Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Detroit Diesel

Default 4-53t

tjmac77 can I ask what you paid for the 4-53T's

I am also a huge Detroit fan, thetechnology used to invent them in the late 40's is 100% amazing, quick reving engines- you tube is packed with tons of awesome videos of everything from 1-53 generator to a huge 12v71tt truck puller. Even a 16v92 and a 24V92 on some navy ship! Just type the engine code you want to see in the search field and your set.
    Now for my project, i am set on a simple Allison 545AT but the engine? here are my choices for light weight screaming jimmy's:

6v53Turbo
    6v71turbo- same physical size as the 53? just more of a bark and 2600 redline?
    4-71

OR

what about a cat 3208 turbo?? its just a tiny bit longer than a 7.3 block!!??

Take a old abused beat up 1987-1994 F350 and drop a cat 3208 and Allison 545 right in?
    Last edited by JRM; 03-16-2008 at 09:26.

I'd love to see it. Post up some pics when you get started!

Default Attn. DeezilDoc

DeezilDoc,

You mentioned a while back you had a 4-71 that needed rebuilding, and had an automotive bellhousing with it. Do you still have it? Do you have any other Detroits that you're willing to part with?

Looking to build myself a truck, but some of the wreckers around here don't take me seriously, and the others don't have any engines (good or bad) at all. The smaller Detroits seem to be a little scarce around here.

If your feeling up to it, send me an email.

ssapach@hotmail.com

Thanks
    2011 VW Jetta TDI, pretty well loaded without leather.
    2006 GMC Sierra D-max, 4x4, 4 door, bumper, winch, Espar heater, and the HID lights are a nice touch too.....
    1986 GMC 3500, 454 on propane, 4 speed, 4x4, crew cab dually......the welding truck
    1984 Toyota 4x4 pickup, 4.3 V6, 700R4, Toyota t-case.......transforming into 4x4 cage buggy

Quote Originally Posted by gophergunner View Post
    DeezilDoc,

You mentioned a while back you had a 4-71 that needed rebuilding, and had an automotive bellhousing with it.
    I've never heard of an automotive bellhousing for an inline 71 series engine. Seen them for inline 53 series though.

Default Automotive

Highway vehicles,Trucks AKA 18 wheelers are automotive. An easy way to identify is by model #'s the 4th deigit in the model # will tell you what application the engine was built for, this is in the General Information section of ALL the service manuals

Sorry, I misunderstood. Automotive vs marine bellhousing, both being SAE. I was thinking you meant automotive such as SM465/chevrolet bellhousing.

I just came up on a few 6v53's because of a re-power at work and I was considering dropping one in my '77 C30. I think it'd be hot. More of a novelty and not for any real hard core, serious towing more than 10k pounds. I pull a 7k pound skid steer and a 25' travel trailer occasionally. I just want something that will be a little better on fuel than my 454.

Any advice, ideas, encouragement or otherwise?

Anyone....

Thumbs up

Just do it!!
    Chevy Nova sedan 1977
    6.5 HD diesel/ 4L80e
    Gear drive timing set
    Ram air, E.P.S. stainless steel exhaust
    2.73 axle ratio/ 205-65-R15 tires
    new projeckt: Dodge W200 with Detroit 6V-92

Quote Originally Posted by 6.5NOVA View Post
    Just do it!!
    i agree.........i'd do it!!!!!!!!
    2006 GMC Sierra D-max, 4x4, 4 door, bumper, winch, Espar heater, and the HID lights are a nice touch too.....
    1986 GMC 3500, 454 on propane, 4 speed, 4x4, crew cab dually......the welding truck
    1984 Toyota 4x4 pickup, 4.3 V6, 700R4, Toyota t-case.......transforming into 4x4 cage buggy

Back in the late 70's i was helped my boss put a 453 in a 77 4wd 1/2 ton suburban. The biggest problem we had was that the engine wasn't working hard enough and would glaze the cylinder walls. He used it as a dd and he pulled trailers often. He put a scraper engine in it first then he bought a brand new engine and we put it in, we had to tear it down after a couple of years and deglaze the cylinders. These engines want to work hard. It was a lot of work to install an a lot of BS to deal with, I had to make a custom oil pan to clear the front diff and we had to make are own bell housing, he used a chrysler 727 with a factory overdrive unit on the back of it, I think it was an od could have been a u/d (long time ago) anyway that was the only trans like that i ever seen.
    Good luck doing the conversion and I hope you still like detroits as much when you are finished, O yea invest in a good set of ear plugs because the don't call them screamin detroits for nuthin
    Good luck
    If I can be of any assistance let me know rhrepairs@aol .com
    Ron
    rhsub 99K2500 suburban 6.5 code F,4L80, 4:10, FSD cooler, DSG oil cooler and lines, Dtech FSD, injectors, Isspro egt, trans and boost guages, Bilistein shocks

hi, im wondering if anyone has considered using a 3-53 in a jeep wrangler, i have a 91 YJ and would love to put a detroit in it. does anyone know also, if the 3-53Ts used in the gama goats were 4 valve head engines?

what would you use as a trans in such a conversion on a jeep wrangler?

Default Its Finished

I have been working on a 353 Gamma Goat engine going into a 85 Chevy K20 for a while and I finally finished. I like it, its loud as can be, and it won't run but 60, and you can't run 60 and hear yourself think at the same time, but other than that its great. I bolted it to the stock 4 spd since the bell housing and clutch was still on the motor. The main problem was the radiator sits lower than the engine and I had to make a new filler in the top radiator hose to get the head to fill all the way up with water. I will try to post some pictures. It sits about 3 inches from the axle and about 3 inches from the top of the hood, so the thought of getting it into a jeep is doubtful

Quote Originally Posted by andysfords View Post
    I have been working on a 353 Gamma Goat engine going into a 85 Chevy K20 for a while and I finally finished. I like it, its loud as can be, and it won't run but 60, and you can't run 60 and hear yourself think at the same time, but other than that its great. I bolted it to the stock 4 spd since the bell housing and clutch was still on the motor. The main problem was the radiator sits lower than the engine and I had to make a new filler in the top radiator hose to get the head to fill all the way up with water. I will try to post some pictures. It sits about 3 inches from the axle and about 3 inches from the top of the hood, so the thought of getting it into a jeep is doubtful
    Wow, can't wait for pics!!!! If you get a chance, please give a pic or two of the motor mounts.

Smile 4-53 transmission adapters for manual trans.-GM

Hi. I am an avid detroit diesel fan too and have put a 4-53T in a 1964 chevy suburban 4x4. It wasn't easy but worked okay. I was pretty happy with it overall. I have some part numbers for the bell housing stuff and info on the dimensions for the 4-53 engine if you are interested. Good luck. You may have already done the conversion by now! Scratch my head!

Smile Transmission adapters...

Hi Gophergunner. I have been reading the posts here and may have some help for you with the trans. part numbers for the 4-53. I have a 53 series SAE #3 housing too if you are interested. It is the housing that has the round opening for a trans with the SAE bolt pattern with 17 inch bolt to bolt pattern. The adapter adapts the rear housing of the engine to a standard GM bell housing to bolt up to a 4 bolt manual transmission with clutch and all. Not sure if the part numbers are valid anymore though. The adapter uses the standard rear trans mount across the frame. Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by Liftgate View Post
    Hi Gophergunner. I have been reading the posts here and may have some help for you with the trans. part numbers for the 4-53. I have a 53 series SAE #3 housing too if you are interested. It is the housing that has the round opening for a trans with the SAE bolt pattern with 17 inch bolt to bolt pattern. The adapter adapts the rear housing of the engine to a standard GM bell housing to bolt up to a 4 bolt manual transmission with clutch and all. Not sure if the part numbers are valid anymore though. The adapter uses the standard rear trans mount across the frame. Good luck!
    Well thanks for the info, but sadly my hopes and dreams of a Detroit powered pickup have been put on hold due to going back to school and spending too much time on my off-road project.

But i will keep this in mind if or when my project ever does fire up.

Default Detroit Diesel dimensions...

Here is some info for anyone interested in the dimensions of a detriot diesel they are contemplating for a conversion into a vehicle.

http://www.powerlinecomponents.com/l...c_drawings.htm

Default Detroit Diesel 2 cycle engine info...

Here is some info on the specs of the detroit diesel 2 cycle engines.

http://www.powerlinecomponents.com/l..._brochures.htm