent $1,200 putting hydraulic disc brakes on a 1923 Ford Model T) but I've always viewed performance upgrades as sort of like souping up a VW Beetle; even after the upgrades you're still not going to have a performance or powerhouse engine.
    1983 Chevrolet C20

1923ish Ford Model T Touring

2000 Lincoln Town Car

Yessssss

The 6.2 Diesel was all about C A F E (Corporate average fuel economy) numbers...

It was quite common for a mid 80's K2500 Suburban to knock out 25 plus mpg on the highway.

Tossing this nice number into the averaging made a big difference for GM

The entire design of the 6.2 and the later 6.5 (Same engine basically) was not about horsepower.

The indirect injection (Pre cup style heads) just does not lend itself to big power.
    (1) 1995 Suburban 2500 4x4
    (1) 1997 Astro
    (1) 2005 Suburban (Papa Smurf)
    THIS IS BOW TIE COUNTRY