Thread: What "Local Programming" needs doing on a replacement ECU?

Default What "Local Programming" needs doing on a replacement ECU?

Hi All, I've had to order a replacement ECU for my 97 Suburban 6.5td. All of the replacement ECUs state that "local programming is required" but no detail is provided.

Is there any documentation around giving instructions on what steps to take here?

Anyone done this before?

Arrow

Welcome aboard!

This is not a DIY process. You'll need to take/send the ECM to (nearly any) dealership, or an individual who has the image (the code written to the ECM) and the means to write to the ECM. The dealership will install the code according to your specific VIN, while most individuals/shops will use a code specific to your model, year and options (like auto vs. manual tranny). If you're considering an "upgrade" program, the time to do that is immediately, so you aren't paying to do it twice. www.kennedydiesel.com is a Diesel Page supporter, and should be able to do either for you.
    1985 Blazer 6.2
    2001 GMC 2500HD D/A
    dmaxmaverick@thedieselpage.com

I second Kennedy Diesel for the programming. One of John's tunes is in my 97 2 door Tahoe and I love it!
    Give him a call today!
    dave
    Dave, N9LOV
    Member #242
    Dave's Diesels:
    Sold June, 07 '82 1/2 ton 4X4;340k miles
    '97 2 Dr Tahoe, Intercooled,
    Kennedy ECM, 4" Exhaust
    '02 GMC

Well, interestingly, the ECU came in yesterday. I installed it and the old girl fired right up. I took it for a drive. Shift points seemed right, idle was right on the money, seemed a bit noisy but it was wicked cold (for NC) so i gave that a bye for now.

Long story short, all seems well. The original problem that came out of the clear blue was no Wait To Start light one morning. troubleshooting showed the entire glow plug system (and temp sensor) good and continuity was good all the way back to the ECU. Never had an ECU go bad in my life so this was kind of a Hail Mary move, glad it worked because I was out of things to look at.

This was an Autozone replacement (Blue Streak) - $90 with a coupon. The company did email and ask for the VIN, mileage, etc. before shipping so, from the comments so far, I'm assuming they did some programming before shipping it to me.

Jim

My Suburban (97 2500 2WD LT trim) was purchased new as a test/dev mule by (now defunct) Dynamic Turbo down in Florida. Its got all the normal 6.5 mods (Banks down pipe, Diamond Eye 4" Exhaust, relocated PMD). The ECU I'm replacing has labels saying "Property of Dynamic Turbo" and it did have a good tune.

I don't tow heavy or race but I did enjoy the 20-21 mpg on long trips. Hoping this stock ECU will get good mileage. Otherwise, I'll probably send it out for flashing with a good economy tune. I've seen some advertising 25 mpg but I'll remain skeptical until I hear it from someone I know and trust.

Jim

Arrow

That's good to know, and a spectacular price to boot (less $$ than a typical programming alone). Many suppliers don't typically ship parts w/o the VIN, or an exception. It sounds like they did calibrate it according to your vehicle, or you'd either have a dead duck, or a bucket full of DTC's.

In stock trim, the OEM calibration is marginal, as far as performance and economy goes. About the only thing you can do to improve it is push the TDCO (Top Dead Center Offset) to just short of the PCM puking itself (big PCM complaints, but harmless). Search for it here, or browse through the 6.5 tech forum.
    1985 Blazer 6.2
    2001 GMC 2500HD D/A
    dmaxmaverick@thedieselpage.com

I'll also echo Kennedy Diesel as a good choice if you decide to get some custom programming. I have a 95 that still uses a chip, but I am using Kennedy's tune. I was able to work with him to get it where I wanted it, and it only took 2 tries to get it perfect.

http://www.kennedydiesel.com/categor...bCategory2=164

Casey
    1995 K1500 Tahoe 2 door, 6.5LTD, 4L80E, NP241, 3.42's, 285/75R16 BFG K02's; 1997 506 block; Kennedy OPS harness, gauges, Quick Heat plugs, and TD-Max chip; Dtech FSD on FSD Cooler; vacuum pump deleted, HX35 turbo, Turbo Master, 3.5" Kennedy exhaust, F code intake; dual t/stats, HO water pump, Champion radiator; Racor fuel filter

If the only thing wrong with your old ECU is the glowplug system...
    You can make the glowplug sytem a manual system if the tune in the old ECU is something you want to drive with.
    Or you could send the old ECU to Kennedy and see if it can be repaired.
    90 Chev 3500 c/c 4x4,6.2na,400 auto,4:10 gears.DSG Timing gears,main girdle, isspro tach, pyro,boost,oil and trany temp.Dual Tstats, High volume peninsular pump,on shelf, Custom turbo and intercooler 85%complete. Change of plans for the dually, it's going to get a Cummins. Both trucks are Blue 90 4x4 crews